New Pope elected

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
Thanks for the link! Someone please explain to me what the church could possibly be thinking?

After the child molestation scandals, isn't now the time to put someone in power who will smooth things over? It doesn't seem like a guy who belonged to Hitler's youth organization would be the right person.

Tonio said:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/477bab6e-b0e7-11d9-9bfc-00000e2511c8.html

Some background on Ratzinger. (I keep wanting to say "Ratzenberger," the last name of the actor who played Cliff Claven.)

K

Kain99

flowerchild said:
Thanks for the link! Someone please explain to me what the church could possibly be thinking?

After the child molestation scandals, isn't now the time to put someone in power who will smooth things over? It doesn't seem like a guy who belonged to Hitler's youth organization would be the right person.
Well, we are waiting for the "Anti-Christ" :sad:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Tonio said:
From some quick Web reading, Ratzinger sounds scary. He has claimed that the pedophilia scandal here in the US was all made up as a deliberate plot to discredit the Church.

. . .and he was absolutely correct in this assessment. The American press has avoided publishing that this is a homosexual problem problem in the ranks of the Catholic Church. Since homosexuality is approved of by many in the United States, the press couldn't very well paint the church as evil if it wrote about ghey priests.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
Excuse my ignorance on this point, but does anyone know how the molestation scandals have affected the curch in other countries? Is this just an issue for the American church?

Kain99 said:
Well, we are waiting for the "Anti-Christ" :sad:

dustin

UAIOE
flowerchild said:
It doesn't seem like a guy who belonged to Hitler's youth organization would be the right person.

Lets see be beaten and put in jail...

Or join the Hitler youth with the rest of your german buddies....

which would you choose at the time?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Lenny said:
. . .and he was absolutely correct in this assessment. The American press has avoided publishing that this is a homosexual problem problem in the ranks of the Catholic Church. Since homosexuality is approved of by many in the United States, the press couldn't very well paint the church as evil if it wrote about ghey priests.
I assumed that Ratzinger was saying that no one was molested at all, that all the charges were deliberately made up. Is that what you're saying? Or are you suggesting that the PC press deliberately hid the fact that most of the victims were teenage boys, so as not make gays look bad?

I've said before that calling this "pedophilia" is misleading. For a while, I seriously wondered if I should let my two toddlers anywhere near a church.

Last edited:

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
dustin said:
Lets see be beaten and put in jail...

Or join the Hitler youth with the rest of your german buddies....

which would you choose at the time?

Many people were forced to make miserable decisions at that time and I am not discrediting those choices.

I just wonder how many people will have difficulty relating to him based on some of these facts.

It's not the same as the Presidency for example, where people from opposing parties with opposite points of view are running against one another. The pope IMO should be someone who doesn't have a background that would be so difficult for some members of the church to understand. Again, just my thoughts.

dustin

UAIOE
flowerchild said:
Many people were forced to make miserable decisions at that time and I am not discrediting those choices.

I just wonder how many people will have difficulty relating to him based on some of these facts.

It's not the same as the Presidency for example, where people from opposing parties with opposite points of view are running against one another. The pope IMO should be someone who doesn't have a background that would be so difficult for some members of the church to understand. Again, just my thoughts.

:yay: :yay:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Lenny said:
Whether the priests were targeting teenage boys or little kids, the fact remains that rapes were committed by members of the clergy. I wish the Church would look at it from that standpoint.

Fred Hoeck

Papst ist ein Bayer!

Hessian said:
Ach zu liebe!
ein Deutsch Pope?

Grüss Gott im Himmel!
Den neue Heilgen Vater, Benedict XVI ist ein Bayer! Er ist ein wundervolle mann! Gott hat es recht.

Benedict XV war papst wahrend erste welt krieg und kampt fuer frieden.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Fred Hoeck said:
Den neue Heilgen Vater, Benedict XVI ist ein Bayer! Er ist ein wundervolle mann! Gott hat es recht.

Benedict XV war papst wahrend erste welt krieg und kampt fuer frieden.
This is what I get from babelfish.altavista.com:

The new welfare gene father, Benedict XVI is a Bavarian! He is a wonderful man! God is right it. Benedict XV was protecting Pope first world war and kampt for peace.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
I know I'm gonna take some hits from this one...but here goes anyway...

I'm wondering about the statements that Benedict (an ironic name IMO) did what he had to do to protect himself from the government...it seems to me that Jesus was willing to take whatever punishment was dealt him and stand up for the right thing, Aren't we all supposed to try to live like Jesus?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
flowerchild said:
I know I'm gonna take some hits from this one...but here goes anyway...

I'm wondering about the statements that Benedict (an ironic name IMO) did what he had to do to protect himself from the government...it seems to me that Jesus was willing to take whatever punishment was dealt him and stand up for the right thing, Aren't we all supposed to try to live like Jesus?
You have a valid point. Personally, I would much rather form my opinions about the new Pope based on his recent words and deeds as a cardinal.

Also, I don't think that Benedict has a negative meaning outside America. I doubt that the average German knows who Benedict Arnold was or why his name became synonymous with treason.

D

dems4me

Tonio said:
This is what I get from babelfish.altavista.com:

Does that website translate German language for free? I have a book I'd like translated.