New weapon

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
in my bag. TaylorMade R580XD driver. I found it @ somd.com classifieds (where's my check?) after perusing eBay. I picked it up last night for a mere pittance and I think I think I got the better end of the deal. I hit some balls into the net @ home and I cannot see how I could mis hit this thing. (I'm sure I can find out later) So, it's off to the range this afternoon to see what damage I can do. :yahoo: :dance:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can honestly say...

...I have never acquired a new stick that I didn't think was going to make a significant difference in my score.

Significant.

kom526

I hit the new club today and I am really happy with this little purchase. Funny thing though, it came with a fade, I normally hit a draw. I really need to find out if my swing speed calls for a stiffer shaft. R flex on this thing now.

250-275+ on my drives BUT I was at a driving range and you never know how accurate the markers are. The confidence this thing instills in me at address is unbelieveable and sometimes that can be the difference maker. I'll find out on Sunday.

Nupe2

kom526 said:
I hit the new club today and I am really happy with this little purchase. Funny thing though, it came with a fade, I normally hit a draw. I really need to find out if my swing speed calls for a stiffer shaft. R flex on this thing now.

250-275+ on my drives BUT I was at a driving range and you never know how accurate the markers are. The confidence this thing instills in me at address is unbelieveable and sometimes that can be the difference maker. I'll find out on Sunday.

Good luck with the new driver. I have a Ping G2 with a Grafalloy R flex that tends to fade as well. If you changed shafts what would you go with?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I have a biggest bertha driver with an X Flex shaft.... I like it.. when I am doing good (for me) I can average 250-300yrds off the tee....

What I need though is a 3wood, anyone know of a good one, that aint going to cost me an arm and a leg..??

kom526

I read an article somewhere recently (Golf Magazine I think) that said if you are using the wrong shaft flex for your swing speed then it will definitely affect your ball flight. The problem is that I cannot remember if it is too much flex = fade/slice or too stiff = draw/hook. My mission is to find out today. I was compensating by closing the face a bit, but that is going to take distance away in the end.:blahblah: I'm too much of a novice when it comes to graphite shaft selection. I have been all steel until I got this stick.

SBK-Try going to 2Golf in Waldorf (behind Best Buy) and swinging something in there. They do a good business w/ used clubs and you may find something in there. Also, they do 3 day demos w/ clubs. You give them a credit card # and you get to demo a club @ the range on the course etc. Find something you like then go to eBay. :yay: :lmao:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You got that right...

kom526 said:

Also, if the fade is nominal, say 5-10 yards and you can take a nice cut at it, I suggest staying with the shaft you have. 250-275 is plenty long and a fade is way more reliable than a draw. You gotta seriuously mess up to turn a fade into a slice, just make a bad swing, but a draw becomes a nasty, running hook with little effort. You gotta stay lose with a hook and when you're trying to hit it a bit farther, well, we al know what happens. You may find that you can be a bit more aggresive, swing after swing, with the fade.

In any event, I love to hear whenever someone has as leg up on this damn game.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
kom526 said:
SBK-Try going to 2Golf in Waldorf (behind Best Buy) and swinging something in there. They do a good business w/ used clubs and you may find something in there. Also, they do 3 day demos w/ clubs. You give them a credit card # and you get to demo a club @ the range on the course etc. Find something you like then go to eBay. :yay: :lmao:

2Golf, thats like a 45 minute drive just to get a demo club.. haha, how about Mikes Golf in Wildwood (5-10 minute drive) haha, do you recommend them at all??

Nupe2

Softballkid said:
2Golf, thats like a 45 minute drive just to get a demo club.. haha, how about Mikes Golf in Wildwood (5-10 minute drive) haha, do you recommend them at all??

I bought a set of Cobra Irons there and a Titlelist wedge. They are pretty reasonable/comparable to 2Golf in pricing. I don't think they offer the same course demo opportuntity but you could check with them and ask.

kom526

I work in White Plains so I don't think when I post stuff like that. Sorry. Nupe pretty much summed it up about the demo club thing and Mike's. Yes, I would recommend Mike's, I am all for supporting local businesses. Like I said, I work up the road and 2Golf is on my way (sort of) so i just stop in there.

Nupe-Thanks for the info on the shaft thing. Maybe I'll swing by Mike's today and see if they can check my swing speed out, I know I'm jerky at the top so...

Larry-I had to do something about getting off the box. I played last week w/ the bruiser brothers (my BIL and his buddy) and was embarassed to be on the course. The buddy almost drove #10 @ Breton Bay,(par 4 350 + yds) from the blues. While I did not even have a driver in my bag. I had ZERO confidence in my ability to swing a wood. While I may never hit 350 just being able to hit decent is enough for now. :yay:

Nupe2

Mike's will let you demo the clubs in the store. They just tape the club for you to prevent scuff marks. Very nice people. :yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Right, I like my Tight Lies, there not the best, but with how often I do play golf, even if I used Tiger's clubs, I wouldnt do any better, Im a 90's-low 100's shooter, never serious, just out for fun....

But, I would like to have a 3wood for when I shank it off the tee.. haha...

So Ill have to stop by Mikes eventually and check out some 3woods

Pete

Repete
Otter and I went to the Golf Expo at Dulles. I picked up a 9 degree Cobra SZ460 with a stiff shaft.

I read the article and found that I am the oposite, I slice regular shaft clubs and get too much loft. with the Cobra I still get too much loft for my liking but not near what I got before.

The Cobra feels great especially since i was hitting Tight Lies knockoffs for 5 years. It feels like I am swinging a ham at the end of a stick.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Pete said:
Otter and I went to the Golf Expo at Dulles. I picked up a 9 degree Cobra SZ460 with a stiff shaft.

I read the article and found that I am the oposite, I slice regular shaft clubs and get too much loft. with the Cobra I still get too much loft for my liking but not near what I got before.

The Cobra feels great especially since i was hitting Tight Lies knockoffs for 5 years. It feels like I am swinging a ham at the end of a stick.

:tantrum: you calling my Tight Lies knock offs :boxing:

kom526

Softballkid said:
Right, I like my Tight Lies, there not the best, but with how often I do play golf, even if I used Tiger's clubs, I wouldnt do any better, Im a 90's-low 100's shooter, never serious, just out for fun....

But, I would like to have a 3wood for when I shank it off the tee.. haha...

So Ill have to stop by Mikes eventually and check out some 3woods
It doesn't matter if your clubs are the best as long as you like them and can play them.
"just out for fun..." Isn't that what it is all about anyway?

If you are comfortable w/ your driver, try to get a 3w with the same head shape. I heard from one of my 1 hour lesson teachers ( :lmao: ) that it helps in the brain housing group.