Natural sleep aids

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have suffered for years on a very cyclic nature (once a year or so) of waking up in the middle of the night. Usually this passes in about a week or so but this time it is going on three weeks and I am exhausted. Some friends recommended melatonin so I tried it last night. I took one 10 mg tablet about an hour before my normal bed time. Got sleepy and fell asleep easily, but at 3 am I was wide awake. Eventually fell back asleep but couldn't stay asleep more than 15 minutes. Finally gave up trying to sleep around 5 am and am now even more tired.

Anyone have anything else they have tried that works?

Have you and Mom been talking about me!?! :lol:

Seriously, no more Ambien for me. Melatonin doesn't work well for me either, so I may try some of the other suggestions here.

black dog

Free America
I have no trouble falling asleep as I am dog-tired by the time my head hits the pillow. It is the staying asleep part that is the problem. :lol:

Neither Ambien nor drinking alcohol are an option. I have heard horror stories about Ambien's side effects like sleepwalking and I don't drink.

My roomie will sleep eat every once in awhile, when she wakes up at night while on Ambien when she is walking to the bathroom every turn she makes she does a complete 360° turn to the right before she turns two lefts into the bathroom.
If you watch her... Well I always start laughing... But she doesn't wake up..

black dog

Free America
This is true, thought about telling her, but in light of today's sexual allegations for the most minor of things, I chose to keep quiet.
:

Sybian.com Just sayin....
ladies you can thank me with the privacy of a pm...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I thought magnesium citrate was used for colon cleanse. Considering there is a newborn baby in our life that poops all the time. Yes, you may, and you made me laugh. Thanks! :lol:

If you take too much of it in a short period, yes, it can have a laxative effect. In the right amounts, used everyday, it has very beneficial effects. Those in need, and that could benefit from its use, should research it.

PeoplesElbow

I thought magnesium citrate was used for colon cleanse. Considering there is a newborn baby in our life that poops all the time. Yes, you may, and you made me laugh. Thanks! :lol:

Lets hope it doesn't colon cleanse while making you sleep like a baby at the same time.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

This is true, thought about telling her, but in light of today's sexual allegations for the most minor of things, I chose to keep quiet.

I'll come visit ya in jail, buddy... :buddies:

Dats why I use a nom de plume.

Bunch o' comedians. :lmao:

So...

:love: + :wench: + :banana: + :shocked: + :cool: = :snooze:

Gotcha. :lol:

So far what has worked the best is 3 mg of melatonin washed down with a glass of milk. Still waking once or twice during the night, and not for a potty break, but it is better. I doubled up one night and took 6 mg because I was having trouble falling asleep. The next day I was a zombie. :doh:

So far what has worked the best is 3 mg of melatonin washed down with a glass of milk. Still waking once or twice during the night, and not for a potty break, but it is better. I doubled up one night and took 6 mg because I was having trouble falling asleep. The next day I was a zombie. :doh:
How long before bed do you take it?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
That's reasonable. Maybe I'll try it this weekend in order to maintain my normal sleep schedule rather than binge watching NETFLIX... I'm hooked on "Call the Midwife" now.... dayum you NETFLIX! :cds:

I haven't even turned on my TV in a couple of weeks due to sheer busyness. :jameo: But that is one I want to watch. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
An update: I tried various melatonin strengths with inconsistent results. Also tried Unisom, which allowed me to sleep but I was groggy as hell the next day.

So I tried turning on the TV to a smooth jazz station playing low and it works! Sleeping through most nights and if I do wake up, can easily get back to sleep. :yay: