Mysterious, ancient radio signals keep pelting Earth

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Sudden shrieks of radio waves from deep space keep slamming into radio telescopes on Earth, spattering those instruments' detectors with confusing data. And now, astronomers are using artificial intelligence to pinpoint the source of the shrieks, in the hope of explaining what's sending them to Earth from — researchers suspect — billions of light-years across space.

Uh oh. Using artificial intelligence. What if the AI goes off rails and starts sending replies back?

A commenter posted this though. I thought was interesting;

"Radio waves CANNOT reach the earth. This is an article giving you FALSE information. Look up "multispectral sun" to see NASA telling us that the sun emits ALL ranges of Electromagnetic Radiation, including Radio waves. NASA also says that only UV, Visible and Infra-red light can reach the earth. Radio waves are blocked. If they weren't blocked then we would have terrible interference to AM and FM especially during the day. We don't."

So I wonder. Any scientific minds here that could shed light on this comment?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Uh oh. Using artificial intelligence. What if the AI goes off rails and starts sending replies back?

A commenter posted this though. I thought was interesting;

"Radio waves CANNOT reach the earth. This is an article giving you FALSE information. Look up "multispectral sun" to see NASA telling us that the sun emits ALL ranges of Electromagnetic Radiation, including Radio waves. NASA also says that only UV, Visible and Infra-red light can reach the earth. Radio waves are blocked. If they weren't blocked then we would have terrible interference to AM and FM especially during the day. We don't."

.....so how do we communicate with all the various space craft and satellites...?

If I may ...

Satellite communications is in the C band or higher, and that's falls into the microwave spectrum. The lunar landing used a unified s-band radio system, the communications to earth in the microwave range. Still radio as far as I know.