My poor pup has bladder stones

S

starr

I noticed over the weekend that my dog was doing a lot of squatting but not a whole lot of actual peeing and was having accidents in the house. This was after she christened my spare bed and my couch. She was hard to house break but we have been accident free for at least 6 months. I took her to the vet yesterday complete with pee sample and she has bladder stones. The vet thinks she they might be gentetic since she is young and they were so large. I'm hoping that the antiobotic and the food disolve the stones and they don't have to operate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

belvak

Happy Camper
I noticed over the weekend that my dog was doing a lot of squatting but not a whole lot of actual peeing and was having accidents in the house. This was after she christened my spare bed and my couch. She was hard to house break but we have been accident free for at least 6 months. I took her to the vet yesterday complete with pee sample and she has bladder stones. The vet thinks she they might be gentetic since she is young and they were so large. I'm hoping that the antiobotic and the food disolve the stones and they don't have to operate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

My calico cat had to have surgery a 2 or 3 years ago to remove a stone. She was about 7 years old then and hasn't had any re-occurences. We did change her food. Good luck to your pup! :huggy:

verucasalt

my pup had crystals in his urine, which is the early stages of bladder stones. We switched his food, he took a 2 week cycle of antibiotics, and will be on bottled water for the rest of his life. Since doing these things his cystals cleared up! good luck to you and your baby!

S

starr

I wish we only crystals. Thanks for the warm wishes. I hope the food does it's job and we don't need surgery.

surfer1

Our 11 year old cat was diagnosed with stones in both kidneys and one is almost not functioning. He is a ferral beach cat and it is believed it could be heredity or poor nutrition his 1st few months. He was hydrated at vets with IV antibiotics and sent home on Hill's prescription kidney diet. He is doing well. Brought a rabbit to the front door yesterday. We beleive he had an episode like this before and was jump started with subcutaneous fluids. We did not however restrict his diet as we didn't know it was kidney problems at that time. Looking back we think he had an episdoe then. He has a great quality of life now and it was decided that given the extent of his disease and age that surgery would not help! Good luck to you!

lisaowensathome

I'm in the same boat. We found out a year ago and did the whole food and antibotic change. We are in the process of scheduling surgery. I hope everything works better for you than it did me.

S

starr

I'm in the same boat. We found out a year ago and did the whole food and antibotic change. We are in the process of scheduling surgery. I hope everything works better for you than it did me.

Did they think they were caused by genetics or cronic bladder infections? The stones didn't shrink enough? Who is your vet? Sorry for your pup :huggy:

lisaowensathome

Hers are from genetics. When all this started there were 3 larger stones that they thought MIGHT breakdown. Well needless to say,they didn't. She is having surgery tuesday at the vet in Indian Head, Dr Fox. Let you know how everything goes .
Did they think they were caused by genetics or cronic bladder infections? The stones didn't shrink enough? Who is your vet? Sorry for your pup :huggy:

S

starr

She passed 2 stones this weekend. I found them in her grate and confirmed with the vet that was in fact what they were. Poor girl. They were bigger then a pea. Hopefully this will continue and they will all come out naturally.

lisaowensathome

She passed 2 stones this weekend. I found them in her grate and confirmed with the vet that was in fact what they were. Poor girl. They were bigger then a pea. Hopefully this will continue and they will all come out naturally.

That's good!!! Did they give you some sort of antibiotic to help keep infection down? My baby had her surgery yesterday (tuesday) and she's starting to come around a little more today. Seems to be feeling much better compared to yesterday, but she knows her restrictions,ie no jumping,etc Anyway, hope everything works out for you and your baby! :yay:

S

starr

She still has a half a week of Clavamox left. I'm hoping she will continue to get them out of on own.

S

starr

We went to the vet for our check up and we have no stones! The x-rays were clear. We are on c/d now for the rest of our lives but no surgery.

Last edited by a moderator: