New Barn

fredsaid2

Great News Fred....We chickened out and had ours built. We had no extra time to gather materials let alone, have the time to get the barn started. I have built a barn before and it is alot of work doing it part time and any spare time you have on your hands. Its alot of hard work but a good feeling to know you did it all your way. Good Luck! Get your big bottle of advil or excederin now.:buddies:

I guess we're half chicken. We have someone doing the majority of the work but we're to be 'helpers' to offset some of the costs. I didn't realize digging all the footers fell under the helper job description. That's what happens when you let a man run the show. :lmao:

It is a good feeling to put sweat equity into the project, wish blisters didn't come along w/ the package. I DO need that big bottle of advil, maybe an advil IV. Why can't we have the means to do all this in our youth?? It's a twisted world!

Sparks

Congrats Fred!! Very exciting for you. :yahoo:

We did ours much the way you're doing yours, had very experienced carpenters working and my husband was their helper. I did a lot too. It's very rewarding when you're all done knowing you helped build it.

Just like building a house though, if you move in before it's 100% done, it won't get done. I have a unfinished master bathroom and unfinished tack room. See, it happens both places. :doh:

Good luck!!

FrmGrl

Get some!
I guess we're half chicken. We have someone doing the majority of the work but we're to be 'helpers' to offset some of the costs. I didn't realize digging all the footers fell under the helper job description. That's what happens when you let a man run the show. :lmao:

It is a good feeling to put sweat equity into the project, wish blisters didn't come along w/ the package. I DO need that big bottle of advil, maybe an advil IV. Why can't we have the means to do all this in our youth?? It's a twisted world!
You know you can always call hubby right???? He would be more than happy to help. :buddies:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Twenty something years ago when I first moved to my farm, I built the barn by myself in less than one month. The only help I needed was with the roof, couldn't put the tin up on the rafters and have it stay there by the time I climed back up the ladder so I got Mingz to help hand me the tin:) It came out exactly square on one side and only 1/2 inch off on the other. Thought that was pretty good for the first time building anything that big. Now I build all the time and don't give a second thought to it. Woman power is awesome, we can do anything we put our minds to. Thanks again for the help on the roof, twenty years later Mingz!! I was building by day, taking jacquzzi's to refresh and then working a ten hour evening. I wish I still had all that energy and back that I had then. Good luck on your barn, I know it will turn out awesome........

mingiz

Horse Poor
Twenty something years ago when I first moved to my farm, I built the barn by myself in less than one month. The only help I needed was with the roof, couldn't put the tin up on the rafters and have it stay there by the time I climed back up the ladder so I got Mingz to help hand me the tin:) It came out exactly square on one side and only 1/2 inch off on the other. Thought that was pretty good for the first time building anything that big. Now I build all the time and don't give a second thought to it. Woman power is awesome, we can do anything we put our minds to. Thanks again for the help on the roof, twenty years later Mingz!! I was building by day, taking jacquzzi's to refresh and then working a ten hour evening. I wish I still had all that energy and back that I had then. Good luck on your barn, I know it will turn out awesome........

Aww thanks Spur'd..Anytime you know that....And 20 some years later your still going strong....:yahoo:

SPF001

It took my father inlaw, wife and I 8 days working to put up our pole barn 84X40 with 14' sides. This was a one day a weekend project but it was great. We started out at our last place with a 24X24 and this time it was much easier. Haveing a tractor, nail guns and screw guns made it much easier on my body too.

fredsaid2

It took my father inlaw, wife and I 8 days working to put up our pole barn 84X40 with 14' sides. This was a one day a weekend project but it was great. We started out at our last place with a 24X24 and this time it was much easier. Haveing a tractor, nail guns and screw guns made it much easier on my body too.

That is a big honking barn! Do you have 14' stalls? We have a nail gun. Expensive but it made putting up fencing a lot easier. Now it gets to earn it's keep w/ the barn. What did you use for the stall fronts and dividers?

SPF001

The stalls are built out of rough cut oak. We built the wall between the stalls with a 4X6 in the ground and 1X6 oak boards on both sides up about 8'. For the floor we needed something that drained well so we built up the floor with 3-5" bluestone then put 2X4's, then crushed bluestone chips. They drain like a champ and the horses can't dig or paw on the floor. Send me your email and I will send you some pics. I don't know how to post them here.