My poor little Banjo

epona

My foal that I posted pictures of a few weeks ago has fractured a growth plate in his right hind (femur). Vet came out took x-rays and sent them to Leesburg. They have done surgeries on this type of fracture but the success rate is not very good and the surgery is very expensive. He is only a month old now. Has anyone had this happen to a foal? I don't know what to expect other than months of stall rest. He is still spunky and doesn't seem to be in too much pain other than he has a hard time getting up or laying down. He drags his leg but will put weight on it when standing. He is on a low dose of pain meds. I won't have him euthanized at this point because he still wants to play and has such a good disposition. Please let me know if you have had any experience with this type of injury and what you did.

Cowgirl

That really stinks. :huggy: I would be curious how he'll make out in the future if the surgery is a success. Will he be able to be ridden? How lightly? Will he have to be only a trail horse? If he's not able to be ridden, will you keep him forever? If not, do you think it will be hard to find a home for him as a companion horse? 25-30 yrs is a long time for someone to keep a companion horse. :shrug: Just some things to think about. Hopefully because he's so young he'll bounce back. Did his momma step on him?

epona

He will be with us forever. We have never sold a horse. One welsh pony husband owned for 37 years and had to put her down at 39 yrs old. I have given away a OTTB to a home I thought could use her for lessons but with the agreement that they will give her back if she dosent work out. So Banjo is ours forever. Still not sure about the surgery was wondering if anyone else had similar experience.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
He will be with us forever. We have never sold a horse. One welsh pony husband owned for 37 years and had to put her down at 39 yrs old. I have given away a OTTB to a home I thought could use her for lessons but with the agreement that they will give her back if she dosent work out. So Banjo is ours forever. Still not sure about the surgery was wondering if anyone else had similar experience.

Palomino, I haven't had any experience with this type of injury, but here is a link to Dr. Molesworth's website. It talks about the TB Filly "Ming Ming" & her fractured femur. :howdy:

Fresh Meadows

epona

Thanks BZHorsemomE that story is encouraging. Banjo's fracture is no way as severe as Ming Mings open fracture. Yesterday evening we were so happy to see Banjo take a couple of steps with his bad leg when we took his mom out of the stall for excersize. Its been one week since we found him lame.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I had one that messed up his growth plates on both front knees...he did not take to weaning well and he climbed and banged his knees up on the stall..he was fine...ridable etc...swollen nasty knees for awhile..Good luck

epona

Paso how old was the foal when that happened? Did the growth plate injury hinder growth of those legs? How long was the foal on stall rest? Sorry about all the questions but your the only one that has told me they had simlar experience. Thanks

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
It was in 1996 ....I dont really remember I will think on it...his knees were really really swollen for weeks..I kept him in I am sure a couple weeks as I was weaning him anyway...sorry let me work on it..I dont remember doing alot to him or it being alot of money ...

epona

Happyappygirl good idea about keeping notes on his progress. He does seem to be doing better he puts weight and takes a few steps on that bad leg. He is so full of energy though its hard to keep him quiet. Vet says maybe 4 months of stall rest might help. I spoke to you at a tack swap a few months back about your Rockies Im still interested. Are Rockies used for show jumping? I am taking jumping lessons after riding western for years. Wondered if gaited horses are judged the same as the QH and TB's in Show Jumping.

C

CoyoteIndigo

WoW, I sure hope Banjo recovers well. Babies can be so resilliant. It is good that you are hopeful. I think my mare is pregnant. She was picked up out of a killpen in November. Now she is a barrel belly! I can see her udders from across the field and I often find her stretching her front and hind legs as if her belly is too heavy. The vet will be here next week to palpate her. This is the first time I've ever had a horse at home and I am nervous about her foaling. Should I start boiling water?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Happyappygirl good idea about keeping notes on his progress. He does seem to be doing better he puts weight and takes a few steps on that bad leg. He is so full of energy though its hard to keep him quiet. Vet says maybe 4 months of stall rest might help. I spoke to you at a tack swap a few months back about your Rockies Im still interested. Are Rockies used for show jumping? I am taking jumping lessons after riding western for years. Wondered if gaited horses are judged the same as the QH and TB's in Show Jumping.
ABSOLUTELY! Here's a pic to prove it! These were at HSS last week. She often jumps him bareback, in the platform pic, that's a saddle pad under her bum. But i don't know how they are judged, I would imagine the exact same way. We don't show. My LilCowgirl (who is 11) jumps hers all the time, and he's getting higher. Right now he's doing somewhere around 2', but he's only 3 so she's keeping him low. How big are you, i know of a small Rocky who has LOTS of motor who with some training would be SUPER. We need to find one with a big motor to do it with style. My kiddo's Rocky River has lots of style and a big motor when she needs it.
She's also starting him lightly in speed, her HSS speed instructor was AMAZED at his speed and agility!! He consistently came in a super close second in the class after a very experienced barrel/poles horse! And this was his very first attempt. These horses are what you make them.
Just let me know when you're ready to start looking. It's important to begin with a good foundation. We got River when he was a yearling. He's 3 now, and worth every moment of our time.

Attachments

• river-platformS.jpg
    river-platformS.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 113
  • river-jumpS.jpg
    river-jumpS.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

epona

WoW, I sure hope Banjo recovers well. Babies can be so resilliant. It is good that you are hopeful. I think my mare is pregnant. She was picked up out of a killpen in November. Now she is a barrel belly! I can see her udders from across the field and I often find her stretching her front and hind legs as if her belly is too heavy. The vet will be here next week to palpate her. This is the first time I've ever had a horse at home and I am nervous about her foaling. Should I start boiling water?

Good luck with your mare remember to post pictures!

epona

ABSOLUTELY! Here's a pic to prove it! These were at HSS last week. She often jumps him bareback, in the platform pic, that's a saddle pad under her bum. But i don't know how they are judged, I would imagine the exact same way. We don't show. My LilCowgirl (who is 11) jumps hers all the time, and he's getting higher. Right now he's doing somewhere around 2', but he's only 3 so she's keeping him low. How big are you, i know of a small Rocky who has LOTS of motor who with some training would be SUPER. We need to find one with a big motor to do it with style. My kiddo's Rocky River has lots of style and a big motor when she needs it.
She's also starting him lightly in speed, her HSS speed instructor was AMAZED at his speed and agility!! He consistently came in a super close second in the class after a very experienced barrel/poles horse! And this was his very first attempt. These horses are what you make them.
Just let me know when you're ready to start looking. It's important to begin with a good foundation. We got River when he was a yearling. He's 3 now, and worth every moment of our time.

He's beautiful your LilCowgirl is a lucky girl! I am looking for a horse about 15h and over 6 y/o. I'm not planning on seriously competing at jumping but its just something I've always wanted to do and I'm quickly getting too old for that kind of stuff. Thats why I'd like a gaited horse so when I get the jumping out of my system I can go back to a nice easy trail horse.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
He's beautiful your LilCowgirl is a lucky girl! I am looking for a horse about 15h and over 6 y/o. I'm not planning on seriously competing at jumping but its just something I've always wanted to do and I'm quickly getting too old for that kind of stuff. Thats why I'd like a gaited horse so when I get the jumping out of my system I can go back to a nice easy trail horse.
you have to experience a young rocky. they're like old peeps in a young body. Really. if you don't believe me, ask dr tacia and lesus at tidewater. they've met most of mine and can't believe the temperament!! I have a nice 4 y/o half brother to my daughter's gelding for sale :whistle:

epona

you have to experience a young rocky. they're like old peeps in a young body. Really. if you don't believe me, ask dr tacia and lesus at tidewater. they've met most of mine and can't believe the temperament!! I have a nice 4 y/o half brother to my daughter's gelding for sale :whistle:

Oh I definetly believe you! I've talked to people that own Rockies or have owned them all say the same thing their temperament is fantastic. If you look through some of the on-line horse sales, the Rockies almost always have very good temperament scores. Thats the reason I am interested. But, for what I am considering doing (jumping) I beleive that a horse should be at least 6 years old, so that bones are mature enough.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Oh I definetly believe you! I've talked to people that own Rockies or have owned them all say the same thing their temperament is fantastic. If you look through some of the on-line horse sales, the Rockies almost always have very good temperament scores. Thats the reason I am interested. But, for what I am considering doing (jumping) I beleive that a horse should be at least 6 years old, so that bones are mature enough.
Based on the fact that you want to begin jumping with a 6 y/o I prolly wouldn't encourage you to get a Rocky unless you're willing to give up jumping for a year or two while developing the horse. Unless of course, you have another horse you can jump in the meantime.

You won't find a 6 y/o Rocky with any jumping experience or even the ability. Many 6 y/o Rockies don't even gait correctly because most peeps don't know what it is or how to ask for it. Plus jumping is just not what peeps do with them. If you're serious about using a Rocky or any gaited horse really, for jumping or cross country stuff, I would suggest you get a 4 y/o, and slowly feed and condition him into it for a year or two by doing lots (and i mean lots) of walking and gaiting on trails and hills. You can do some minimal log jumping along the way to get him ready to use his body like this, but it doesn't come naturally due to the strong desire to do some sort of gait, which doesn't allow them to be coordinated enough to jump correctly. A Rocky will have 3 feet on the ground at any time when in proper gait. You shouldn't ask for the canter until the gait is SET and i mean set. If you don't have set gait, they will click into a semi or quasi-canter (sort of a 4 foot off the ground hopping motion) and avoid the gait all together because this gait is so much easier. They have to learn to stretch into a canter. Most peeps like the other gait, because it's like a rocking chair so they let them do it, but it's not a "jumping" gait like a normal canter.

They REALLY click into gait (if it's not set before) at age 5 - as long as they are ridden consistently and it is asked for, then encouraged. 5 seems to be a majic age in my experience, for their minds AND bodies.