New virus is a 'threat to the entire world'

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So, I'm reading the article, it's been out for over a year and only 27 people have died worldwide so far. It also says it is hard to transmit from human to human.

Unlike SARS which sickened more than 8,000 people in 2003 and killed 773 worldwide, this new coronavirus does not spread easily between humans -- at least not yet.

So far only 49 cases of MERS have been reported, including 27 deaths. Most of those were older men with other health problems. And most contracted the virus in the Middle East: Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Qatar.

I don't think I'm going to worry about this one unless something really major develops.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Yeah, I know of a friend that thinks he had it. He was sick for TWO months!! He is normally in very good health. He lost 30 pounds. He told me several times he thought he was going to die. They claim it has a 50% mortality rate. This is unusually high for any virus. I suspect we will have to watch this one carefully. I am sorry a culture wasn't taken to confirm, or deny whether or not he had it. He did have ALL of the symptoms according to the CDC and the WHO web site. I think we already have cases of it in the United States. Just nothing confirmed yet. I suspect it won't be "confirmed" until someone dies from it. It will be confirmed when they do an autopsy of someone.

New SARS-like virus is a 'threat to the entire world' - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A new SARS-like virus recently found in humans is "a threat to the entire world," according to the director-general of the United Nations' World Health Organization.

The so-called novel coronavirus "is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself," Margaret Chan said Monday in her closing remarks at the 66th World Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.

The world needs to pull together its resources to properly tackle the virus which, Chan said, is her "greatest concern" at present.

"We understand too little about this virus when viewed against the magnitude of its potential threat," she said, and more information is needed "quickly" and "urgently."

"We do not know where the virus hides in nature. We do not know how people are getting infected. Until we answer these questions, we are empty-handed when it comes to prevention. These are alarm bells. And we must respond," she said.

royhobie

hobieflyer
I read the article too. It's actually an old article. The web site of CDC and WHO has the most up to date info on this and any other "known" virus and bacterium.