New Feeder

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Yeahhhhh......no. I want to discourage them, not reward them so they stick around. Even if it is entertaining. I'll just watch someone else's vids.

Kinnakeet

Decided to make a bird feeder, so I repurposed a cracked bamboo kitchen cutting board and mounted it on a 3" PVC pipe. Put out sunflower chips and safflower seed (cardinals like safflower and other birds leave it). Got some day old bagels, cut in half, schmear with peanut butter and add sunflower chips.

3 days later, nothing has been touched. I know it takes some time for the birds to discover it, but I'm surprised it's taking this long. I really thought the deer would have found the peanut butter bagels by now as they are in the backyard daily. Even the squirrels are ignoring it.

:ohwell:

View attachment 154159
You want birds of all kinds get some black oil sunflower seeds,peckers like suet cakes,and squirrels like erything

Kinnakeet

A few birds found it yesterday, finches, chickadees, cardinals... then they all disappeared. Didn't see them all day today. Just now I turned to look out the window, and there was a huge hawk sitting on a branch just a few feet from the feeder.

:lol: I think I know why I'm not seeing any small birds....
You created a bait station/feeder station for Hawks and Owl's

Kinnakeet

This feeder has been doing real well, and the squirrels haven't bothered it at all.

Until this week. One who seems to be just a little smarter and little more aggressive finally managed to figure a way to shimmy up the PVC pole. Yesterday I sprayed the pole with vegetable spray, and that took care of that. But the squirrel is visibly upset and has gotten very aggressive towards the others, and appears to be totally frustrated. He/She tries to jump from the ground 6 feet straight up to the platform, falls short by 2 feet, then angrily chases the others around the yard. :lol:
A .22 will take care of that problem

Kinnakeet

While deer hunting this guy came by to check on the tree rodents running around in the woods

Attachments

• Owl 2022.jpg
    Owl 2022.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 94

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
This feeder has been doing real well, and the squirrels haven't bothered it at all.

Until this week. One who seems to be just a little smarter and little more aggressive finally managed to figure a way to shimmy up the PVC pole. Yesterday I sprayed the pole with vegetable spray, and that took care of that. But the squirrel is visibly upset and has gotten very aggressive towards the others, and appears to be totally frustrated. He/She tries to jump from the ground 6 feet straight up to the platform, falls short by 2 feet, then angrily chases the others around the yard. :lol:
I coated my feeder pole with bedliner spray and it worked for a while, but I should've sanded the pole first. The bedliner began to flake after repeated attempts by the squirrels and now is ineffective. I think I'll reload the feeder and try the cooking spray approach. :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I coated my feeder pole with bedliner spray and it worked for a while, but I should've sanded the pole first. The bedliner began to flake after repeated attempts by the squirrels and now is ineffective. I think I'll reload the feeder and try the cooking spray approach. :yay:
Works really well on PVC when it's raining. :yay: