Need Some Horse Help

dcfdwife

I currently own a 10 year old quarter horse and have had him since he was 4 - Here are his good points: he is a social butterfly, loves people, very oral (will lick you to death), loves pizza crust, poptarts, doughnuts, sweet tea, peppermints and me - Here are his bad points: he is quirky, unpredictable when riding (will walk and jog (former western pleasure horse) till the cows come home) but please dont ask him to canter or jump - If you ask he will pitch a fit (tossing his head, popping up and down, its ugly) however if he decides he wants to canter its quite lovely - I have had 3 major accidents off of him - All three have gotten me flown to baltimore and this last one put a plate and 13 screws in my collar bone, 2 broken ribs and a concussion - I'm afraid to ride him and afraid not too - I love him to pieces, took me 2 years to pay him off and yes he is spoiled - I can't sell him because he does have a heart condition - Its a murmur - I have never pushed him because of it and as long as I have had him he has never had any problems - I would like to find him a really good home - I have no doubt he would love to be a pasture pet for someone and as long as they fed him twice a day with all the peppermints he can eat, he would be a very very happy horse - I called the horse rescue places to see if they could offer anything but since he is not abused or neglected they didn't have any ideas - I'm out of ideas and having a hard time with this decision - I would welcome anything - With as many horse people in the area I'm hoping someone could give me a fresh perspective - I know this is long but I really need help - Thank you very much

ladyhawk

I currently own a 10 year old quarter horse and have had him since he was 4 - ............... I would welcome anything - With as many horse people in the area I'm hoping someone could give me a fresh perspective - I know this is long but I really need help - Thank you very much

I can sympathize. I've been hearing about the rescues turning people down. It's really sad and I believe the other posts are not being mean on purpose but trying to get someones elses sympathetic attention.

It is really sad when a rescue/shelter has to turn an animal away for any reason.. It seems to contradict everything they stand for but with tighter budgets they also have to ensure the care of the others that were fortunate enough to get there first. I'm sure they are hoping you can find another way to keep her or be lucky enough to find her the right home.

Because I have been through a situation of having given one of mine up, only to regret that decision a year later upon hearing about her death... I could never do it again. There are no absolute guarantees except the ones you provide. Working out an arrangement which would help reduce your boarding fees...Which I'm sure you may have already tried. Having A legal document drafted with specific requirements to contact you first in the event they decide to sell or get rid of her and visitation rights, so to speak...

There are other options.
But only you can find the right answer
And you can ony find it in your heart. Nobody knows your horse like you do!

I wish you the very best of luck in your search..

June

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Have you ruled out medical issues that could be causing him to act out. Tack not fitting could cause your horse to act out as well. Soooo many possible causes. Hope you can find a positive resolution. :howdy:

I have a retired race horse that is a pasture pet up at my Mom's. Many days he would hack out great, but once and awhile he would resist and sometime drop his shoulder. Couldn't figure out what was causing it. Turns out he had injuryed his back prior to us getting him off the track.

Hope you can find a positive resolution. :howdy:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
ever tried a professional trainer?

I would have Devine work him. She is an excellent trainer with a gentle but firm hand, and a hell of a seat. If you want the best for your horse, and I am sure you do, the best thing you can do for him is to have him professionally trained. That would be even if you decide to ultimately rehome him. AND, if you want to continue to work with your horse, you can take lessons from whichever trainer your choose. Devine trains horses and gives lessons. I can without a doubt HIGHLY recommend her.

C

campinmutt

maybe the heart mummer has something to do with him and his unwillingness to lope....why can't he just be a walk jog horse??? there are lots of horses with problem lopes....if he is safe at he walk and jog , he could still be used and you could place him easier....good for you to disclose all is quirks !!

spirit0219

Ideas to think about

Is he good with kids? and walking on the lead line? If so, try an equine therapy for people group. Sometimes they will take horses they can use for their therapy programs. Like EquiKids. Or, before riding, have you worked him on the lunge line or round pen? What exactly does he do when you canter/lope? is he bucking? bolting? I have a horse that if you sit to far up on his shoulders when you canter he will buck, so I have to sit really deep in the saddle and keep a tighter rein then when walking or trotting. Sometimes it is how you may be sitting in the saddle. Also, you can sometimes try a different bit. My oldest horse is 35 ( my dad had his mother/3 generations have learned how to ride on him) and I am 31 and I am in the process of breaking and training my 3.5yr old warmblood. If you need any help or tips please feel free to contact me. But dont give up.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I- Here are his good points: he is a social butterfly, loves people, very oral (will lick you to death), loves pizza crust, poptarts, doughnuts, sweet tea, peppermints and me -

He doesn't respect you or your space, people are an automatic treat dispenser in his mind.

Here are his bad points: he is quirky, unpredictable when riding (will walk and jog (former western pleasure horse) till the cows come home) but please dont ask him to canter or jump - If you ask he will pitch a fit (tossing his head, popping up and down, its ugly) however if he decides he wants to canter its quite lovely -

All the horses that I've ever ridden who throw their heads and rear or hump their backs and buck when asked to canter (or gait beyond a walk/trot) or go up hill or down, have saddle fitting issues, and are trying to get those bars or that person off their back because they hurt. Either the saddle doesn't fit or they have a back injury or other physical issue.

An easy quick test you can do on your own is run your finger and thumb down his spine the length of his back, HARD (use your fingernails if you have too). If he arches his back away from your hand anywhere along his spine, his back hurts. You can do this before and after a ride. If it doesn't hurt before he's ridden, but does afterwards, the tack hurts him. Since you can walk/trot, but he reacts to the canter, my guess is the tack doesn't fit. And saddle pads don't "fix" tack fitting issues.

If they don't respect people as a leader figure, and their riders don't have a good seat, when the horse reacts physically in any way, the person gets hurt, which has already happened to you, you've been lucky he hasn't broken your back or neck.

If you decide it's a tack issue, and you want to keep him, then fix the tack issue, and pay someone with a good solid seat who will challenge him, to ride him for you until YOU see the bucks are out, and so he realizes this behavior won't be tolerated no matter what. It's either spend money on him and get tack that works for him, in addition to some training, or buy another horse. Either way, it's money well spent.

.........and yes he is spoiled
THIS is why he's disrespectful. I love my horses as much as anyone but I'm not going to get hurt, and i'm not going to let anyone else get hurt either. If i do, whose gonna work to pay for all that hay?

- I can't sell him because he does have a heart condition - Its a murmur - I have never pushed him because of it and as long as I have had him he has never had any problems -

I'm assuming you've had this confirmed by your vet? If it's serious enough to affect his quality of life and your ability to enjoy a safe sound mount at any speed YOU choose, I'd say that it's caused problems all along. Why continue to feed him in this economy, or burden someone else with it?

I don't mean to sound heartless, but sometimes the right decision isn't always the easiest. There are thousands of quality, sound horses you (and rescues) can be spending hard earned money and time on. Life's too short.

It sounds like messing with this horse has ruined any confidence you had. You need to take some riding lessons, or ride a husband safe horse for a year or two to regain it. Good luck with your decision. Owning and riding a horse should be a GOOD thing and make you happy when you do it. Not instill fear or endanger you every time you hop on.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Is he good with kids? and walking on the lead line? If so, try an equine therapy for people group. Sometimes they will take horses they can use for their therapy programs. Like EquiKids. .

:faint: Kids who use these programs don't need a known bucker under them!

I have a horse that if you sit to far up on his shoulders when you canter he will buck, so I have to sit really deep in the saddle and keep a tighter rein then when walking or trotting. Sometimes it is how you may be sitting in the saddle.

Rider position has a lot to do with balance for horse and rider, but if your horse reacts by bucking only when you lean forward in the saddle, then that saddle hurts him all the time and, he's being polite and respectful by TRYING to tell you only when he just can't stand it any longer, but you won't listen. Continuing to ride him in it may cause permanent damage that will only get worse over time IMO.

fredsaid2

Take the advice of several who have posted:
get a vet exam to rule out anything medical
get professional training for the horse
get professional lessons for you

Devine has a great rep and is one local asset available to you.

Even if you don't keep him after doing these three things you will be a better rider for your next horse.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
maybe the heart mummer has something to do with him and his unwillingness to lope....why can't he just be a walk jog horse??? there are lots of horses with problem lopes....if he is safe at he walk and jog , he could still be used and you could place him easier....good for you to disclose all is quirks !!
I don't think it has a thing to do with his heart, rattle a feed bucket or unwrap a mint and see how fast he comes running. I don't mean to be disrepectful, but saying only ride horse who has enough energy to trot "until the cows come home" and still buck his rider off when asked for a canter is like buying or driving a car missing 3rd and 4th gears. Eventually they will blow up too. Why would anyone want that?

I say get saddle fit and soundness check then don't complain, TRAIN. No sound riding horse should have only 2 gears.

Devine....sounds like you should invest in some charmin to keep your patootie safe if you get on this one without a saddle fit/soundness check and some much needed ground work. :lol:

Last edited:

RachellC

I hope that you will read my post. I was disappointed at some of the responses you received and will admit that I didn't read all of them before replying.
First, you have a very serious issue here - this horse has hurt you severely 3 times and so we have to take a look at the entire situation that could have caused his reactions and then what options you have.
His head tossing, then his violently throwing you is an indication of pain. Albeit there are going to be some training issues here first, any respectable trainer is going to ask you the same questions that I am about to because no amount of training is going to make him succumb to the pain he is feeling. So I would first advise you to have a vet over and have him check especially his mouth.
It may be that he needs to have his teeth floated, or perhaps he has a chronic abscess that his bit is irritating. He may have wolf teeth that are creating so much pain that he has to get you off of him.
So why would he do this at the canter and not the trot or walk? well, your riding skills could be coming into play here and aggravating an issue that he could tolerate at the trot or walk. Without realizing it, you may be putting undue pressure on the reins at the canter. You are probably scared to canter him and with just cause. So your fear, whether or not you actually realize it, can be making you grip the reins, tense up and cause pressure on his mouth. If he has a painful mouth this pressure is going to exasperate the pain. It would be interesting to see if he could be canted on a bitless bridle, hackamore, or just a halter with reins attached.
If it is not his mouth, then it could be his back. Again, the head tossing is an indication of pain and while ill fitting tack could be a culprit, it would not manifest itself in such a violent way unless there was an underlying problem already. And if he canters in the field fine, there's another indication that it has something to do with the connection between his tack, you, and his body.
Another pain aspect is his legs, and at 10 years old he could be showing signs of arthritis or joint disease. He could have suspensory injuries that you can't see. His willingness to trot and walk but not canter could indicate a strain on the suspensory ligament which would require surgery,about a year layup, and then reconditioning. Most suspensory injuries occur in the hind legs and become present when a horse refuses to do something he once did well. A violent reaction like this could be an indicator to a vet to check out the suspensory.
If it is his back or another joint in his legs that is affecting him, your vet may want to start joint injections, accupuncture, or treating him other ways such as Shock Wave Therapy, or a combo of treatments.
You need to get him vetted right away and have a competent rider be available for when the vet comes out. I do not suggest that you ride him for the vet because it is hard for him to explain to you what he sees without showing you it as it's happening.
Now, let's talk about you...
While I understand that you adore this horse, once you have him vetted you are going to need to ask yourself some hard questions. This horse sounds like he has done some serious damage to you physically and mentally. Time and time again I have seen people purchase horses far beyond their riding skills and have seen them get hurt, seriously hurt, and still keep believing that "he didn't mean to do it." Yes, they can be sweet as pie on the ground but that doesn't mean they are going to love you on their backs.
As riders we have to evaluate our own skills and be realistic about them. While you may be a very good rider, you may not be a very good rider for this horse. Should the vet give him a clean bill of health (if he does, get a second opinion fast) then you need to re-evaluate your position. A good trainer will correct his issues but that doesn't mean he is going to correct his issues with you.
I once worked with an abused gelding that no one could ride. He would rear at the mounting block, roll with you on his back if you did get mounted, and run with you on the trails. He would never soften at the poll and relax his back BUT he was an absolute doll in the field. So I was asked one day if I wanted to buy him but I didn't want to without riding him first.
The owners took him out, tacked him up and all the time were screaming at him, beating him and kicking him every time he moved. I didn't say anything, I just watched. I saw him panic at the mounting block which got him a swift kick in the belly at the girth. 45 minutes later the husband owner was on him, with his elbows in his ribs and the line between this poor horse's mouth and his hands was so tense I wanted to cry. About 5 minutes into the owner riding him with mixed signals (kicking him to go forward but with his hands so tight on the reins that he was pulling back on his mouth) the horse reared and spun. The owner stayed on long enough to crack him on his poll between his ears with the crop he also had.
I didn't ride the horse that day but started working with him every time I came to the barn. I would groom him, get him to relax, and walk him to the mounting block. There we would just stand and talk, while sharing a bunch of carrots. In a few days I got on him, bareback in a halter and lead and we walked comfortably around the ring and dismounted. In a few weeks we were trotting nicely, calmly and relaxed under tack. His teeth needed to be done badly and having the bit in his mouth was creating a lot of pain.
One day the owners had come out right when we got to the mounting block and saw me slide onto him easy, then watched us walk trot and canter in the ring and they were amazed. The next day I came out, heard the screaming and yelling from the ring and saw that the owners were trying to get on him. I couldn't believe that all my work could be undone in 10 minutes like that. When I went out there I told them I would buy him just to save him from them, but they upped the price on me from $500 to $3000 because they were so impressed by what he could do. As much as I regret it, I couldn't afford that amount of money and so I never rode him again. I wouldn't confuse him like that and be part of a mental cycle.
I'm telling you this story because I want you to understand that his issues are most likely medical and need to be addressed, but that they could also be about you too. After you vet him, find a trainer who will work with you and him and if you still can't get it right, then rehome him. But whatever you do, do not donate him to a therapy program. The last thing that you would want is a liability lawsuit because you knowing gave him away with violent issues.
But I can almost guarantee you that once you get him properly vetted, something will show up that is causing this, and after a bit of retraining he should be okay. It doesn't sound like he is viciously trying to hurt you. he's trying to tell you he's in pain and he needs you to help him by not asking him for too much.
Good luck. Feel free to Pm me if you have more questions.

erinjograves

why can't he just be a walk jog horse??? there are lots of horses with problem lopes....if he is safe at he walk and jog , he could still be used and you could place him easier....good for you to disclose all is quirks !!

:yeahthat:

and the professional trainer part!!!! From what I have heard, Devine is awesome! If I ever find the money, Tucker may be going to visit her!!! :)

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Well as others have said a reaction that he is giving you is a pain response. He is feeling something when you move into the canter. There is some sort of pain going on that you may not know about.

Does he get his teeth regulary done?

What kind of saddle do you ride in?

Has the saddle ever been fitted to him?

Does he act like that without tack on when you do some ground work?

I would first off get the vet out to see him and get a whole work up. Tell the vet what you told us. Let them find out if there is a real physical reason he is like that.

AFter you get that ruled out and it is not a physical reason, it is time for horsey boot camp. He has been allowed to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. Now that you have had some scares in the canter you most likely stiffen up which makes him stiffen up. My own horse when I stiffen up in the canter will pick up the wrong lead in the ring, and toss his head at me. He is telling me to let go. Mind you it has taken 5 months of lessons to get that through my thick sjull to let go.

I had a bolter before I had my current horse. I gave him two years and had many people work with him. He didn't get any better and i had to toss in the towel. I can't afford a pasture pet to just look at.

Step 1: Get a vet out to look at him

Step 2: If Step one ends up being in the clear get a trainer to evaluate him.

Step 3: Get a horsey chiro to look at him. My guy gets chiro'd once every 3 or 4 months. It is expensive but he is a much happier horse after it is done.

Step 4. Get some traning for the both of you!!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I have a horse that had a problem loping also. I would go to pick my left lead up and he would buck. Turns out he had severe arthritis in his right hock(leg he was pushing off with). I would check his back and his hocks for sure

Oh and go with Devine!

IntegritysDream

Okay well based on my personal experiences with my guy... I have a quarter something X, and hes about the same age as your guy. I had the biggest issues with him at the canter and other behavioral problems, with bucking and spinning (still do sometimes) but nothing as sever as what it sounds like your guy is doing. Most of the people on here can tell you that have seen him, how big of a butt my boy can be. We always knew it was pain related though, but we thought it was in his stiffles. After about a year of fighting with him, we got a new trainer, and moved him to a new farm, ect. We got a vet out after he went lame found out most of his pain was in his legs, then after getting a chiro. out we found out his back, like in the area where the edge of his saddle sits, was very sore, and everytime hed go to pick up the canter, the saddle was digging into his back causing pain. Got a new saddle, treated his issues for the leg problems, put him on supplements for his joints, and get him chiro. every 2 months and put front shoes on and he is A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PONY. I too made up excuses for him for a while, but the more you let em do it, the more they get away with it, and the worse it gets/the stronger they get. All the peeps on here have gave you good opinions. I would too suggest

full Vetting (legs, back, teeth, stiffles ect... get it all checked!)
have a professional get on him/work with him (Devine works wonders!)
you take lessons on another horse in the mean time
Chiropracter
and maybe even try some supplements

Also, my horse too is a licker, and LOVES people, eats all the same things you listed, and while he IS spoiled, he knows his limits and my personal space, so make sure yours does too and that he sees you as "top horse" not just a treat bag. You dont want yourself to be put in a dangerous situation on ground by having a horse that doesnt respect you... been there done that.

FrmGrl

Get some!
Great response from you Integrity! Ill fitting tack can cause such issues. I recently had to give my girl some time off due to an ill fitting dressage saddle. You horse may have other issues but everyone here is right. Get a good trainer, good vet and get some good habits of not letting him get away with things and respect you and you may have yourself a different horse.