Need some advice

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't want to sit back and do nothing. This guy has a history of being controlling and violent and I'm scared for her. I guess I really should have asked what do I do if I have a friend who is in a bad relationship and completely oblivious?

There's nothing you can do. She's an adult and can make her own decisions. If you try to talk to her, she's not going to listen to you anyway.

JeCa2224

There's nothing you can do. She's an adult and can make her own decisions. If you try to talk to her, she's not going to listen to you anyway.

True. But what worries me is that she is 24 years old and this is her FIRST boyfriend- I wish I was kidding! She doesn't know any different. She thinks its okay to be treated this way and that she's in a good relationship. She's so naive and she's blowing off her best friend of 7 years! But your right, nothing I can do about it, I just wanted to vent :ohwell:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
You are only responsible for you. Again, there is nothing you can do.

Nothing. Tell your friend you'll miss her and will still be here when she dumps the ass
:yay:
<-- Again

True. But what worries me is that she is 24 years old and this is her FIRST boyfriend- I wish I was kidding! She doesn't know any different. She thinks its okay to be treated this way and that she's in a good relationship. She's so naive and she's blowing off her best friend of 7 years! But your right, nothing I can do about it, I just wanted to vent :ohwell:

Controlling, violent relationships are difficult to get out of. The best thing you can do, without becoming partner to the madness, is providing her with info about the kind of relationship she is in. Tell her that it is unhealthy and that you'll be there for her when she is ready to move on. Until then, things will progress as they will. You control no one but yourself. End of story. :shrug:

ginwoman

my best friend dated a complete idiot jerk for 6 years. He hurt her so bad (mentally), cheated, stole, cheated again. I told her for 6 years to get out, he's no good and everybody else in the county knows he's no good. But she hung in there until she actually saw him with another woman. And then she was devestated. Thank gawd she is in a good relationship now. My point is, I was stressed out a lot over this while she was with him and it didn't make a bit of difference. Hopefully "Lucy" will open her eyes before she gets too deep.

B

BET

Yes, you definitely should talk to her about it. Yes, she will probably not listen to you.

MissBtrayed

Yes, you definitely should talk to her about it. Yes, she will probably not listen to you.

Send your friend over to me and I can tell her the whole story of what the next 15 years of her life will be like if she stays with this man. I remember those days having to explain why I needed friends, him telling me I didn't, that he should be my only friend and that I shouldn't need anyone else. He even said that I could talk to him about mascara! (which would be a whole 'nother chapter) Isolation from friends and family - he had the phone disconnected on my birthday so my family and friends could not call me!

Get her some books / articles and leave them with her - help her see!

poster

I don't want to sit back and do nothing. This guy has a history of being controlling and violent and I'm scared for her. I guess I really should have asked what do I do if I have a friend who is in a bad relationship and completely oblivious?

Really there is nothing you can do but given that info.......
I'm assuming you are close with this girls family (parents)?
I would make sure her family was aware why you are no longer friends, your concerns and say sorry I couldn't/can't help but want to be sure you are aware of the reason we are no longer friends.

Make clear to her that you'll be there for her when this faze of her life passes, until then wish her well.