My poor little Banjo

epona

Based on the fact that you want to begin jumping with a 6 y/o I prolly wouldn't encourage you to get a Rocky unless you're willing to give up jumping for a year or two while developing the horse. Unless of course, you have another horse you can jump in the meantime.

You won't find a 6 y/o Rocky with any jumping experience or even the ability. Many 6 y/o Rockies don't even gait correctly because most peeps don't know what it is or how to ask for it. Plus jumping is just not what peeps do with them. If you're serious about using a Rocky or any gaited horse really, for jumping or cross country stuff, I would suggest you get a 4 y/o, and slowly feed and condition him into it for a year or two by doing lots (and i mean lots) of walking and gaiting on trails and hills. You can do some minimal log jumping along the way to get him ready to use his body like this, but it doesn't come naturally due to the strong desire to do some sort of gait, which doesn't allow them to be coordinated enough to jump correctly. A Rocky will have 3 feet on the ground at any time when in proper gait. You shouldn't ask for the canter until the gait is SET and i mean set. If you don't have set gait, they will click into a semi or quasi-canter (sort of a 4 foot off the ground hopping motion) and avoid the gait all together because this gait is so much easier. They have to learn to stretch into a canter. Most peeps like the other gait, because it's like a rocking chair so they let them do it, but it's not a "jumping" gait like a normal canter.

They REALLY click into gait (if it's not set before) at age 5 - as long as they are ridden consistently and it is asked for, then encouraged. 5 seems to be a majic age in my experience, for their minds AND bodies.

Thank you for your honesty. Sounds logical to me. I guess I should set my mind on doing one discipline or the other because I can only afford one horse right now. But jumping is so much fun and Rockies are the best for trails.What to do?:shrug: But I will definetly contact you if Rockies are what I decide thanks

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:lol: I don't want to discourage you. My daughter is doing all sorts of speed things with her guy, but he's not consistent in gait for anyone other than her, and only when i MAKE her keep him in gait. But she doesn't care, she loves speed and jumping, and he does too. She's 11. When she outgrows him, (if she ever does) I'll have to retrain him to gait consistently.

My point for you is, it really depends on what you are willing to spend and do. If you want developed gait, so you can immediately begin training for jumping, you'll pay for it (ie: my 4 y/o old has a well developed Rack - hence his 4K price reflects that). If you are willing to learn the gait, then ride, train and condition your own into gait, then move into jumping, you can spend less to do it, and it certainly can be done, but will take time. I just wanted you to understand the logistics of riding a gaited horse as it relates to jumping. Color is also an issue. My black gelding with well a developed Rack is FAR cheaper than a choco/white gelding with a well developed Rack (double my price for that c/w that racks solidly).

You could continue taking lessons in jumping, so you can still jump, then buy that 4 y/o Rocky, and ride the gait until it's ready to begin jumping on the trails, and move up from there. You'll save yourself a bundle and still be able to jump. :biggrin:

fredsaid2

If you plan to show you'll also have to take into consideration the animal's height. Some local shows allow adults to ride ponies, some don't. Most consider ponies a child's mount and predominately that's who show them.

Striding is another issue; typically courses are set for a 12' stride. If your mount is short-strided he will add down the lines but this will not help in an in-and-out. You might want to consider a nice QH that has local show miles as a hunter as well as trail experience.

Good luck!

epona

If you plan to show you'll also have to take into consideration the animal's height. Some local shows allow adults to ride ponies, some don't. Most consider ponies a child's mount and predominately that's who show them.

Striding is another issue; typically courses are set for a 12' stride. If your mount is short-strided he will add down the lines but this will not help in an in-and-out. You might want to consider a nice QH that has local show miles as a hunter as well as trail experience.

Good luck!

I'm taking lessons on a pony right now just to learn basics. But he is too small for me. My instructor has big TB's that I may be jumping with later but they intimidate me right now. I thought a 15h horse would be just the right size for me. We have a 19 year old QH (the one in my avatar) but she has never learned to jump and I really don't like riding her on long trail rides. I had a Walker (the bay in my avatar) that I loved on trails I could ride all day and not be sore but he didn't like jumping and his temperament was not good. Maybe I should wait to decide on a horse after I've jumped in some shows and learn more about stride lengths. Thanks