My gecko won't eat his crickets..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
He also needs a certain amount of moisture in the cage. You may have it too hot with a heat rock AND heat pad underneath. Thermometers are necessary to keep him the right temp. Gut loaded means feeding the crickets with a super food prior to feeding so the lizard gets that nutrition in addition to the cricket, skinny crickets aren't very nutrutious. They also will eat meal worms. You can also drop the crickets into some powdered vitamins prior to feeding them to him too.
you can pm rottncop (look for him in the members list), he can probably give you some advice too. taking him in and out of his environment (like travelling to the vet) is VERY stressful on them. they are for looking at not playing with.
:peace: congrats on your new pet!!

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
happyappygirl said:
He also needs a certain amount of moisture in the cage. You may have it too hot with a heat rock AND heat pad underneath. Thermometers are necessary to keep him the right temp. Gut loaded means feeding the crickets with a super food prior to feeding so the lizard gets that nutrition in addition to the cricket, skinny crickets aren't very nutrutious. They also will eat meal worms. You can also drop the crickets into some powdered vitamins prior to feeding them to him too.
you can pm rottncop (look for him in the members list), he can probably give you some advice too. taking him in and out of his environment (like travelling to the vet) is VERY stressful on them. they are for looking at not playing with.
:peace: congrats on your new pet!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
He/she ate beofre the appt. so I didn't have to go. This may may sound weird, but how do I know if it's male or female?

mainman

Set Trippin
maxima87 said:
He/she ate beofre the appt. so I didn't have to go. This may may sound weird, but how do I know if it's male or female?
The following :

Sexing your gecko is not very difficult. :lmao: Male geckos are larger, heavier in the neck region, have a line of small pores on their belly between their hindlegs which are just in front of the anal opening or vent and they exhibit two swellings at their tail base and just past the vent. Females lack the large size, in general, and the pre-anal pores and post-anal swellings are missing. Sex can't be easily seen until your gecko reaches 5-6" in total length. Most of the geckos sold in pet shops are females.

was cut from: http://www.leopardgecko.com/emcare.html

:roflmao:... Don't forget --------> Sexing your gecko is not very difficult.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
mainman said:
The following :

Sexing your gecko is not very difficult. :lmao: Male geckos are larger, heavier in the neck region, have a line of small pores on their belly between their hindlegs which are just in front of the anal opening or vent and they exhibit two swellings at their tail base and just past the vent. Females lack the large size, in general, and the pre-anal pores and post-anal swellings are missing. Sex can't be easily seen until your gecko reaches 5-6" in total length. Most of the geckos sold in pet shops are females.

was cut from: http://www.leopardgecko.com/emcare.html

:roflmao:... Don't forget --------> Sexing your gecko is not very difficult.

JuJu is only about 2 1/2 inches but you are more than welcome to sex it for me!!!

B

baswm

Bogart said:
The pet stores usually don't tell you this but heat from above is always better than heat from below. Heat rocks aren't a good idea.
:yeahthat: same goes for the heat pad. They like indirect heat such as a heat lamp.