My friend brought home a

tommyjones

Hmmmm... didn't realize you were in the house to see the actual snake. Pic doesn't do justice!

while it might not do it justice, it does show a dark colored snake with a brown bellie and DARK TAIL.....

the yellow or green tail stands out like a traffic cone.....

but hey, call it a copperhead if it makes you feel important :bigwhoop:

B&L's Mom

Found a snake it my driveway last year. Neighbor (has snakes as pets) came over to take a look. Said it was a copperhead. Baby snake looked identical. Hmmmmmm. guess I could be mistaken!

Never take a chance... if you're not sure!

tommyjones

Found a snake it my driveway last year. Neighbor (has snakes as pets) came over to take a look. Said it was a copperhead. Baby snake looked identical. Hmmmmmm. guess I could be mistaken!

Never take a chance... if you're not sure!

well there you have it ladies and gentlemen, kill em all and let god sort the out :bigwhoop:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
:howdy:

I can't believe you brought that little sucker back with you. I have two words...heart attack! How in the heck did you find it after you ran out of the house?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
well there you have it ladies and gentlemen, kill em all and let god sort the out :bigwhoop:

:killingme

I guess we're wrong, I mean if the neighbor said so. Who cares what the department of natural resources says, obviously DNR is wrong and we're smartasses.

Here's a juvie copperhead
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/scopperjuv3.jpg

And, again here's one with a cute little ant next to it (on the right) notice the coloring and yellow tail? Obviously a small, young copperhead.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/images/babycopperhead.jpg

:killingme

I guess we're wrong, I mean if the neighbor said so. Who cares what the department of natural resources says, obviously DNR is wrong and we're smartasses.

Here's a juvie copperhead
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/scopperjuv3.jpg

And, again here's one with a cute little ant next to it (on the right) notice the coloring and yellow tail? Obviously a small, young copperhead.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/images/babycopperhead.jpg

No mistaking those two little guys.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
baby :/copperheads have bright green tails,

NOT ; A baby copperhead is tan with copper colored saddlebag-shaped blotches and a bright yellow tail tip.

Outdoor Rules for Avoiding Snakebites

Never put your hands and feet in places you cannot see, or without first looking. Don't sit on a log or rock pile without first looking about carefully,OR A CEMENT BLOCK and watch where you place your hands and feet when climbing trees or rocks.

Stay on paths when hiking, and try to avoid areas with tall grass or underbrush. Don't crawl beneath fences or into thickets without first looking carefully

If you see a snake, don't disturb or try to kill them, and enver attempt to capture a venomous or unknown snake without proper training. Never fool around or show off with any type of snake dangerous or not.

Never handle freshly killed snakes especially venomous ones. A newly dead snake is capable of delivering a bite because still active nerves may trigger muscle contractions in the snake.

Don't get within a snake's striking range when attempting to identify it.

Always use caution when moving brush piles or other objects, such as boats, that have been on the ground for some time, especially if they are located near woods, fields, or swamps.

Myth - All Snake bites are fatal.

Fact - You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to die from a venomous snake bite. Pit Vipers are responsible for about 8,000 bites each year in the United States. Roughy 44% of venomous snake bites occurred through accidents, such as stepping on the snakes. Over 55% resulted from the victim grabbing or handling the snakes, and 28% of those did so while intoxicated. Deaths resulting from these bites are almost non-existent. About one-tenth of 1% of all snake bite victims die each year, and most of them received no medical treatment or first-aid. All snakes have teeth, but only venomous snakes have fangs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The content of this page was originally written a few years ago as a public handout. It was revised for use on my web site with the inclusion of photos on May 9, 2000. The layout of the page was reformatted on June 11, 2001. It was last updated August 25, 2001.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wyvern's Lair ©1997-2001
Oh great...I have already been struck by lightning!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
it looks rather long and thin for a copperhead. CHs are quite short and chunky, and when riled they emit a distinctive cucumber like defensive odor. I've smelled it many a times on the heel of my boot, it sticks with ya for a loooong time. That's the ONLY snake RC will kill, because they do so much damage to other creatures (peeps, dogs etc).
Corn snakes are often mistaken for a C-H because they are similarly colored, and they are longer and thinner like that one is, as juveniles. But the bottom line is, never take chances!! The novice can't tell the difference, better safe than sorry, as young C-H venom is far more potent than the adult's, and they're more easily riled up and apt to bite.

I have a BIG one pickeled at home we found in our back yard, I'll show it to the kids at the SMTR youth meeting Friday night.
We gave the snake (and other dangerous plants/animals) speil at HSS in trail class last year too.

Last edited: