MTA planning drastic cuts to commuter bus service

https://ggwash.org/view/92154/gover...-services-they-should-be-restructured-instead

>Maryland Governor Wes Moore and Maryland Transportation Secretary (and former WMATA head) Paul Wiedefeld have announced a number of cuts designed to address the budget shortfall. Of note, cuts to state-of-good repair programs and current and planned MARC Brunswick line service were included, but most devastatingly, the cuts propose the cessation of all but the highest ridership commuter bus lines in 2025, with the service’s future beyond 2025 uncertain.

>Service is divided into the following categories:
  • 201-205: Commuter Bus routes using the ICC/MD-200
  • 210/215: Anne Arundel County routes to Baltimore
  • 200 evens: Anne Arundel and Queen Anne’s Counties routes to DC
  • 310/320: Howard County routes to Baltimore
  • 300 odds: Howard and Montgomery Counties routes to DC
  • 400s: Harford County routes to Baltimore
  • 500s: Washington and Frederick Counties routes to Montgomery County
  • 600s: Prince George’s and Charles Counties routes to DC
  • 700s: Charles and St Mary’s Counties routes to DC
  • 800s: Prince George’s and Calvert Counties routes to DC

>The unfortunate reality of budget cuts means that various services have to compete against one another for funds. Commuter bus ridership is at 17% of capacity and is trending at less than 35% of pre-COVID levels. This makes it a prime target for saving money, especially compared to the much-more-used MARC train and the entire BaltimoreLink system, the backbone of public transit for the Baltimore area.

>Unfortunately, $3.15 billion is a massive gap to close. With the persistence of telework, the Commuter Bus was never going to have the recovery of other transit modes. Serving the DC suburbs also meant that recovery was going to look especially limited compared to peer transit agencies. Because of the flagging ridership, it’s inevitable that there will be cuts.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Does it really matter when everyone is working from home at the bar?

The buses out of North Beach used to be full, now they're not.

I was on a committee several years ago looking at the bus service in Calvert County, both commuter and intra-County. I found it enlightening that the State official supervising the commuter service for Calvert didn't know, or even have it in his documents, how many buses serviced the County.

sunshine98

Guessing the majority of the commuter bus riders are well-paid professionals that could drive to the metro station. I would rather have this cut than my taxes raised.

On a related note, local Calvert buses are going fare free. Seems to make sense.

SamSpade

This may prove problematic later on, when government agencies collectively demand that government employees return to their buildings.
My agency has taken this long lull in office activity to enact a full scale renovation, but they have a plan for the return of everyone. It keeps getting pushed further into the future, but it is coming.

It would be a good idea for MTA to keep abreast of this, lest one day late this fall they sudden;y have a CRUSH of commuters at their stops cramming onto buses ill equipped for the surge.

GregV814

one more part of the plan...... make America a third world sh!thole, like India.... IMagine 64 people hanging on the side of a 1948 Chevrolet school bus in Hyattsville with three goats on the roof and a chorus of huddled masses chanting "do da bus stop 'ere, do da bus stop 'ere..."

SamSpade

one more part of the plan...... make America a third world sh!thole, like India.... IMagine 64 people hanging on the side of a 1948 Chevrolet school bus in Hyattsville with three goats on the roof and a chorus of huddled masses chanting "do da bus stop 'ere, do da bus stop 'ere..."
Thing is, MTA refuses to accept passengers if they have to STAND in the aisle. The joke was always "there's ONE MORE seat behind the door!" but I've only seen them allow it once - when it was the last bus and the previous bus had broken down.

KNOWING the idiotic way state agencies plan, the federal government could inform them months in advance and they still wouldn't have adjusted their schedule. I can see how they could become complacent with a more relaxed schedule.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Guessing the majority of the commuter bus riders are well-paid professionals that could drive to the metro station. I would rather have this cut than my taxes raised.

On a related note, local Calvert buses are going fare free. Seems to make sense.

Something I learned when I was on that committee I mentioned upthread was so mind boggling that I couldn't process it right away and had the person say it again. Twice.

What was the statement? It turns out that the County transportation agencies don't want to increase ridership because when it goes up the fare subsidy from the State drops so each new rider costs more.