need advice about boat lift

lmor

My husband and I plan to have a 8,000 - 10,000 LB boat lift installed on our dock. We are considering a magnum or storm surge. Is one brand better than the other? We plan on buying a remote. What questions should we ask? Are there any "must haves"? What do you think? We would appreciate any advice. Thanks

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I think the'll be a lot less river traffic this year. Gas at marina's is already over $5 a gal

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Make sure you tie the boat to the lift each and every time you pull it out. Just ask my neighbors about that little bit of hard won info.

SPF001

depending on how high you can get your motors up on the pilings I would suggest the E-Gear. I think that's what they call it. It is a sealed motor assembly. If the motors go under during a storm it is about a grand for each motor. Go with the biggest lift your pier can handle. Even if your boat isn't on it all the time you can rent them out for $'s. I have seen some rent for $500 a month. I am thinking about putting 2 or 3 on my pier just need to run more power.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
My husband and I plan to have a 8,000 - 10,000 LB boat lift installed on our dock. We are considering a magnum or storm surge. Is one brand better than the other? We plan on buying a remote. What questions should we ask? Are there any "must haves"? What do you think? We would appreciate any advice. Thanks

I know I'm strong and all but are you trying to kill me by strapping me to a pier to pick up a dang boat :yikes:

A friend of mine has the Magnum boat lifts and he was lifting his 31' Maxum Sport Cruiser out of the water with it... he swore by them.

He also had two more Magnum lifts; one lifted a 23' Sea Swirl and the other lifted a 28' or 30' Baja twin screw boat as well.

beerlover

What's it like to be rich?

ohstate

We have a Magnum boat lift - got it about 6 years ago. The engines stopped working after Isabel (they got wet). We called the pier guy who had installed them and he suggested we try ordering new GFIs and installing them to see if that fixed it. He couldn't get out to fix such a minor issue w/ everyone else calling about their dock being wiped out. The new GFIs worked like a charm. My husband does the regular maintenance on it - mostly adding grease wherever the manual says to. Overall, we've been very pleased with it.

poster

Make sure you tie the boat to the lift each and every time you pull it out. Just ask my neighbors about that little bit of hard won info.

I'll bite - what happened?

This weekend a neighbor had a cable snap, the boat was about 5' off the water. One of them was in it and fell out when it came down, it's a miracle he didn't get hurt.

Thankfully it didn't sink but the transom (sp?) flooded and they couldn't get it started again, inboard, of course it was rough and windy. We were able to walk it 4 piers down and use a different lift.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'll bite - what happened?

This weekend a neighbor had a cable snap, the boat was about 5' off the water. One of them was in it and fell out when it came down, it's a miracle he didn't get hurt.

Thankfully it didn't sink but the transom (sp?) flooded and they couldn't get it started again, inboard, of course it was rough and windy. We were able to walk it 4 piers down and use a different lift.

Ernesto is what happened. I noticed that their boat was gone so we called to see if they had trailered it due to the upcoming storm. They said, "no, why?"...
Their boat was recovered in Westmoreland County VA, about a week later.

Same storm on my in laws creek, the folks from across the creek lost their boat, BUT luckily for them it came ashore next to the in laws pier and we were able to return it undamaged.

poster

Ernesto is what happened. I noticed that their boat was gone so we called to see if they had trailered it due to the upcoming storm. They said, "no, why?"...
Their boat was recovered in Westmoreland County VA, about a week later.

Same storm on my in laws creek, the folks from across the creek lost their boat, BUT luckily for them it came ashore next to the in laws pier and we were able to return it undamaged.

In a big storm like that you've got to pull it. We've made that mistake once already, lost a 30' boat during Issy. It couldn't be trailered but it should have been moved to a cove. Tied it to the lift and raised as high as possible. Unfortunately the water came up high enough to pound the boat and took it, lift and all, across 3 piers. If we start feeling like we need to tie it down we pull it right away.

Gunn317

Did you ever decide on a boat lift? I'm researching the same thing. Can you, or anyone else recommend an installer in the area?

Right now we are in the permitting process for a pier, and I'd like to figure out what lift we want to get so I can have the pilings driven in the correct locations...

Speaking of boat lifts, anyone have a Jet Dock? Look interesting, but...never seen on around these parts...

Thanks,

bconlon

Boat lifts and pilings

We used Booth Marine for the piling work, they did a good job. For the boat lift, we used American Boatlift Systems and put up a Magnum with the EGear.