natural hair meet up!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
No, you all got it wrong. :roflmao: The OP is referring to not putting chemicals/relaxers/straighteners to her hair. A lot of people with ethnic hair go to a lot of trouble to make their hair straight when they don't need to, imho.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
No, you all got it wrong. :roflmao: The OP is referring to not putting chemicals/relaxers/straighteners to her hair. A lot of people with ethnic hair go to a lot of trouble to make their hair straight when they don't need to, imho.

:yeahthat:

you guys are too much. :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Okay, but black women have to use chemicals or heat if they want straight hair. Just like I have to use chemicals and heat if I want a different 'do than the one I was born with. Why would there be a support group for women who don't want to style their hair? If you don't want to do your hair, don't do it - no need to call for reinforcements.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Okay, but black women have to use chemicals or heat if they want straight hair. Just like I have to use chemicals and heat if I want a different 'do than the one I was born with. Why would there be a support group for women who don't want to style their hair? If you don't want to do your hair, don't do it - no need to call for reinforcements.

Actually, yes, they do need reinforcements. There has been a recent call to arms for those with ethnic hair to be themselves. :shrug: Also there aren't a lot of hair care products for natural hair. It doesn't hurt to have suggestions and ideas on how to style and maintain your hair without snapping it off. I think the OP is being quite generous on planning a get-together of women who want to be themselves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There has been a recent call to arms for those with ethnic hair to be themselves.

You can be yourself while blowdrying and styling your hair. I'm me whether I let my hair air dry and walk out the door, or hit it with the blowdryer and flatiron. I'm me with or without mascara, deodorant and perfume.

Besides, OP didn't say what color she was. So maybe she's merely trying to sell "natural" hair care products to hippies.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You can be yourself while blowdrying and styling your hair. I'm me whether I let my hair air dry and walk out the door, or hit it with the blowdryer and flatiron. I'm me with or without mascara, deodorant and perfume.

Besides, OP didn't say what color she was. So maybe she's merely trying to sell "natural" hair care products to hippies.

:eyebrow: Okay, you are right. And perhaps, I'm not explaining it so you can understand.

However, the OP said she was a Naturalista. It's a culture that refers to ethnic hair. Some examples are that naturalistas have to worry about sweat and going to the gym, they don't wash their hair like most Caucasions, they have issues like having their hair searched by TSA, etc. One of my g/friends is on the warpath about women who dye their hair blonde/red etc and try to pretend they are something they are not in regards to their "culture". The issue doesn't seem to be about using mascara.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of my g/friends is on the warpath about women who dye their hair blonde/red etc and try to pretend they are something they are not in regards to their "culture".

Tell her to get over herself. Our culture is American, and American women do not have to tolerate the whims of nature when it comes to their hair or anything else. We are women! Hear us roar!

I didn't realize there was a group or whatever called Naturalistas. But if she really wants to be natural, what kind of hair products would her group talk about? Natural would mean unenhanced, and presenting themselves without the benefit of beauty products. If she sweats and stinks, that's natural and shouldn't be an issue, right?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Black hair is soooo completely different from white hair. Super different. It takes a TON of work to get it looking a certain way. A friend of my moms spent hours every morning doing her two girls' hair ...making sure it looked presentable..there is a cultural difference in how they treat hair..she tried to explain it to me, but having wash and go hair, it's hard to grasp the immense time and money that go into it. Natural hair is a lot of times "looked down" on, but I think it looks nice :shrug:

Friend of mine has natural hair, and promotes a website for organic and natural beauty items, including hair products, for black women. I learned how few beauty products their are like this from her.. A group to discuss what products work well would not be too different than a mary kay party

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Here's me and my do.

Attachments

• afro-hair-cap_49.jpg
    afro-hair-cap_49.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 73

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Hahahhahaaa :killingme That wasn't really me! I'm white!

Attachments

• afro4.jpg
    afro4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 71

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It takes a TON of work to get it looking a certain way.

Depends on what way you want it. If you want your black girl hair to look like white girl hair, you're gonna be there for awhile. But it's the same with white girls who want sista hair - it just doesn't work.

But everyone wants what they don't have. Short, long, dark, blonde, straight, curly. Whatever you were born with, chances are you'd rather have something else. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Depends on what way you want it. If you want your black girl hair to look like white girl hair, you're gonna be there for awhile. But it's the same with white girls who want sista hair - it just doesn't work.

But everyone wants what they don't have. Short, long, dark, blonde, straight, curly. Whatever you were born with, chances are you'd rather have something else. :lol:

From what I understand, Chaz doesn't have that yet.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
From what I understand, Chaz doesn't have that yet.

My grandmother is an avid dancing with the stars watcher. She felt the need to call and inform me that chaz bono, has, in fact, NO penis.

Then, because I am fun like that, I explained to her that because of the hormones he does indeed have a small one. Sh:e stuttered for about 5 minutes and then muttered something about "well what's the point then" and told me she had to hang up and go share the info with her gf. :lmao: I love my grandma :smile: