My TV is kaput

So... 60" LED, either 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 years old.

For the last couple of weeks it's been working intermittently, so I figured it wasn't long for this world. It seemed to be a backlight or invertor problem. The picture would go out but the sound still worked. And if it was dark in the room I could faintly see the image. The backlight just wasn't lighting the screen. But sometimes I'd come back after the TV had been off for a while and it would work.

This morning I was in my office but had left the TV on with sound coming through it. My TV and audio sources feed it and then it sends its sound to the stereo receiver. I can't hear the TV from my office and had forgotten it was on. I start hearing what sounds like light caliber semi-automatic fire. Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop....

Its pretty clearly coming from inside the house, but it was 5-10 seconds before it occurred to me that it was probably the TV. When I get to the living room I can faintly smell smoke and its now clear that it is my TV causing the ruckus. It's still going pop pop pop. I turn it off but it keeps going pop pop pop, just intermittently now. I unplug it and the commotion is over - either because I unplugged it or because it had pretty much finished saying what it wanted to say anyway. It was smoking pretty good by this point.

TV's are cheap enough these days that I'll probably just find a replacement on sale. Previously I had thought about replacing the backlight inverter board and hoping that did the trick, but I don't think I'll bother with it now.

Anyway... Has anyone experienced something similar with an LED? Any idea what inside blew?

Grumpy

Capacitors probably overloaded and blew. I am not a TV repair man but I have pulled apart a few LED TVs and replaced capacitors that fixed the issue. Lots of Youtube vids on the issue. Have a 50 inch Samsung that I rescued from the dump that took me a hour to pull apart and fix, still going strong after 6 yrs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Smoking you say? Once the magic smoke is released, you are pretty much done. :) My 55 inch LED, which is I think closing on 5 years old now, has never experienced anything like this. I will note that Vizio is releasing the new P and M series 4K LEDs as we speak. Great deals, by all accounts great TVs. The sweet spot value-wise is the M series. $1299 for the newest 60, which should be available in a week or so. You can go up to the P-series, which increases the active dimming zones from 64 to 120 and adds the second HDR standard, but the price jumps up a bit for that.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m60d1.html

Chris0nllyn

Capacitors probably overloaded and blew. I am not a TV repair man but I have pulled apart a few LED TVs and replaced capacitors that fixed the issue. Lots of Youtube vids on the issue. Have a 50 inch Samsung that I rescued from the dump that took me a hour to pull apart and fix, still going strong after 6 yrs.

This is my guess as well.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I agree capacitors ... but the system shouldn't have that many for a continuous racket

you could probably find a unit on eBay, someone busted the screen on, and swap your LCD / LED Panel in .... bingo Newish TV
sounds like a good time to upgrade to a 80 incher