My new Fillies

mingiz

Horse Poor
Sunday we played with these fillies for the first time. They did wonderfully well for 6 mos & 7mos. As you can see they are very trusting. The Grullo is Dallie and the grullo paint is Cowgirl. I was in total shock that these babies let us sit on them without a fuss....Just wanted to BRAG!!!! :thewave: I posted pics hope they show up.....

changeling

6 & 7 months old? :nono: Why are you sitting on them? They're bones and joints are not ready for that. The more you work with them the better but there are many better exercises to do with them other than sitting on their backs.

W

WildHorses

changeling said:
6 & 7 months old? :nono: Why are you sitting on them? They're bones and joints are not ready for that. The more you work with them the better but there are many better exercises to do with them other than sitting on their backs.

Beautiful girls. :flowers: However, I'm afraid I have to agree with Changeling on this one, aren't they a little young to be putting weight on their backs? :confused: I've raised fillies and never has the vet allowed me to put any weight on their backs until their knees have completely closed. In fact, one time we had to wait four years for one particularly slow growing filly. However, she does have the legs of a two year old at the ripe old age of 18, so the vet must know something. :howdy:

Last edited by a moderator:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Ok before everyone gets in an uproar...and makes a big deal over nothing. I don't intend on sitting on these fillies until they are ready. Not stupid here. We were just messing with them and that's all!!!! I was just stating that they were very trusting. Hell maybe today I will go put my 35lb saddle on them and ride the sh*t out of them. Would you rather hear that......

mingiz said:
Ok before everyone gets in an uproar...and makes a big deal over nothing. I don't intend on sitting on these fillies until they are ready.
I admit I'm not a horsey person, but to me it looks like somebody already did sit on them.

W

WildHorses

appyday said:
Really cute looking babies...start out though with jackets and other items not people especially people so big...mabie a 2 yr old with someone holding them...Lots of good things you can be doing...knees are not sealed at this time and BACKS this young damm you dont want a sway caused by weight..anyway if you need help let me know...wish mine were so fat/healthy...they have a couple months to go to be as old as yours...good luck...

:yeahthat: Throwing random light objects on their back will get them used to the eventual rider in a few years. Saddle pads, bareback pads, jackets, plastics bags, etc. tossed on their backs work. Once they're desensitized they'll have no problems. Definitely was not trying to be mean, just concerned. :flowers:

W

WildHorses

mainman said:
Is appyday everyone in this thread besides me and you?

While I respect her opinions greatly, I'm also not appyday. :howdy: I'm not even equineaddict. :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO you're HappyAppyAppydayHorselady silly..... :)gossip: sometimes we have to remind her..)

Mingz, I know you wouldn't hurt your fillies, and that was just a one time thing you did. :huggy:
I have put my 8 y/o daughter on my then 14 month old stud colt and walked him around :)shocking: ), and he didn't bat an eye. She weighs about 70 lbs. He also gets all sorts of stuff thrown over and onto him. He's very outgoing and laid back as a result. I'm sure your babies will be the same.

Be sure to separate them and don't treat them as one horse, which is easy to do. You can bring them over here to walk the trails :biggrin: I'll help!!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Thanks happyappygirl :huggy: I would never hurt any type of animal..... Thanks for the offer to come to your place. We have plenty of trails we can take them on. Were thinking about ponying them after this wetness clears up. I throw everything I can at them to desensetise them. The more there exposed to the better. Again thanks

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
You've done a wonderful job with that big, sweet paint filly you have, and her back is nice a straight, although a bit WIIIDE :lol:

The proof is in the pudding i say. :biggrin:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
My filly born March 2004 (comming a 2 year old) is a Rugged Lark QH / Ferns dancer-Native Dancer TB. She is absolutely pewwnie. Her daddy was a very late bloomer so I believe she will be also. I saddled her for the first time for her round pen play time. Even though it was a small old english saddle it looked like bigfoots foot on her back. I donot plan to do any mounted work till she is 3 approx. Right now we are doing allot of Parelli based stuff.
She didnt care a like and kept right on with our lesson at hand. :love: I love her soooo much. Im glad that she is so passive because shes my first baby!
I will try to share a pic...if I can figure out how.

Mingiz have a ball with your babies and be safe ...those suckers will jump in your lap when you least expect it. :lmao:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Thanks :huggy: Been past the in your lap stage. I've been working horses most of my life. From mucking to training pacers and trotters. My last 3 horses I never rode before buying. I just watched...And all of them were great. I have a 2 1/2 yro b/w gaited filly at home (Summer aka Sumsum) that i raised from the ground up. She is very smart. Has never offered to kick or buck. She has been saddled and took well to it. She will stand for you to crack a whip around, beside or over her. She moves away from pressure well and knows a verbal over when your working around her.She is ready for a rider to get a start on her and then very light work until she is 3. Then depending on her she is for sale or will be mine. I'm a QH girl but have rode some gaited ones. I like the fox trotter. Smooth! I just want to see if I can do as well with these two. I'm not a trainer by far but I do have a degree in the horse school of hard knocks. :crazy: Oh an Yes my lil paint pony does have a big rear. Look what she carry's around..... :razz: :lmao: I'll try and post a pic of her for you.