New to Maryland

AndyMarquisLIVE

:howdy: My family and I just moved to Drayden from Nashville, TN a couple of weeks ago. I found this website and thought it may be helpful as I am still getting used to the area and haven't really met anyone yet. :buddies:
Welcome to Southern Maryland! :howdy:

Still in the good ol' South side of the U.S.

Much like Nashville, this area is rich in heritage and tradition (minus Waldorf and La Plata. If you're into shopping and stuff, Waldorf's the hot spot. If not, you'll enjoy St. Mary's County.

Not much here, we've got a baseball stadium in Waldorf. Maryland International Raceway, on 234 in St. Mary's County, is the undisputed world's fastest drag strip. That track replaced the Aquasco Speedway in Aquasco, MD. (in Prince George's County). Not much remains of that facility, just a broken road and a lot of trees.

Waldorf is the third largest city on the great state of Maryland, only behind Baltimore and Annapolis. Traffic around here sucks. Our roads are only built to support 20,000 people and we have more than 100,000 on them (Virginia folks trying to get to D.C.), so be prepared for that.

St. Mary's County is beautiful. Nothing more refreshing than driving through the Amish district. You'll really like it out there.

Enjoy SOMD.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Just a little more recent history

On April 28, 2002, an F5 (F4 on the old scale) tore through the heart of La Plata, MD. 3 people lost their lives in that tragedy and many more lost their homes and businesses. La Plata has come back, but unfortanently, it's not the same. No longer does it feel like it did when we moved here.

The tornado made national news. Search for La Plata Tornado on YouTube and you'll see an NBC News report on the tragedy.

Oddly enough, an F4 tornado killed 16 people in La Plata in 1926, almost on the same path.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Waldorf is the third largest city on the great state of Maryland, only behind Baltimore and Annapolis. Traffic around here sucks. Our roads are only built to support 20,000 people and we have more than 100,000 on them (Virginia folks trying to get to D.C.), so be prepared for that.
You don't get out much...Annapolis isn't even in the top 20. And if you limit the list to incorporated towns, it's only number 7.

Unfortunately, you are right that the population of Waldorf isn't much smaller than Annapolis. :ohwell:

bcp

In My Opinion
you are right that the population of Waldorf isn't much smaller than Annapolis. :ohwell:
I think that you will find that the population is pretty much the same size within given standards all around the world.
well, except maybe china because they are really really short.. but then if you think about it there are like 30 billion of them, so maybe they are in the low end of normal.

SShewbert

What love is all about
Howdy

Hi!!!:howdy: Welcome to the forums. I have lived in Maryland my whole life except for 3 years I spent in Southern Missouri. I just moved back to SoMD last October. Welcome and have fun.....

HappyCats

Welcome to Southern Maryland! :howdy:

Not much here, we've got a baseball stadium in Waldorf. Maryland International Raceway, on 234 in St. Mary's County, is the undisputed world's fastest drag strip. That track replaced the Aquasco Speedway in Aquasco, MD. (in Prince George's County). Not much remains of that facility, just a broken road and a lot of trees.

Enjoy SOMD.

Don't forget about Potomac Speedway on rt. 234! Great high banked Late model dirt track racin' every Friday nite in the spring and summer!