need to know the difference

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
I am looking to buy my horse some boots to see if it helps his on off lame issues .. I need to know which is better for this purpose support boots or splint boots and should I just get fronts thats were the issue is? Thanks TC

fredsaid2

The boots you're asking about are thought of more as protection. Professional's Choice - Protective Gear are advertised as giving support but most will debate that. If he's having on/off lameness issues corrective shoeing is your best avenue, your farrier working with your vet. Has there been a diagnosis or is it a mystery to them? Have you done x-rays?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
nope thats not what I want .. I want something that goes on his leg /coffin bone area it's not in his foot my farrier has checked his foot and shoes.

Coffin bone is in the hoof can not support that..but the SMB are great for working the young ones I have several pair of them....Love them...Great for leg support..

DQ2B

Honestly, no boot of the type that you speak will help with lameness issues. Splint, Professional Choice type boots, etc. do little more than prevent a horse from nicking itself with the adjacent hoof. The amount of "support" that would be neccessary to really "do" anything (despite whatever advertising the boot claims) would pretty much render the leg imobile. What tests have your vet(s) done to locate the exact problem area? You should try to narrow down further the exact cause of the lameness so that a more suitable protocol could be followed.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
The boots you're asking about are thought of more as protection. Professional's Choice - Protective Gear are advertised as giving support but most will debate that. If he's having on/off lameness issues corrective shoeing is your best avenue, your farrier working with your vet. Has there been a diagnosis or is it a mystery to them? Have you done x-rays?

he has corrective shoes, yes my vet is working with my farrier, yes he has been blocked and x-rayed he was lame last year for about 6 months(dr stott thought bruised sole) then he got better went on a few rides and a 17 mile ride at Tuckahoe one day rode the next and he was fine ...rode him last sunday at oakridge barrels, trail and ring he was fine rode the next day short trail he was fine then went to see him thursday and he was lame again ..I was thinking of a boot like wearing a splint on your weak ankle.. guess I need to get my vet back out my vet already came out and trimmed his feet and put his shoes back on he said if he was soar he would not of stood still to have his shoes put back on he was fine.. he was not lame until thursday..

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
he has corrective shoes, yes my vet is working with my farrier, yes he has been blocked and x-rayed he was lame last year for about 6 months(dr stott thought bruised sole) then he got better went on a few rides and a 17 mile ride at Tuckahoe one day rode the next and he was fine ...rode him last sunday at oakridge barrels, trail and ring he was fine rode the next day short trail he was fine then went to see him thursday and he was lame again ..I was thinking of a boot like wearing a splint on your weak ankle.. guess I need to get my vet back out my vet already came out and trimmed his feet and put his shoes back on he said if he was soar he would not of stood still to have his shoes put back on he was fine.. he was not lame until thursday..

i had the same type of issue with my first horse and it ended up beign a trip up to leesburg and a few thousand later. But I would work him for a few weeks then he would go lame for a month then fine then i would lightyly ride him once then lame again for 6 months then fine then perfect for hard work and this kept continuing. Field xrays showed nothing and the farrier couldn't see anything wrong so then the final choice was leesburg and it ended up being that he had a slight nuvicular change that just flared up randomly. Have you asked your vet about that? the nerve block and good xrays would show it thats how i found out about my horses issue.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
[. Have you asked your vet about that? the nerve block and good xrays would show it thats how i found out about my horses issue.[/QUOTE]

Dr Miller was the first vet and she freaked me out and said something about nivicular(sp) so I got a second opinion and Dr Stott looked at the x-rays and said na I am about ready to get a third ..this is driving me crazy he is only 10 and the prior owners said he has never had any problems or x-rays before but he was also just a walk trot lesson horse not used to the 3-4 hour rides we do now.. Someone had mentioned getting his nerve deadened ?? How would they fine wich nerve it was if they could ??

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
It is called getting them nerved...They permanently block them to the hoof...look into that before you do it..it is like having a foot there you do not have any feeling in..

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
[. Have you asked your vet about that? the nerve block and good xrays would show it thats how i found out about my horses issue.

Dr Miller was the first vet and she freaked me out and said something about nivicular(sp) so I got a second opinion and Dr Stott looked at the x-rays and said na I am about ready to get a third ..this is driving me crazy he is only 10 and the prior owners said he has never had any problems or x-rays before but he was also just a walk trot lesson horse not used to the 3-4 hour rides we do now.. Someone had mentioned getting his nerve deadened ?? How would they fine wich nerve it was if they could ??[/QUOTE]

Dr. Miller was the one who did the xrays for my horse and told me to go to leesburg. She told me that it was very hard to see nuvicular changes in the field xrays becuase they arent as detailed. My horse was 7 when he was diganosed with it and i sold him because i did hunters and it would worsen the change. its managable with supplements and with very good corrective shoeing( i used richard campani and he was amazing!)

devinej

yah, sorry but boots are not going to help with that - won't make a difference. doesn't work the same like wearing a brace on your knee or ankle.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
It is called getting them nerved...They permanently block them to the hoof...look into that before you do it..it is like having a foot there you do not have any feeling in..

Well forget that that would be like walking on your foot when it is asleep to weird thanks

DQ2B

Sounds suspiciously like soft tissue issues. An ultrasound may be of help in a diagnosis.

Eventer29

I'm kind of going with DQ2B sounds kind of like a soft tissue thing. My mare had lameness issues off and on after comming back from Florida last year. vet thought it was her knee, injected it..no better, she'd seem totally sound, then do something silly in the field and then be almost 3 legged lame, then fine, then off. I didnt ride her durring this time, finally put her on total stall rest with short slow lungeing sessions each day (to keep her from tearing the stall
down. It has been over a year now but I started riding her again about 2 months ago and she has been perfectly sound (knock on wood).
Soft tissue damage requires lots of rest/time off.
there are all sorts of issues that can make a horse seem fine one day and lame the next. I'd keep looking into it.
As far as the boots, I dont think there is really a boot out there that is supportive enough to cure a lameness. But what I have found is that it can make you feel a whole lot better in a situation where you feel helpless. At least you feel like you are doing SOMETHING for poor horsie.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
[. But what I have found is that it can make you feel a whole lot better in a situation where you feel helpless. At least you feel like you are doing SOMETHING for poor horsie.[/QUOTE]

ya I know that feeling but I was kindly reminded the other night that the vet blocked his pastern and he went completly sound so the issue is in his foot . what ever issue it is . I guess I am going to have to do some more research on foot issues thanks for all your insights you just saved me money I will be spending on the vet instead :nomoney:

fredsaid2

If he went sound blocked low it could be below the coronet band. Did your vet recommend an MRI for a definitive diagnosis? Did he mention anything like Deep Digital Flexor Tendon issues? If you're looking at a tendon issue he could need 6 mos to a year possibly for any level of recovery. In the midst of all that recovery time he will likely re-injure himself a few times. Good luck with your third opinion. Hopefully they can give you something concrete to work with.