Need a new car/SUV

frequentflier

happy to be living
I love my 2011 Terrain and have always maintained it. Recently, we discovered the sunroof drain is leaking into the car and the floors are soaked and getting moldy. We have it scheduled to be fixed with a mechanic who will have to remove the headliner and bleach it, etc. It sounds like an expensive repair and my husband and I have discussed just buying something else. My car has less than 90,000 miles on it. I love that there is a dvr player and all the songs from my favorite CD's are on it so I don't always have to listen to the radio. I guess most new cars don't even have a cd player. Call me old but I am not into new technology. The GPS is also old and has messed me up many times (again, I don't use my phone for that stuff)
The only Ford I ever owned was a 63 Falcon. Had a few other brands but have mostly been GMC/Chevrolet. I need a small SUV and don't want a mini van or truck. We are looking at new but would consider used.
We have talked about a Suburu but the dealership is in Annapolis.

What are you all driving and what do you like/dislike about it? Thanks for any input.

SamSpade

I drive an XXXXXXX - it's an SUV. What makes me particularly pleased about it was the deal I got. It was a fleet car for a large company, had fairly low mileage for its age - three years old when I got it with only 50,000 miles and in excellent condition. Maintenance logs showed it was VERY well maintained.

I've often said that, depending on the company, used rentals can be a GREAT bargain, because the company livelihood DEPENDS on keeping their cars in good condtion AND - they typically turn them around at three years.

Bobwhite

I'm driving a 2015 Hyundai Tucson that I bought in 2016. It had 24,000 miles on it. I have no complaints about it. I don't know a lot about cars but my understanding is that Hyundai's reputation has improved greatly since I bought my car. My son was horrified when I bought it, but it has never given me a moment's worry.

DaSDGuy

My SO drives a 2016 Honda CRV and loves it. It has nice overall advantages like 30 MPG and all-wheel drive. Advantages over an EV : It only takes 8-10 minutes to fill the tank, fuel is readily available, cold weather doesn't impact gas mileage, tires last 80K miles, and insurance costs a lot less since it is less expensive to repair in case of an accident. My only worry is the CVT transmission. We've had no problems but I've heard stories about older models. But it will still cost less than a battery replacement.

TPD

the poor dad
We rented a Chevy Equinox last summer and drove it to Florida. It was the most uncomfortable vehicle I've drove in a long time, maybe ever. It had no power which means the fuel mileage was 30+mpg. I think a greyhound bus would have been the better option for that drive rather than the Equinox. (flights were cancelled so our options were limited.)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I love my 2011 Terrain and have always maintained it. Recently, we discovered the sunroof drain is leaking into the car and the floors are soaked and getting moldy. We have it scheduled to be fixed with a mechanic who will have to remove the headliner and bleach it, etc. It sounds like an expensive repair and my husband and I have discussed just buying something else. My car has less than 90,000 miles on it. I love that there is a dvr player and all the songs from my favorite CD's are on it so I don't always have to listen to the radio. I guess most new cars don't even have a cd player. Call me old but I am not into new technology. The GPS is also old and has messed me up many times (again, I don't use my phone for that stuff)
The only Ford I ever owned was a 63 Falcon. Had a few other brands but have mostly been GMC/Chevrolet. I need a small SUV and don't want a mini van or truck. We are looking at new but would consider used.
We have talked about a Suburu but the dealership is in Annapolis.

What are you all driving and what do you like/dislike about it? Thanks for any input.
That doesn't sound that expensive (not like replacing motor or trans). I had an 03 Explorer that one of the sun roof drains broke (flimsy plastic channel) and before I got it fixed the wife wrecked it. I loved the 4wd feature for the snow (I could actually select 4wd low range that you don't get with the AWD types - like my current 08 Highlander).

As to the GPS (for the Toyota) I was able to get a more current CD for that and it is pretty accurate. Don't know about the Terrain's GPS but you might be able to get a CD or download a more current version of the maps.

GregV814

98 Ranger 5 spd... 546387294 miles, still hums
2010 Outback , wife likes it bettern me, but not better than her cat
04 Grand Marquis....love them cars...just bought it

Our son bought a 2015 outback.... the roof's skylight leaked, but it was a simple fix, the drain was clogged.... he just got back from Pittsburgh last night, no problemos...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'll drive my 2003 Trailblazer until I can no longer drive. I bought it for Wifey in 2005, when it had less than 60k on it. I've rebuilt just about every suspension part that wears out, some twice, but will keep it forever. We took some memorable family vacations in that thing.

frequentflier

happy to be living
That doesn't sound that expensive (not like replacing motor or trans). I had an 03 Explorer that one of the sun roof drains broke (flimsy plastic channel) and before I got it fixed the wife wrecked it. I loved the 4wd feature for the snow (I could actually select 4wd low range that you don't get with the AWD types - like my current 08 Highlander).

As to the GPS (for the Toyota) I was able to get a more current CD for that and it is pretty accurate. Don't know about the Terrain's GPS but you might be able to get a CD or download a more current version of the maps.
I guess it has been going on for awhile and I didn't notice until my indoor windows had water running down them. I have a roll of paper towels in the passenger side to wipe the windshield off before I can drive. All the carpets are wet and mildewing. Do you ever get rid of the mildew and odor w/o replacing the carpets?

Ken King

PREMO Member
I guess it has been going on for awhile and I didn't notice until my indoor windows had water running down them. I have a roll of paper towels in the passenger side to wipe the windshield off before I can drive. All the carpets are wet and mildewing. Do you ever get rid of the mildew and odor w/o replacing the carpets?
My Explorer got like that, water running down the inside of the window and finally it got to just pouring from the headliner. As to the carpet, if you can get them out of there, do it. Get all signs of moisture off the metal floor boards. If the carpet can be reused you should be able to get rid of the smell and mildew once it is dry.

My work around to stop the water was putting a tarp over the roof covering the sun roof when the vehicle was parked.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I'll drive my 2003 Trailblazer until I can no longer drive. I bought it for Wifey in 2005, when it had less than 60k on it. I've rebuilt just about every suspension part that wears out, some twice, but will keep it forever. We took some memorable family vacations in that thing.
I am still driving 2003 Chevy Silverado (my main vehicle) over 200k.
The check engine light has been coming on lately.
Fault code P0174, running lean.
O2 sensor?

Ken King

PREMO Member
I am still driving 2003 Chevy Silverado (my main vehicle) over 200k.
The check engine light has been coming on lately.
Fault code P0174, running lean.
O2 sensor?
Could be an O2 sensor. Or there are several other possible causes: There is a leak between the MAF or MAP sensor and the rest of the intake, giving the ECU a false air reading. This is usually caused by a loose clamp or a disconnected hose to the intake.
The injectors aren’t spraying enough fuel. This could be caused by clogged injectors or low fuel pressure caused by a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.
If the O2 sensor is bad, P0174 bank 2 upstream.

GregV814

Is your odometer set to feet instead of miles?
LOOK, Its true, "Cah sheild cahs drive mo bettah..." Ice tee and whats her face "dahlink" told me that....

actually I did exaggerate a tad..... its well beyond over 200 thousand.... miles... though.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Could be an O2 sensor. Or there are several other possible causes: There is a leak between the MAF or MAP sensor and the rest of the intake, giving the ECU a false air reading. This is usually caused by a loose clamp or a disconnected hose to the intake.
The injectors aren’t spraying enough fuel. This could be caused by clogged injectors or low fuel pressure caused by a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.
If the O2 sensor is bad, P0174 bank 2 upstream.
I just keep resetting my engine light.
Is it something serious or just say F it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just checked my odo at 210773 and the old Atlas 6 is still going strong. The trans was rebuilt a while back due to a rotted out trans line puking most of the fluid out. Probably time for another go through.