Need Subframe connecters welded but where?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, very few unibodies prior to say 2000, and most after that, high power levels can twist it like a pretzel. We have a guy on SRTforums, he and his Dad are dropping a Stage 3 SRT-4 motor, going to be about 400whp and somewhere in the 400wtq level, into a 1985 GLH Omni. Given a curb weight in the 2200lb range, should be a helluva ride.

CrashTest

Nice. I have some full length ones on the way. From what I've researched, they really help with handling and hard accelaration due to frame flexing.

I don't engage in spirited driving or hard acceleration but I'd be curious to know if they help with low speed body creaking which is something our cars are known for. For example, the body creaking you get sometimes when driving really slow up onto a uneven driveway entrance.

redvtech07

I don't engage in spirited driving or hard acceleration but I'd be curious to know if they help with low speed body creaking which is something our cars are known for. For example, the body creaking you get sometimes when driving really slow up onto a uneven driveway entrance.

I would imagine they would help with that. They are supposed to stiffen up the whole chassis. I will try and post up a little review once I get them on. Hopefully sometime next week.

JoeMac

Wow, lot of misinformation in this thread.

Subframe connectors are designed to connect the "subframes" on unibody cars. This would be the front subframe that houses the engine/transmission and front suspension and the rear subframe which houses the rear suspension and sometimes the rear end on rwd cars. IMO a good set of sfc's will tie into the two rear seat bolts on each side to really tie in the subframe of the car. SFC's simulate a full frame under the unibody.

There are only a very small handful of subframe trucks out there. VW is about the only one I can think of, along with some mini suvs.

They may be bracing the frame on larger trucks but you would not use subframe connectors on a truck.

There were millions of subframe cars before 2000, in fact there were only a couple that did have full frames and it has been this way since the '80s.

Subframe connectors will show a major improvement in all around driving including tightening up the creaks from regular use.

As far as answering the OP's question, do yourself a favor and take it Mckeown Motorsport Engineering. He is on Iron Gate Dr. in Waldorf and specializes in Ford performance. Owners name is Mark and he will fix you up.

Last edited: