• Slog on with MS

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Other...please describe...

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I use Norton Internet Security on all of my machines. I have never had a virus get through. Yet. I think in '06 Symantec made it so you could buy one software package and install it on up to 3 PCs.

I think now they have something new out. "System One" or something like that, I saw it one the shelf at Walmart last week. Again made by Symantec. I think it covers most of the Security related stuff and also has some of the features of Norton SystemWorks which is a package that helps keep a PC running smoothly.

Something to consider might be picking up Sytem One or Norton Internet Security. Running that on all of your machines. Virus scan, spyware check, clean the cache and run defrag. If after doing all of that you should have virus free with a clean machine then you can get into the nuts and bolts of whatever individual problems may still exist.

R

RadioPatrol

Depends

Larry Gude said:
I am an average user, I guess, of modest computer skills and, I guess, fairly typical 'puter needs. And I like/am used to Office.

What do the people think?

some of the issues can be fixed - new laptop hard drive - not that hard to swap

Virus infected PC, wiped and re installed

or buy new

I'd say Mac Mini ....... you have all the other "stuff" M,K,M .......... if you don't like it you can get good money for it on Ebay ............ friend of mine sold his "old" Mini and got $500 for it ......... he did not pay much more when it was new 2 yrs ago ......... PPC 1.42Gh.

Now with Intel processors you could run "Boot Camp" ie dual boot .... or better Parallels ....... a virtual PC that runs with Mac OS ......

I can help with some or all ........... except sell you a Mac .......... you might drive down to Tyson's? to the Apple Store, or MicroCenter in Vienna has a Mac Section ..........

Windows to Mac a Swithers Guide

R

RadioPatrol

Larry Gude said:
...of big words like Linux. Is that over the head of an average Joe?

Linux Distros

Ubuntu
Knoppix
PC OS Linux

most have a "live" linux you can boot off of a a CD/DVD and test drive the OS b4 installing

NTER

The only thing I know about Vista is that you shouldn't let kids play old games on it, It resets EVERYTHING if you do.
(Always learn, well I learned.)

slaphappynmd

Toxick said:
I haven't used vista, so I can't speak for or against it. I've seen it. It looks pretty, but that's as far as I'm willing to say.

I do find it hard to believe that drivers and hardware support would be an issue for Vista however. Especially hardware that works in a previous version of Windows. Microsoft clings to backwards compatability to a fault. So it seems unlikely that stuff would work for an older one and then disappear....

I don't doubt what you're saying... and you're not the first person who's told me this. I am just having a hard time wrapping my brain around it because this is a new problem with them.

This being the case I would heartily recommend XP R2 over Vista and Linux.

I don't know much about Mac... but I do know that most Mac users are annoying as ####, and I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone. :elaine:
you are right about the backwards compatability, everything has worked fine in fact, its just my video camera, so maybe its more the driver than the OS. Mac users are snobby! j/k I'm just jealous I can't afford a $2000 laptop.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I haven't...

...decided yet.

Over the weekend at my trade show my client whipped out his brand new lap mac and it was sweeeeeeettttttt. Plus, he got the I phone and loves that damn thing. It is very nice too. Though he says wait for the better battery.

Time to, if nothing else, buy some Apple stock. :lmao:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Also remember that you can do two different boot setups if you have the space... one for Vista and one for XP. That way you use the one better suited to your current purpose each time you load up.