My healthcare costs to rise 233%

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'll be switching to a high deductible plan with a HSA. I like the tax shelter it provides along with the option to invest in mutual funds. Almost like a Roth 401(k) for health care.

doing this was the most cost-effective way to go, while still maintaining a pretty good level of care. Plus, my company is giving me $3,000 to put in the HSA, and another $1,000 every year.

I haven't been to the doctors in close to 6-7 years, so hopefully it just sits in the HSA and collects interest until I need it, or can withdraw it after I'm 65 years old.

Sounds pretty good I had an accountant friend mention the same thing. I need to talk to my employer about this.

Chris0nllyn

Sounds pretty good I had an accountant friend mention the same thing. I need to talk to my employer about this.

Good luck.

I sat through a 2.5 hour meeting yesterday going over all this. The entire time I just kept thinking, "this is why costs are so high, all these stupid regulations and rules".

That being said, I've got tons of notes. I'm no expert, but I can try to answer anyone's questions about it.

Chris0nllyn

Apparently, the idea behind all this is to get people more in tune with healthcare. Right now, a lot of this stuff (billing) is behind the scenes. You don't really know what the doc will charge, what they'll test, and/or what the insurance company will pay.

A tip/trick I was told is for example:
Let's say you go get a yearly physical, and the doc draws blood. That is a routine physical and covered fully under my HDHP (high deductible heath plan), not sure about your specific plan though.

Now, some docs may call you on the phone and go over your results. some may want yo0u to come back in for a visit to discuss. Technically, that second visit can be billed as a "specialty" visits, and subject to deductibles. aka, you're paying full price for the visit, not just covered in full or a simple co-pay.

So, if you can, get the blood drawn first, then go over the results during your physical to avoid the second, more costly charge.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've never had one. We have a small mammal volunteer who handles those. I hear they can be really great pets with active children.

:yay:

if you like kittens, you will LOVE Ferrets ... they play like 6 week old kittens their entire lives

FollowTheMoney

If I keep my PPO plan (which isn't as good as last year's plan), my per-paycheck costs will increase 233%.
This number is really meaningless without the original dollar amount. ie I was paying $20 per paycheck but it's increased 233% to $66.60.
This would be a huge difference and more of a wow, G.. damn factor, if it was say, $189 per paycheck with a 233% increase to $629.37.
So in this context you could really just be complaining about nothing. Relatively speaking.
Here's the need info. How many paychecks per month and the actual dollar amount before the increase. Please. Then your
post might have some actual weight to it.
So everybody here. Give some real numbers please, as a percentage number is meaningless without the original number to the equation.

intertidal

This number is really meaningless without the original dollar amount. ie I was paying $20 per paycheck but it's increased 233% to $66.60.
This would be a huge difference and more of a wow, G.. damn factor, if it was say, $189 per paycheck with a 233% increase to $629.37.
So in this context you could really just be complaining about nothing. Relatively speaking.
Here's the need info. How many paychecks per month and the actual dollar amount before the increase. Please. Then your
So everybody here. Give some real numbers please, as a percentage number is meaningless without the original number to the equation.

That is a very good and mathematically valid point. I'm surprised to see it here. Have you read the book "How to Lie with Statistics"?

Chris0nllyn

Fair enough.

I would have gone from $120 and some change a paycheck, to $300 per paycheck if I would have kept my PPO plan.

FollowTheMoney

Fair enough. I would have gone from $120 and some change a paycheck, to $300 per paycheck if I would have kept my PPO plan.
Now that is a kick in the pants with a wow, G.. damn factor. But with a 233% increase it should have taken it to $399.60. Not trying to pick you apart, but math is math.

Chris0nllyn

Now that is a kick in the pants with a wow, G.. damn factor. But with a 233% increase it should have taken it to $399.60. Not trying to pick you apart, but math is math.

Technically, 233% would be $279, but they also raised my dental insurance from $0 to $25.

TPD

the poor dad

So based on your logic, a 233% increase in a gallon of gas - $3.30 to $10.98 - means little. A gallon of milk from $4.25 to $14.15 is chump change. A 16 oz soda from $1.79 to $5.96 is just pocket change.

In my accounting world, a 233% increase in anything is a lot, no matter what the dollar figure! Just sayin...