New Deck

black dog

Free America
You also have to look at the label on the pressure treated lumber you are buying.
Just for ground contact there is three or four grades. Then you have marine grade pressure treated meant for submerged use that has a much higher rating.
If I remember the ground contact rating are .015 up to .040 and marine grade lumber is .250 but it's been awhile.
Rating is key to long life..

glhs837

Power with Control
You also have to look at the label on the pressure treated lumber you are buying.
Just for ground contact there is three or four grades. Then you have marine grade pressure treated meant for submerged use that has a much higher rating.
If I remember the ground contact rating are .015 up to .040 and marine grade lumber is .250 but it's been awhile.
Rating is key to long life..

Not easy finding the higher grades

black dog

Free America
I have also considered something with natural rot resistance like redwood or ipe.

I would use ipe, I believe the boardwalk in Atlantic City is ipe and has given excellent life.
My parents used redwood for the decks on there home maybe twenty five years ago. The builder told them it would last 40+ years easily, it made it about 20 and a huge portion of the deck boards had rotted ends bad enough to cause problems.
We removed all or the decks flooring and cut and reinstalled it along with some new flooring.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For the thicker than one inch but not as thick as 1-1/4" boards a 12 ft Ipe board is $48, a 12 ft Cumaru board is $33.75, and composite runs anywhere from $25 for the cheap to $55 for the fancy stuff.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm
https://www.advantagelumber.com/decking2.htm

We're replacing the decks on our island clubhouse with all composite, and the porch and stairway on our new house also composite. Difficult as it is to get now, even the "marine grade" so-called treated lumber is a shadow of it's former glory. I've got some pier boards going bad that are not much over 10 years old...while I've got other sections where the boards are 40 years old easy..the old stuff was amazing by comparison.

One thing to keep in mind with using the Trex or similar is it's inability to span the same distances wood decking can without sagging. Joists have to be spaced closer together.

PeoplesElbow

We're replacing the decks on our island clubhouse with all composite, and the porch and stairway on our new house also composite. Difficult as it is to get now, even the "marine grade" so-called treated lumber is a shadow of it's former glory. I've got some pier boards going bad that are not much over 10 years old...while I've got other sections where the boards are 40 years old easy..the old stuff was amazing by comparison.

One thing to keep in mind with using the Trex or similar is it's inability to span the same distances wood decking can without sagging. Joists have to be spaced closer together.

I have pressure treated wood in the ground for my shed that I believe is old as the house, so 41 years old that is fine, I also had treated landscape timbers that were entirely rotted away except for the plastic tags stapled to the ends of them that still looked new. No idea how old those landscape timbers are, but considering the exposed tags still look new they can't be that old.

Since I am re-decking I think I have decided on Cumaru.

glhs837

Power with Control

Well, it spans like 5/4 deck boards, but not like 2x6, I think. 16 inch centers works fine.