My friend brought home a

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Wow I did not know you could bring home souvenirs from Tuckahoe ...

heads up everyone that went to tuckahoe check your stuff..

It has been confirmed : Baby copperhead..:yikes:.B&L's mom was sleeping in a tent and found this in rolled up in her jeans when she got home ..:faint:

Attachments

• snakecopperhead408.jpg
    snakecopperhead408.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 245

Woodyspda

Sorry to say, but she didn't need to bring one back with her. There are plenty here already. Last batch I heard about were in a friends yard in Town Creek.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Sorry to say, but she didn't need to bring one back with her. There are plenty here already. Last batch I heard about were in a friends yard in Town Creek.

ya I know !! we had a big a$$ one in our driveway way back when we first moved in here ...NO Thank You ..

epona

YIKES!! I'll remember to check everything next time we camp at Tuckahoe usually we bring home a bad case of chiggers. A copperhead would be way worse. Were you camped near the barn or across Crouse Mill Rd. in the woods?

B&L's Mom

Copperhead 4 sure!

Yeap! It was definitely a copperhead... can't tell by the destruction I brought on it! Never leaped out of a room so fast like that before. Didn't know I had such long legs! All campin gear out on the lawn before coming into house!

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Yeap! It was definitely a copperhead... can't tell by the destruction I brought on it! Never leaped out of a room so fast like that before. Didn't know I had such long legs! All campin gear out on the lawn before coming into house!

I told you to sleep in the RV :whistle:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR

This is a funny fread on so many levels.

AIIIIGH i got a snake in my pants:killingme

and then the frantic exit:lmao:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Maybe it's a bad pic, but that doesn't look like a copperhead. :confused:

:whistle: I agree. I've seen them before up close and personal.
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/ncopperhead1.jpg

Copperheads have rather distinctive markings but the easiest way to tell a venomous from a non-venomous snake is their the shape of their head.

Here's more info about our two local venomous snakes - Venemous Snakes in Maryland - Maryland's Wildlife Species - Natural Heritage Program - Wildlife and Heritage Service

B&L's Mom

sorry... wasn't gettin up close enough to find out if it was venemous or non!

It was a baby... so the colors and markings were not that intense!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Saw one on the last step of my porch the other night. Normally I'm :jameo: but this time I saw it first. Really small - maybe 8 or 9 inches. I "encouraged" it to move along. Needless to say I've been watching vigilantly since then and if I go outside at night its with a strong flashlight.

:whistle: I agree. I've seen them before up close and personal.
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/ncopperhead1.jpg

Copperheads have rather distinctive markings but the easiest way to tell a venomous from a non-venomous snake is their the shape of their head.

Here's more info about our two local venomous snakes - Venemous Snakes in Maryland - Maryland's Wildlife Species - Natural Heritage Program - Wildlife and Heritage Service

And the pupils are round on non venomous and elliptical on copperheads.

tommyjones

sorry... wasn't gettin up close enough to find out if it was venemous or non!

It was a baby... so the colors and markings were not that intense!

baby copperheads have bright green tails, If you weren't close enough to look closely at its head you probably killed a gartersnake.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
baby copperheads have bright green tails,

NOT ; A baby copperhead is tan with copper colored saddlebag-shaped blotches and a bright yellow tail tip.

Outdoor Rules for Avoiding Snakebites

Never put your hands and feet in places you cannot see, or without first looking. Don't sit on a log or rock pile without first looking about carefully,OR A CEMENT BLOCK and watch where you place your hands and feet when climbing trees or rocks.

Stay on paths when hiking, and try to avoid areas with tall grass or underbrush. Don't crawl beneath fences or into thickets without first looking carefully

If you see a snake, don't disturb or try to kill them, and enver attempt to capture a venomous or unknown snake without proper training. Never fool around or show off with any type of snake dangerous or not.

Never handle freshly killed snakes especially venomous ones. A newly dead snake is capable of delivering a bite because still active nerves may trigger muscle contractions in the snake.

Don't get within a snake's striking range when attempting to identify it.

Always use caution when moving brush piles or other objects, such as boats, that have been on the ground for some time, especially if they are located near woods, fields, or swamps.

Myth - All Snake bites are fatal.

Fact - You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to die from a venomous snake bite. Pit Vipers are responsible for about 8,000 bites each year in the United States. Roughy 44% of venomous snake bites occurred through accidents, such as stepping on the snakes. Over 55% resulted from the victim grabbing or handling the snakes, and 28% of those did so while intoxicated. Deaths resulting from these bites are almost non-existent. About one-tenth of 1% of all snake bite victims die each year, and most of them received no medical treatment or first-aid. All snakes have teeth, but only venomous snakes have fangs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The content of this page was originally written a few years ago as a public handout. It was revised for use on my web site with the inclusion of photos on May 9, 2000. The layout of the page was reformatted on June 11, 2001. It was last updated August 25, 2001.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wyvern's Lair ©1997-2001

tommyjones

baby copperheads have bright green tails,

NOT ; A baby copperhead is tan with copper colored saddlebag-shaped blotches and a bright yellow tail tip.

Outdoor Rules for Avoiding Snakebites

Never put your hands and feet in places you cannot see, or without first looking. Don't sit on a log or rock pile without first looking about carefully,OR A CEMENT BLOCK and watch where you place your hands and feet when climbing trees or rocks.

Stay on paths when hiking, and try to avoid areas with tall grass or underbrush. Don't crawl beneath fences or into thickets without first looking carefully

If you see a snake, don't disturb or try to kill them, and enver attempt to capture a venomous or unknown snake without proper training. Never fool around or show off with any type of snake dangerous or not.

Never handle freshly killed snakes especially venomous ones. A newly dead snake is capable of delivering a bite because still active nerves may trigger muscle contractions in the snake.

Don't get within a snake's striking range when attempting to identify it.

Always use caution when moving brush piles or other objects, such as boats, that have been on the ground for some time, especially if they are located near woods, fields, or swamps.

Myth - All Snake bites are fatal.

Fact - You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to die from a venomous snake bite. Pit Vipers are responsible for about 8,000 bites each year in the United States. Roughy 44% of venomous snake bites occurred through accidents, such as stepping on the snakes. Over 55% resulted from the victim grabbing or handling the snakes, and 28% of those did so while intoxicated. Deaths resulting from these bites are almost non-existent. About one-tenth of 1% of all snake bite victims die each year, and most of them received no medical treatment or first-aid. All snakes have teeth, but only venomous snakes have fangs.

The content of this page was originally written a few years ago as a public handout. It was revised for use on my web site with the inclusion of photos on May 9, 2000. The layout of the page was reformatted on June 11, 2001. It was last updated August 25, 2001.

The Wyvern's Lair ©1997-2001

I've seen plenty of baby copperheads, my bright green is apparently their bright yellow......

whatever, the dead snake didn't have either, or the right markings.