My State Govt Sucks!

TPD

the poor dad
The state of Maryland has been working on a new website for all things taxes. Previously as a business owner, I used their b-file website to file and pay my payroll and sales taxes. Sometime in late January, they cut that site off and told us their new website would be active in early February. Well today is the go-live day for the new website (which doesn't work on the browser I've been using for the old site). But guess what - the login credentials for the old website do not work on the new website. We must wait for the state to mail us the new PIN before we can file and pay our taxes. That form is supposed to be mailed in the next 10 days - I haven't received mine yet. I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and will be gone for almost 2 weeks - won't get back before the sales tax filing deadline. They say there will be no penalties or interest during this interim period for late filing - HA! They also say there is a "guest" option to file and pay your taxes before receiving the new login credentials. I haven't found that guest option on the new website, even after reading their help document.

Why must my government make things so damn difficult?!?

jrt_ms1995

The state of Maryland has been working on a new website for all things taxes. Previously as a business owner, I used their b-file website to file and pay my payroll and sales taxes. Sometime in late January, they cut that site off and told us their new website would be active in early February. Well today is the go-live day for the new website (which doesn't work on the browser I've been using for the old site). But guess what - the login credentials for the old website do not work on the new website. We must wait for the state to mail us the new PIN before we can file and pay our taxes. That form is supposed to be mailed in the next 10 days - I haven't received mine yet. I'm going on vacation in a couple of days and will be gone for almost 2 weeks - won't get back before the sales tax filing deadline. They say there will be no penalties or interest during this interim period for late filing - HA! They also say there is a "guest" option to file and pay your taxes before receiving the new login credentials. I haven't found that guest option on the new website, even after reading their help document.

Don't forget you're now required to wear a mask when paying your taxes in the new system. It's for the children!

• Angry
Reactions: TPD

phreddyp

I have done this several times in my days running my business. Write a check in the correct amount make sure you put the correct employer ID on it and for what type of tax you are paying and for what time period, add a coupon if you have one, and your telephone # and email, make a copy of the check for future reference. Send certified mail with receipt to the comptroller of the Treasury or whomever you normally send it to. I have NEVER had to pay any penalty doing this even if they had no idea what to do with the payment since it has been paid. If there is a problem they will contact you.

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
Leave it to my government to F$ck up something that was working into something that is slow and painful!

Yesterday, I went back to the new MarylandConnect site and the "guest option" was there. I tried logging on this way but it wouldn't let me.

Today, I receive my PIN in the mail with instructions to register my new business account. It is painful! The site is sloooooow! You are forced to log in 3 separate times to actually get a working account. The first time is to set up your new login. Then you wait for an email with a temporary password. Once you receive that email, you login again with the temporary password to then create your own password which must be 14 characters long and include one of everything. Now once logged on the 2nd time, you must associate your tax account with the login. This is where the PIN comes into play. Enter the EIN and PIN and then you must login a 3rd time with 2 factor id. After more than 30 minutes, it appears I can finally file my January Sales Tax Report and give the state some money.

I hope the website gets faster as time goes on. bFile was so simple and fast.