New to oil heat! HELP!

smilin

BOXER NATION
We have a 2500 sq ft house with a programmable thermostat set at 60, 9 pm to 530 am. 530 - 900 am it's cranking at 65. 900 - 400 - 59 degrees then back to 65 until 900pm. This dropped my oil consumption by a lot. My two kids have grown up in this 50 y/o house for the last 11 years. We have used around 300 gallons/year of oil for the last three years. Serviced every year, changed the filters regularly. Like somebody pointed; out sweats, slippers or sweaters are a lot cheaper than heat.
I think it's a combination of air leaks, heat cranked up too high or when you don't need it.

Last edited:

butterfly08

I have oil heat and so far this year we've used about 145 gallons. We always keep the heat at 65. (Well sometimes I sneak it up to 70 when I'm too cold.) But this is only my 2nd year with oil heat, so I'm still getting used to it.

bohman

Definitely look into getting the furnace serviced, and find out how old it is and how long since it was last serviced. An oil furnace really should have a tune-up/inspection once a year (in my opinion). They'll clean and adjust the nozzles, and clean the heat exchanger, and change the fuel filter. An oil furnace will get dirty and start to lose efficiency if you ignore it.

I'm not sure how you handle that with a rental, but it's worth asking the landlord.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I was wondering if tanks could leak. We've put plastic on all the windows, checked the doors for leaks, hubby says the attic is well insulated and he's going to change the filter just to be sure. He's going to call our landlord and see what they say, I just didnt want to go into it being completely naive.

Floor rugs help also for feeling warm and helping to insulate cold wood floors...

I was wondering if tanks could leak. We've put plastic on all the windows, checked the doors for leaks, hubby says the attic is well insulated and he's going to change the filter just to be sure. He's going to call our landlord and see what they say, I just didnt want to go into it being completely naive.

Definitely look into getting the furnace serviced, and find out how old it is and how long since it was last serviced. An oil furnace really should have a tune-up/inspection once a year (in my opinion). They'll clean and adjust the nozzles, and clean the heat exchanger, and change the fuel filter. An oil furnace will get dirty and start to lose efficiency if you ignore it.

I'm not sure how you handle that with a rental, but it's worth asking the landlord.

I have used a lot of oil this last December also, it's been cold, plus widy. I change my filter about once a month. If you don't get good air flow your furnace will run almost all the time and the air will not feel very warm coming out of the vents.

poster

We're renting a home that is oil heated and this is the first time that my husband and I have ever had to deal with it. We filled our tank up November 23rd, 282 gallons (about 36 inches deep) and now apparently we only have about 12 inches left in the tank! We keep the thermostat at 69-70 when we're not home and 73 when we are. I know people have told us to turn it down more, but with a 3 year old, I just cant.

So my question is that right?? Does it really only last 3 months? We paid over $800 to fill it! I cant afford to fill it again. Is it normal? We dont know anything about it.

Thanks for any advice!

We keep ours at 68 and stay dressed for winter, socks, slippers, long pants and shirts. I also close off extra rooms, there's no need to heat them.

I don't understand what the 3yr old has to do with it. When the weather turns warm and its 65-68 and sunny out you're gonna let'em go out and play so why can't your house be 68? Too high a heat, esp. oil because its very dry, is not good. Doesn't everyone have stuffy heads in the morning?

smilin

BOXER NATION
After reading this thread I tried to figure a comparison number out that would help figure usage.
I figured the previous three years I used about 3 gals/day. THIS year, so far I have used
3.34/day. Doesn't sound like much but definitely is adding up.
I believe most of the time lease agreements have a clause which requires the tenant to maintain the furnace, that of course depends on the lease. If so, do it. Furnaces get dirty very quickly and lose efficiency rapidly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
we live in a 100 year old house with oil heat. What you are saying is about right and actually your usage is a bit low for the temps that you are keeping your house at. We keep our thermostat at 60 at night & when we are at work, and at 70 when we are here. .

x2. 2600 sf 150 yo house here, with upgraded windows, exterior sheathing, insulation etc and newish oil system but ...its still a 150 yo house at the end of the day. Stat is 68 during the day and 60 at night (programmable stat). Current burn is between 150-200 gallons per month, or a tank full every two months during winter months. During that nasty cold snap last winter, went through over half a tank in a month.

And I boost it with a wood stove when I'm in the house, evenings and weekends mostly.

Edit/correction: my maffs were bad. I burn a tank full every two months or so but its only a 250-gallon tank. Sheesh..so that would be 100-125 gallons per month.

Last edited:
S

stardog770

We're renting a home that is oil heated and this is the first time that my husband and I have ever had to deal with it. We filled our tank up November 23rd, 282 gallons (about 36 inches deep) and now apparently we only have about 12 inches left in the tank! We keep the thermostat at 69-70 when we're not home and 73 when we are. I know people have told us to turn it down more, but with a 3 year old, I just cant.

So my question is that right?? Does it really only last 3 months? We paid over $800 to fill it! I cant afford to fill it again. Is it normal? We dont know anything about it.

Thanks for any advice!

I"d say thats about right.We have had alot of cold days..and wind.Just remember the lower you keep the thermostat, the colder your house is going to be.And the furnance will have to run longer to heat the house up.

danny3527

Have it serviced. He could check to see if the correct nozzle is in it. Might be able to go a little lower on gallons per hr.. So far it's been a cold winter so whether you have oil/gas or heat pump your feeling it in your wallet.

libby

The three y/o is really not a factor. We're working to keep our oil consumption down and I have a 3y/o and a nursing 8mo.old. Ever tried lifting your shirt and having those ice cold hands up your shirt? Yep, it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's got to be done in order to stay within the budget.
We bundle up.
Also, I've found that since I started exercising at home, I'm so hot at the end that I'm happy to keep the heat down. Double bonus with that!

Beccasmom1012

You know it does depend on the nozzle that is in the furnace too.I have seen some that can burn over a gallon an hour.Also how the home is insulated the age of the furnace.Whether it is clean or not. Lots of soot clogs the furnace and basically starves it therefore burning more oil.There are alot of factors not just always turn the thermostat down.I have all electric but I would not want my heat down below 70 especially with little ones. My husband does hvac-r work and I have seen people having to fill their tank within less than 3 months time.You might want to have the landlord get someone licensed to check your unit

smilin

BOXER NATION
x2. 2600 sf 150 yo house here, with upgraded windows, exterior sheathing, insulation etc and newish oil system but ...its still a 150 yo house at the end of the day. Stat is 68 during the day and 60 at night (programmable stat). Current burn is between 150-200 gallons per month, or a tank full every two months during winter months. During that nasty cold snap last winter, went through over half a tank in a month.

And I boost it with a wood stove when I'm in the house, evenings and weekends mostly.

Edit/correction: my maffs were bad. I burn a tank full every two months or so but its only a 250-gallon tank. Sheesh..so that would be 100-125 gallons per month.

Interesting thing was pointed out by an oil tech when he was servicing our furnace. Older homes have better 'heat soak' due to the plaster or cement board walls, as opposed to drywall. They retain the heat better.
It is a fallacy to think that a furnace works more to bring a house up to temperature as opposed to maintaining a high heat setting all the time.
Look it up.
I saw that for every degree you lower your thermostat you save 'X' amount of oil consumption (can't remember the exact number, but it was impressive).
The only thing at the end of the day that you can control (anytime) is
the temperature you are comfortable paying for...

Baileys and coffee in a warm bar....
:buddies:

sparkyaclown

Definitely agree with everyone else here who has said it. Sounds like you need it serviced. An oil furnace should be able to quickly bring the temperature up. In my old house I had oil heat and you had to perform regular maintenance on the nozzles and filters to keep it running at peak.

hooknline

this thread is a couple weeks old although been away. You should have your furnace serviced if you are not sure when it was serviced last. Then you have a "starting point" for future reference in keeping your tune up current. As others said you should have it tuned once a year. If you decide not to have it tuned on regular yearly basis, at least replace your air filter monthly (should be doing this regardless) for standard filters. You need proper airflow across your heat exchanger to transfer heat into your home. Several things occur when the tune up is out dated. The oil filter and nozzle begin to load with debris and will drop your oil pump pressure a little which in turn causes your air/fuel ratio to change. Pump pressure is critical for proper oil drop atomization with the combustion air. The oil nozzle has a very small screen or stone filter which will begin to clog once the main oil filter begins to fully load with crud. If you have to much combustion air, your heat is going out of the flue. Most standard oil burners will produce a flue/chimney temperature around 350-575 degrees F net. When you add more combustion air, it will push that hot flue exhaust out of your furnace faster than your heat exchanger can absorb the heat of combustion and in turn dropping your supply duct/register temperatures. There is a critical ratio of fuel/air during combustion that must be maintained to get the most heat out of every gallon of fuel oil. A simple way to understand what I am talking about is this. One Gallon of fuel oil when burned properly will produce right around 144,000 BTUs (British thermal units). If you are using a .50 GPH (Gallons per hour) oil nozzle, you are introducing 72,000 BTUs to your combustion chamber in theory. A .75GPH oil nozzle will produce 108,000 BTUs in theory (with perfect combustion). If your furnace was serviced in the past by non-qualified persons and they just thrown in whatever nozzle was available, your furnace would be operating outside of what it was designed throwing your money out the window. Most residential standard air to air oil furnace would use a nozzle around the .75GPH range (3/4 gallons per hour or 108,000 BTUs introduced to your heat exchanger to be absorbed. Some larger homes would run larger nozzles although the point I am making is you must operate within the design of the manufacturer of both the oil burner and the furnace together. Outside of that design and your wasting money. Another point to make for our geographic area is that oil burner homes that utilize an above ground oil tank (275 Gallon usually) will have their oil burner oil pump pressure change to lower pressures on extremely cold days due to the oil itself inside the oil tank getting thicker and harder to move through the lines and therefore change the air/fuel ration. It is a good idea to add some kerosine (never add gasoline) to your oil tank on very cold months or ask your oil burner tech to sell you an additive that the trade uses for this purpose. As others mentioned, A programable thermostat with adaptive recovery is a must for your house as explained by your schedule and lifestyle. Let that temperature drop back to 50 0r 60 degrees while everyone is gone. It sounds like because your house takes a long time to heat back up after thermostat setback with oil heat, you either have a burner/furnace not set up properly or the furnace itself is not sized for home properly. When you make a choice on a company, make sure it is a "oil Burner Technician" and that individual is qualified for that type of system. Ask them questions while they work. You can get alot of tips from your tech while they work. Most don't mind talking while they work. A quick way to get a very rough idea about your furnace operation is get a simple accurate thermometer and place down inside your register and allow furnace to operate around 15 minutes. You should be seeing 135-155 degrees depending on ductwork/furnace design. A boiler is completely different. If it is air to air type of furnace, the above temps should give you a very rough idea. If you are only seeing around 100-120 degrees you are operating outside the specs. If you are seeing above 160 degrees, you are going to ruin your furnace heat exchanger in time (alot of gross oversized oil nozzles cause this overheat). The most important tip is to make sure you have minimum of one carbon monoxide alarm that is within 5 years old (check the date on the back of the alarm for an expiration). Carbon Monoxide will kill you and your family in silence. I think it is best to have at least two in the home for insurance. You will be paying $100-150 for a tune up although if completed by a qualified oil burner tech, you will get that paid back to you through efficient operation this same year.:buddies:

Blister

I just hugged my heat pump. Tstat happily set @ 74 and comfy. Watching the TV in shorts and a T shirt.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Has the unit been serviced for winter? I would also suggest having the ductwork inspected for rust, holes and or gaps that you may be losing heat from.

Winterize the house with plastic wrap and caulk prior to when winter starts, or when it warms up enough for the use of the caulk in obvious places. The plastic wrap around older windows will help as well.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I just hugged my heat pump. Tstat happily set @ 74 and comfy. Watching the TV in shorts and a T shirt.

I have two heat pumps one for each side of the house...Old side vs new side...just got a new pellet stove can't wait..