New Prez new gun?

SPF001

It seems like everyone is picking up new guns before they are banned. I have most of the fun toys I need but if guns will be ban then I think I might need one. I am just confused about diffrent AR configurations. What's better and why? A2, A3, A4, Uppers/Lowers? I haven't shoot since my boys were born so it's been about 8 years I feel so out of touch with what's going on. This will be used for ground hogs and I can give my .22's to the boys and play with my new toy.

What should I be looking for? What is a general price range? I have seen guns between 600 and 2000 and I don't know why?

Like my wife says if the government is banning it we better stock up.

Simple Pleasures Farm

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
It refers to the style of upper

A2 fixed carry handle
A3 flat top with detachable carry handle
A4 flat top

They mark them on the lower but since the uppers and lowers can be easily switched out, I never saw the point of that.

I don't think there will be any widespread banning of guns anytime soon; however, the assault weapons restrictions may well get revived. That shouldn't affect you buying an AR unless you want a flash suppressor (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that).

I'm sure others that are more familiar with AR specifics can give you a stronger opinion, and you should listen to them more so than me. However, for my money:

A2 Fixed upper - Windage and elevation adjustments. The AR15 just isn't a gun I'm likely to add a scope or such things too, and for some reason, maybe naivety, I just trust the fixed upper more.

16" Lightweight Barrel - I don't feel a need for a heavier or longer barrel. I'm not likely to shot it long enough or fast enough to worry about the barrel heating up and it's not the weapon I would use when I need long range accuracy.

Like I said, others will have stronger and better opinions on ARs in specific.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Be worried about:

Anything with a pistol grip
"High" mag capacity
flash supressor
collapsable stock

to start that was what mostly was affected by the last AWB

And DO be worried about your ability to purchase AR-15's at all in the future. With all three branches (D) controlled there isn't going to be much resistance.
If it "looks" scary they'll try to ban it.

Be worried about:

Anything with a pistol grip
"High" mag capacity
flash supressor
collapsable stock

to start that was what mostly was affected by the last AWB

That's certainly all true.

And DO be worried about your ability to purchase AR-15's at all in the future. With all three branches (D) controlled there isn't going to be much resistance.
If it "looks" scary they'll try to ban it.

I sure hope you're wrong about this but concede you may not be. I hope Barack takes Bill Clinton's advice on this issue - I'm pretty sure I heard him acknowledge after the fact that the Assault Weapons Ban was a mistake, in that its passage played a large role in the Dems losing control of congress.

SPF001

I think I'm straight now. I am looking for an A3 or an A4, Looking online they all seem to be pretty standard and accept the same options as far as scopes and mags go. Any reason to go with a colt over a bushmaster or armalite?

Also who will do a FFL transfer close to St. Mary's?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think I'm straight now. I am looking for an A3 or an A4, Looking online they all seem to be pretty standard and accept the same options as far as scopes and mags go. Any reason to go with a colt over a bushmaster or armalite?

Just remember if you buy now you have to provide name adress etc..

They'll know where it is.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

No, in fact there is no reason IMO to buy anyone of those three, sure they are good guns but you can get more of a value with Rock River or Stag Arms.

Eveything on AR-15's is pretty universal where as one brand will fit another, except for Colt uses smaller pins to connect the lowers to the uppers. So only problem might be if you had a Colt lower and tried pairing it with a different brand upper. I do believe it can be done but I am not sure of the modifications that is required.

AS far as FFL's Nick Cromwell is the cheapest in this area, he charges $40 per transfer, he is in Great Mills.

SPF001

Next on the list of questions

Barrels? steel, stainless steel or chrome lined? Also how many rounds before you need a new upper? 5000, 10000, 20000 rounds??

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Next on the list of questions

Barrels? steel, stainless steel or chrome lined? Also how many rounds before you need a new upper? 5000, 10000, 20000 rounds??

Chromed line is good, but not needed for most shooters unless you plan on putting a 1000 rounds down range a weekend IMHO.

Barrel life depends, I seen people report 10k-20k rounds but I know some guns that have many more rounds through them than that are still "combat accurate"

dustin

UAIOE
Also, another possible threat is the parts count requirement could be changed.

...Cause *everyone* knows how American made firearms are less likely to kill than foreign made ones.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Attachments

• Guncontrolmotivator.jpg
    Guncontrolmotivator.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 79
Yeah, and it didn't work out so well for them when they eventually did try to take them. The problem is, tyranny learned its lesson and now it chooses more subtle paths to where it wants to get.

Big difference this time. While the average citizen can have rifles and pistols, which is pretty much all the British had, the powers that be now have a bit more at their disposal.

Big difference this time. While the average citizen can have rifles and pistols, which is pretty much all the British had, the powers that be now have a bit more at their disposal.

I agree totally - that's a point I've been making to people for a long time.