New Restaurant?

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
LOL they are called Hypermarts and they became real popular in the late 80's and early 90's. They were the beginnings of the "super" walmart that we see now, but much bigger. Most of them have closed now but there are still a few around. They were mainly built in large metroplex areas in Texas. It was a BIG thing back when the first one opened in Arlington Texas back in the late 80's. Everyone was amazed by it...Not sure why, guess by how big it was.

There were only 4 of them. Two in Texas, one in Kansas City, Missouri and one in Topeka, KS. I went to the grand opening of the Topeka store and Sam Walton was there. He had nothing to say about it other than he had been talked into it and regretted it. Way to big...

Last edited:
But do they have this?

http://www.authenticmex.com/restaurants//images/rsgallery/original/DSC01764.jpg

I laugh every time one of these places opens up in this area an says it offers Authentic Meixcan food... unless you are from the US SW or So Cal you wouldn't have a clue what authentic was, we've all grown up with Taco Bell, and Chi Chi's (or worse).

I have a picture almost exactly like (with the sombrero) that when my coworkers ambushed me with the waiters singing a happy birthday song at Monterey. It wasn't my birthday. :ohwell:

somdfunguy

not impressed
I have a picture almost exactly like (with the sombrero) that when my coworkers ambushed me with the waiters singing a happy birthday song at Monterey. It wasn't my birthday. :ohwell:

Think of all the people who had that sombrero on before you. Then think how little they probably change their sheets. Connect the dots yet?

If I were you I'd shave my head to be certain.

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
There were only 4 of them. Two in Texas, one in Kansas City, Missouri and one in Topeka, KS. I went to the grand opening of the Topeka store and Sam Walton was there. He had nothing to say about it other than he had been talked into it and regretted it. Way to big...

They had four in the DFW area alone... Garland, Arlington, Denton and I can't remember where the other one was...Two of them have closed and the two in Arlington and Garland are still open.

They were way to big! It was so hard to shop in there because you had to walk half a mile just to get across to the other side. LOL Me and a couple of friends used to go in there during the summer to walk and get our exercise.

SoccerFan

They had four in the DFW area alone... Garland, Arlington, Denton and I can't remember where the other one was...Two of them have closed and the two in Arlington and Garland are still open.

They were way to big! It was so hard to shop in there because you had to walk half a mile just to get across to the other side. LOL Me and a couple of friends used to go in there during the summer to walk and get our exercise.

At one time the the store in the Saginaw, TX area (NW of Fort Worth) was supposed to be one of the largest Wal-Marts in the nation.

Buzzlightyear3

Mexican restaurant

I asked someone at La Quinta what was going in the building out front. It is a Mexican restaurant. Makes sense.

Kinda sad:( Local folks opened up Coco Cantina just down the street, and here comes another Mexican place. Same with yogurt - locals opened a mom and pop yogurt shop in Wildewood, now Sweet Frogs is coming to town. Yay for free enterprise, but it is sad when small business owners put all they have into a business and seem to inevitably lose it to larger chains or expansions.

Oh well, I was hoping for something else, but best of luck to yet another La Tolteca in southern MD.

keekee

What's Up?

For a while they were working on the place, but I haven't seen any action there for months!

MarieB

Remember Chi Chi's? My sister did that to me there and I still have that photo. I was pissed, but they all to a good laugh

BernieP

Resident PIA
Oh well, I was hoping for something else, but best of luck to yet another La Tolteca in southern MD.

Ate at La Tolteca recently... thought I was at El Cerro Montery Cafe. Same slop, different day.

I use slop in the most generous of terms.

Whole heartly agree, something different, something made fresh.

But we are getting what we ask for, quick, inexpensive and large portions.