Myrtle Point

Took a hike around Myrtle Point today, came across something I hadn't seen before, daddy longlegs munching on a mushroom. Had no idea they ate mushroom.

CIMG0790.JPG

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Took a hike around Myrtle Point today, came across something I hadn't seen before, daddy longlegs munching on a mushroom. Had no idea they ate mushroom.

View attachment 82480

Is Myrtle Point that area right after you cross the Solomons bridge into St. Mary's? The Things & I passed near there on the way to JCP in California for school shopping today. (as well as Target & Walmart :cds:)

Cool picture! I've never seen daddy longlegs eating anything. I've always heard they are deadly poisonous to humans, but they can't bite us because their mouths are too small.

Is Myrtle Point that area right after you cross the Solomons bridge into St. Mary's? The Things & I passed near there on the way to JCP in California for school shopping today. (as well as Target & Walmart :cds:)

Cool picture! I've never seen daddy longlegs eating anything. I've always heard they are deadly poisonous to humans, but they can't bite us because their mouths are too small.

Friend's of Myrtle Point

I've never heard that they were toxic.
UCR Spiders Site: Daddy Long Legs Myth

Is there any truth to this oft-repeated tale?

Daddy-longlegs (Opiliones) - these arachnids make their living by eating decomposing vegetative and animal matter although are opportunist predators if they can get away with it. They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food. Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy-long-legs, the tale is clearly false.