New ‘Star Trek’ Series to Air on CBS All Access in 2017

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/star-trek-new-series-cbs-all-access-1201631410/

Producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new “Star Trek” TV series, setting it at warp speed to debut on CBS in January 2017.

The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. This would be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

The launch strategy is meant to capitalize on “Star Trek’s” ardent OTT fanbase, presumably resulting in the growth of All Access while also creating a unique universe for “Star Trek” fans.

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, exec VP and g.m. of CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

H

Hodr

I probably would have watched it if it were on network TV, or even Hulu. I won't pay CBS to use their ####ty online service that still injects commercials.

Can't imagine they are putting much money into the effort either. I expect CGI on par with the practical effects from "It Came From Outer Space".