Muzzleloader Season: Any Reports Yet?

somdshootnet

Any luck with the muzzleloader season yet? I have not had the chance to get back out there yet, but, I hope to make the venture out today. Just curious if anyone has seen or gotten anything yet, it's been quiet in the hunting world for the past few days, I guess the snow has slowed of us down, but, I have gotten new pictures from the few who have had the time to go.

ylexot

Super Genius
My muzzleloader (CVA Electra) arrives today! I'm going to try to make it out a few times over the next few days.

My buddy got a nice doe Monday. Headshot.
Coming home on the bus yesterday saw 2 monster doe and 3 regular sized doe in the woods south of SoMD Hospital. With the snow on the ground the deer stand out like a sore thumb.
taking my oldest boy out tomorrow to try to stalk some.

somdshootnet

I went out this afternoon for a bit. Walking in the snow is useless ( this I already knew), there's just enough crust on the top to make one man sound like a herd of buffalo, by the time you would get to your stand, every deer in 5 mile radius would have heard you coming, so, I'm just gonna pack it in for a while and start fresh next week maybe. I'm in no rush to get out there this week, I have until the end of February yet.

somdshootnet

My muzzleloader (CVA Electra) arrives today! I'm going to try to make it out a few times over the next few days.

Let us know how soon you decide to sell the Electra. I'm really curious to see how long your's lasts. I know many guys who have owned them and they sold them after a few weeks. I personally don't want to be anywhere near a battery reliant ignition system, and this has been the reason so many guys have pawned them off within weeks and months. IMO, there are enough variables associated with a muzzleloader firing or not firing, and a battery spark I am not a fan of, much like an electronic cigarette lighter, couple clicks later, it finally lights. Some guys have had these guns since they arrived on the market, but, in my experience, many have been resold quite fast.

ylexot

Super Genius
Let us know how soon you decide to sell the Electra. I'm really curious to see how long your's lasts. I know many guys who have owned them and they sold them after a few weeks. I personally don't want to be anywhere near a battery reliant ignition system, and this has been the reason so many guys have pawned them off within weeks and months. IMO, there are enough variables associated with a muzzleloader firing or not firing, and a battery spark I am not a fan of, much like an electronic cigarette lighter, couple clicks later, it finally lights. Some guys have had these guns since they arrived on the market, but, in my experience, many have been resold quite fast.

I researched it for a while and never found a bad review. :shrug: Your comment, "I personally don't want to be anywhere near a battery reliant ignition system" is what I usually see. I'm not afraid of that and I'll take the advantages of never needing a primer, easier cleaning, and smoother trigger. :shrug:

BTW, it's actually much closer to a stun gun than an electronic cigarette lighter.

somdshootnet

I researched it for a while and never found a bad review. :shrug: Your comment, "I personally don't want to be anywhere near a battery reliant ignition system" is what I usually see. I'm not afraid of that and I'll take the advantages of never needing a primer, easier cleaning, and smoother trigger. :shrug:

BTW, it's actually much closer to a stun gun than an electronic cigarette lighter.

LOL, I hear you, you may not need to carry caps, but, we all know the quality of batteries these days. Just keep me posted when you get it and have had time to try it out for a week or 2. These guns have repeatedly been praised for accuracy and ease of cleaning, my old Traditions Pursuit XT follows suit in that category too, but, the ignition system has been the fault in the Electra models, again for many reasons.

I am quit interested in hearing what you have to say about it. I have also noticed the prices on those particular muzzleloaders have dropped significantly since they arrived on the market a short few years ago. They have basically fallen about $250.00 from their original introductory prices that were in the $550 -$600 range and they are pretty much available anywhere now for $350-$400, I also see many rebates available for them anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 off. I can only assume that this is to help deplete the remaining stock of those models, since the Electra has pretty much been excused from production already. The Electra was/is not a popular model, for many reasons.

However, I still want to read your review in the future on your purchase. So, with all that said, I have purchased a few muzzleloaders in the past years that I felt were the bad-assest of them all, but, I too learned from use and experience, they all have flaws and aggravations.

And a funny thought that just happened upon me, I think a box of 100 209 primers is cheaper than a 9 volt battery and a spare these days???? LOL

Also, I would like you to conduct and experiment with that gun. I want to know how fast you can actually fire it, and then reload it, and fire it again, the reason why I say this is, one of the issues with the gun has been the delay time for the ignition to reset itself before you can refire the gun, I want to see some more cold hard facts about this issue. Personally, I don't understand the issue myself, claims say there is a 20 second delay before you can refire... I have never in my life ever had a reason to refire a muzzleloader in under 20 second, so, this claim, I have written off myself, But, I am still curious to see if it can be done, if needed.

Merry Christmas to you ylexot, and everyone else as well.

Last edited:

cmhurley1

I've been out 4 times this week, despite the lovely snow/ice covered ground. Ive seen pretty much nothing. 2 deer, both of unconfirmed sex due to the range and the poor light. they still seem to be moving more at night lately, both ive seen were heading for thick cover at first light. Ive heard 1 muzzleloader shot in the last week, a few shotguns going off, hopefully someone doing some squirrel hunting, nothing stupid. We need to try and make it happen ASAP, i hear were expecting more snow in the middle of next week. which is just awesome. :cds:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Any luck with the muzzleloader season yet? I have not had the chance to get back out there yet, but, I hope to make the venture out today. Just curious if anyone has seen or gotten anything yet, it's been quiet in the hunting world for the past few days, I guess the snow has slowed of us down, but, I have gotten new pictures from the few who have had the time to go.

FredCo, two days after the storm, buddy of mine was out and had four roll up on him. He blasted Bambi #1, reload, blasted Bambi #2, reloaded and blasted Bambi #3!!! Number 4 was the only one that had a clue and got the hell out of Dodge. :lol:

He had to borrow our tractor to haul 'em all out. Bucket o' blood. It was great!

:buddies:

FredCo, two days after the storm, buddy of mine was out and had four roll up on him. He blasted Bambi #1, reload, blasted Bambi #2, reloaded and blasted Bambi #3!!! Number 4 was the only one that had a clue and got the hell out of Dodge. :lol:

He had to borrow our tractor to haul 'em all out. Bucket o' blood. It was great!

:buddies:
Sounds like FUN!

Took boy #1 out yesterday morning behind the house.

He lasted a little over an hour. "My feet are REALLY cold, can I go back inside?". Hadn't seen anything but squirrels. Didn't want to turn him off of hunting (this was his first time out there with me). Looked around, didn't see anything. Told him "OK, but go behind the tree and straight up the hill." He did so. When he was about 1/2 way up the hill I thought I heard a deer snort.

Didn't see anything and left the woods at 10:00

About 3:00 I went back to collect the blind I had left in the woods as I won't be hunting again. Also took the ML to discharge it. Went down to the creek bottom to make sure there were no deer or hunters in the area. In doing so I saw the tracks from the deer Boy had jumped earlier. Another 30 minutes and the deer would have walked right to us. Anyway, saw nothing in the area. Took a sight on a spot on a dead stump 125 yards away. Sabot hit dead on. Not bad for a load left in the gun since last year and a $99.99 after tax CVA Optima inline.