New Restaurant in Jaspers Building

dgates80

Land of the lost
Ugh, I hate chit like that. I'd rather have something off the food truck than pay that kind of money for edible art, especially when 9 times out of 10 it looks way better than it tastes.

I don't have a problem with a great presentation on a plate BUT: at the same time it cannot detract from either the foods itself nor the "value for money" perception. The food could be awesome and tasty but if I'm still hungry after eating a $18 entree that is presented as a artsy food sculpture, then I end up at the end of the meal kinda pissed. They must never ever forget that ultimately it's about "having dinner".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's just not my cup of tea.

A friend of mine likes those icky restaurants where you have to dress up, they offer you a choice of bottle flat or sparkling water, then they give you a smidgen of food art for $50. I hate those, and I also hate those silly steak houses where you pay $35 for your hunk of meat, then $5-10 for each side dish. The food at those places is usually pretty good but I rail at the nickel and dime concept.

To each their own.

Also, I want to clarify that I wasn't looking at you with my snooty nose up in the air. I was looking at someone else who completely trashed a restaurant that everyone in our party agreed was amazing when we went there.

I mean, my snooty nose might be in the air but not necessarily pointed in your direction.
I find it interesting that so many forumites seem to care how you judge their choices in dining pleasures... it's a common burr in many a thread and I've yet to figure out why your opinion of them is so crucial to their mental well-being....:lol:

sockgirl77

I find it interesting that so many forumites seem to care how you judge their choices in dining pleasures... it's a common burr in many a thread and I've yet to figure out why your opinion of them is so crucial to their mental well-being....:lol:

It is not crucial to my mental well-being. Do you actually think that I give two turds about what anyone's opinion of me is?

lovinmaryland

Bad food is bad food. While I don't roll up in Michelin 5 star places on the regular, me and my wife do eat at a lot of different places. We have been to Vegas several times, and tried many of the chef's restaurants out there. Locally, there is not a ton of creative food. The locally owned places for the most part are seafood houses or glorified diners. That said, we eat all the time at places like the Rex, or Blue Wind, which have some of the funkier local menus. We are in Ocean City a lot and eat at places like Shark on the Harbor, Liquid Assets, and Hooked. If you have been to Salisbury, one of our favorite restaurants is the Evolution Craft Public House. When we travel, I use Yelp, and specifically seek out high rated, unique places.

I did not enjoy Elements because I have Applebee's "You Pick two" tastes. I did not like Elements because their food was poo. Me and my wife badly wanted to like it, and did not like anything we received. The food is a step back from Blue Wind, and quality ingredients or not, the execution is not there.

And if I remember...aren't you like one of the 10 people in the county who think Lenny's has good food?
What did you guys order from Elements?

When did Elements open, mid March? I've learned to never expect anything decent from a new restaurant (if it's not a chain) for at least 3 months, but probably closer to 6. They have to learn the kitchen, potentially hone in on the right ingredients, and of course they have to break in a new staff while at the same time establishing how the restaurant is going to be run (so service can be a disaster). Anyone who writes off a restaurant early could be missing out.

I'm not sure why everyone disagreeing on the food quality has such a hard time understanding this, but I imagine every item on the menu has a different taste/flavor. Depending on the item ordered and the person's taste, you never know what the review will be. If one person ordered chicken and 5 people ordered pork, if they have a bad pork meal but great chicken, you might get 1 good review and 5 bad reviews. That doesn't mean it's a bad place just because a couple of the items aren't great. That's like people who go to Ruddy Duck and say it sucks because they got the entrees. Ruddy is a GREAT restaurant, but you have to get the right stuff. And you can't write it off after one try. Anyone remember how LOUD that place was before they added the sound panels to dampen the noise? Every restaurant has growing pains to work through.

I've never been to Elements so I don't know what the situation is there, but I'd hate for a restaurant with potential to close down quickly because people prematurely judged it and then bashed it online. Hopefully people give the new place in the Jasper's building a chance to work itself out too.
I have to disagree w/ the 3-6 month time period. We've done that w/ plenty of places....Red Oak Bistro to name one....and it wasn't good. I would think w/ the Elements owner previously running a restaurant that they wouldn't need 3-6 months to get the menu, presentation, expediting, service, etc... together.

That being said I will give them a shot. Some of the menu does seem like it would be quite tasty.

Although I have to see Elements, The Rex, and a lot of the other local restaurants need to find out what a real Charcuterie plate is. :doh:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The Mule & Mug

i had a cherry mule to drink (okay, fine, i had two) and monello had a juicer - both were very good except mine won because it came in a proper mule mug, which is something i didn't even know existed.

fyi

a moscow mule, also known as a vodka buck, is a buck made with a high quality vodka, a spicy ginger beer, and lime juice, garnished with a slice or wedge of lime. It is usually served in a copper mug. The cocktail became popular during the vodka craze in the united states during the 1950s. The name refers to the popular perception of vodka as a russian product. Originated in tampa.

The mule was born in manhattan but "stalled" on the west coast for the duration. The birthplace of "little moscow" was in new york's chatham hotel. That was back in 1941 when the first carload of jack morgan's #### 'n' bull ginger beer was railing over the plains to give new yorkers a happy surprise…

the moscow mule is almost always served in a copper mug. The popularity of serving the moscow mule in a copper mug has carried through to present day, primarily due to tradition and aesthetic reasons.

lovinmaryland

What is your idea of a real charcuterie plate?

Usually a soft, semi hard, hard, and a blue cheese (I especially enjoy a selection to choose from of those types of cheese's) along w/ a selection of cured meats , pate, dried fruits, nuts, occasionally honey, membrillo or a mostarda, and toast points :shrug:

This is a charcuterie I ordered from Blue Jacket.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 175

lovinmaryland

Yum! Now, why didn't you like the plate at Elements? Just not enough stuff?

I haven't gone to Elements yet. But when I go I will order their charcuterie...If a place has one I most always order it. Sometimes I get that as my meal :lol:

When I was researching them on yelp I came across a picture and it didn't have meat/pate other than chorizo. The Rex has their version of a charcuterie that I've had and it sucks. Its cheese you'd get at wal mart same w/ their meats its like slices of hickory farms salami...now not saying I don't enjoy that but when I'm paying $15 I expect something of a little bit better quality.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I was researching them on yelp I came across a picture and it didn't have meat/pate other than chorizo.

The plate is not what you'd call "abundant", so you might want to go ahead and skip that when ordering. There was chorizo, maybe 5 or 6 cheeses, small amounts of fresh and dried fruit, and roasted red peppers, along with the bread. Everything was very good and we ended up bringing some of it home, but it's not an amazing display of snackies.

lovinmaryland

The plate is not what you'd call "abundant", so you might want to go ahead and skip that when ordering. There was chorizo, maybe 5 or 6 cheeses, small amounts of fresh and dried fruit, and roasted red peppers, along with the bread. Everything was very good and we ended up bringing some of it home, but it's not an amazing display of snackies.

How were the duck fat fries? I[m soooo getting those :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
We're going there tonight for dinner and looking forward to trying it. :yay:

Let me know how you like it. I had to try the Old Fashioned since I'd seen it ordered so many times on Mad Men. :lol: The chicken pesto sandwich is delicious, so is the El Cubano.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I have those coppermugs..and I love a good mule. The copper just gets so cold..makes it taste better ..or something.

I haven't gone to Elements yet. But when I go I will order their charcuterie...If a place has one I most always order it. Sometimes I get that as my meal :lol:

When I was researching them on yelp I came across a picture and it didn't have meat/pate other than chorizo. The Rex has their version of a charcuterie that I've had and it sucks. Its cheese you'd get at wal mart same w/ their meats its like slices of hickory farms salami...now not saying I don't enjoy that but when I'm paying $15 I expect something of a little bit better quality.

The cheese plat at café des artistes is DELICIOUS. seriously good. That and the pate and im so full I don't eat my meal.