New Towing Rules?

ElliesMom

SO a frind of mine called today and told me the following:
All trailers (including horse) will require the driver to have a Class A liscence.

I was told this is a new MD law that will be effective in March.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I checked at the MVA and was quoted a trailer with less than 10,000 GVWR and or a combined truck and trailer weight more than 26,000 required a Class A.

Thanks in advance.

kbennett

All trailers (including horse) will require the driver to have a Class A liscence.

I checked at the MVA and was quoted a trailer with less than 10,000 GVWR and or a combined truck and trailer weight more than 26,000 required a Class A.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder how this will effect out of state residents AKA those in the military or here for school.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Can you quote this from somewhere? My big trailer is 34' long and I pull it with a 1 ton dually...

Robin

Thanks in advance.

dont see it on their website
Recreational Vehicle Information

Recreational Vehicle Information
Motor vehicles differ greatly in size and complexity. A motorhome/recreational vehicle provides temporary living quarters for recreational use and is exempt for requiring a commercial driver’s license in Maryland. Please note: Motorhomes/recreational vehicles can be different weight classes. Your license must reflect either the appropriate weight class for the vehicle you are operating or must have the appropriate motorhome/recreational vehicle restriction code noted on your license.

Knowledge and skills testing are required to demonstrate your ability to safely operate these large vehicles on our highways. In order to assess those skills and ensure that the driver can safely operate the vehicle, the driver must obtain a non-commercial learner’s instructional permit of the appropriate class. Successfully completing the required knowledge and vision tests is required.

Again, you must have the appropriate non-commercial class license to operate a motorhome/recreational vehicle. Please refer to the Maryland Driver’s Handbook and the Motorhome/Recreational Vehicle Guide for study materials to assist you in obtaining the appropriate license.

Classes of License:

If you currently hold one of these classes of licenses you are not required to obtain the motorhome/recreational vehicle restriction for the same class.

A Class “A” non-commercial license driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive combinations of Class F (tractor) and Class G trailer (over 10,000 lbs.) vehicles (GCWR 26,001 lbs.) and any vehicle that a non-commercial Class B driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Commercial Motor Vehicles; and
Motorcycles.
A Class “B” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any single vehicle GVWR 26,001 pounds or more. Allows pulling a trailer under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR). Any vehicle that a non-commercial Class C driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Motorcycles.
A Class “C” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, except:

Motorcycles.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Thanks in advance.
You're wacko.

ElliesMom

It was word of mouth, but I will re contact the originator and see where her husband (A driver) got his info.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it, basically trying to verify authenticity.

I really dont want to be caught by surprise come spring if this is truly coming down.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
It was word of mouth, but I will re contact the originator and see where her husband (A driver) got his info.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it, basically trying to verify authenticity.

I really dont want to be caught by surprise come spring if this is truly coming down.
What you said in your first post would mean that everyone that tows any trailer needs a class A and that's just simply not true.
Common sense people.

highnote

I doubt this is really going to happen (didnt find any info online supporting it either). It would mean even those people with tiny utility trailers will be required to get a class A license. Not going to happen.

ElliesMom

I doubt this is really going to happen (didnt find any info online supporting it either). It would mean even those people with tiny utility trailers will be required to get a class A license. Not going to happen.

Thats exactly why I checked here....the folks here are pretty knowledgeable.
Thats also why I cehcked at the MVA.
Now word about it from the man I spoke to at the MVA.
Double/ Triple checking doesnt hurt.

It would be really stupid 90% of the time for ANYONE who tows to have a class A. Except for those cases where people just cant drive any trailer.

Last edited: