Need Some Horse Help

IntegritysDream

Great response from you Integrity! Ill fitting tack can cause such issues. I recently had to give my girl some time off due to an ill fitting dressage saddle. You horse may have other issues but everyone here is right. Get a good trainer, good vet and get some good habits of not letting him get away with things and respect you and you may have yourself a different horse.

thanks lol! :huggy:

Wait4It..boom

Try a treeless saddle! It will conform to your horse's back vice trying to fit a treed saddle. Peeps here convinced me to buy one and it's been great on my horse's back. It did take a little getting used to (you really feel the horse under you without bulk of english or a western saddle). But my new saddle conforms to my oddly shaped horse (and her back issues) and actually has helped my back issues to boot!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Try a treeless saddle! It will conform to your horse's back vice trying to fit a treed saddle. Peeps here convinced me to buy one and it's been great on my horse's back. It did take a little getting used to (you really feel the horse under you without bulk of english or a western saddle). But my new saddle conforms to my oddly shaped horse (and her back issues) and actually has helped my back issues to boot!

:buddies: Plus in the colder riding days you can feel the body heat from the horse and it keeps your bum warm:killingme

dcfdwife

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post - I'm still having a hard time with this and I want to do whats right by him - I finally got back on and rode him today and while all we did was walk it was a very good lesson - I have decided to look at getting another horse - I'm very fond of quarter horses so I hope I can find a nice one and the story continues .....

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
A local lady has a gorgeous, quiet palomino QH mare for sale. let me know if you'd like info. I just rode with them yesterday. She's a super dooper trail mare.

Take the advice of several who have posted:
get a vet exam to rule out anything medical
get professional training for the horse
get professional lessons for you

Devine has a great rep and is one local asset available to you.

Even if you don't keep him after doing these three things you will be a better rider for your next horse.

:yeahthat:
I would definitely rule out pain - that would be my first thought on this particular problem.

PrepH4U

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post - I'm still having a hard time with this and I want to do whats right by him - I finally got back on and rode him today and while all we did was walk it was a very good lesson - I have decided to look at getting another horse - I'm very fond of quarter horses so I hope I can find a nice one and the story continues .....

So you keeping him or getting rid of him? :shrug:

dcfdwife

If I could afford to keep him and a new horse I would but that's not reality LOL - Since I can't trust him I need to move on with a horse that I can - He has to find a new home

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I went through a lot with my old horse that I had before. I absolutely adored him on the ground. Once you got on his back he was a very tough horse to ride. We could do a walk/trot with no issue but the canter was a bit tough. He was a bolter in the canter and had a history of it. I wasn't the only one that he would do that with. There are many people on here that have ridden him at one time or another.

I sold him last year and got my current horse. I have no regrets doing it because I can enjoy riding now and not fighting all the time. Old horse is in a good home that doesn't involve a show ring. He is spoiled rotten and very loved.

WesternRider

It sounds like you made a good decision. You won't be able to ride ANY horse if you are injured badly. I had a horse years ago that bucked me off and injured me. I decided to get rid of it, and ended up selling it for a decent price for someone who only wanted to use it for breeding, they weren't even interested in riding at all. A good home for your horse is still a possibility.

Good luck!