Next time you change your smoke alarm batteries

Tech

Why would I need long lasting batteries, my smoke alarms are hard wired. Comes down to the question. What is the chance that a fire will occur at a time of a power outage? And when there is an outage, how many times are you awake anyway?

These may be good for stand alone detectors. Battery dead, get a new detector because the detecting part is good for about ten years.

ZARA

I really don't think a ten year battery would have helped much...

A new Maryland law approved by Gov. Martin O’Malley takes effect July 1. It requires battery-operated smoke alarms in homes have batteries that last ten years. State fire officials hope the new technology and the new law will save lives.

Without a smoke alarm or working smoke alarm, firefighters warn house fires are often deadly. That was the case in February when a house fire devastated a Glenarden family.

“Four people died in that home, the Price family,” says Marc Bashoor, Prince George’s County fire chief. “We did not find one smoke alarm in that home.”

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I really don't think a ten year battery would have helped much...

Step by step, Zara. Soon there'll be a Nanny bill to require smoke alarms in all homes. It takes time to take over all the people's rights without raising an alarm.

Pete

Repete
Completely retarded laws made by reactionary know-it-all elitist jack wagons that serve no other purpose than to reenforce their notions of superiority.

Tell me all wise and knowing Maryland Legislators, how well does a 10 year battery work in a smoke detector when it is not even installed? Or how does a 10 year battery prevent a 19 year old VFD member from rushing into a house?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
When our kitchen caught fire back in 2000, the smoke detectors didn't even sound until we had put out the fire with extinguishers. Our Dalmatian alerted us.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
So I guess they are going to come inspect everyones house, open all the smoke detectors and fine you if you have the wrong batteries.

Pete

Repete
So I guess they are going to come inspect everyones house, open all the smoke detectors and fine you if you have the wrong batteries.

And insurance companies will start disallowing claims because after a fire they discovered a 9 volt Duracell in the basement smoke detector.

John Z

if you will
a "lifetime" battery is an intruiging idea, and I guess it would save money in the long run (compared to the 2x/year routine we've been encouraged to do). Then my Mommo won't get to nag me at the start and end of DST about replacing my smoke detector batteries.

ZARA

When our kitchen caught fire back in 2000, the smoke detectors didn't even sound until we had put out the fire with extinguishers. Our Dalmatian alerted us.

I guess I'm lucky...
I have 8 in my house and when one goes off THEY ALL F GO OFF. Husband is flying up screaming what's happening, kid is running down the stairs yelling, cats fly to all four corners of the house desperately trying to break through the walls to get out...

And I'm walking around turning on the AC units and the ceiling fans because the whole reason the alarm went off to begin with is because of the heat from my oven!! OMG!!!

Although this is better than my old house where the alarm was placed directly outside my son's bathroom and every time he took a shower and then opened the door...all four of the alarms would go off. I actually had to tell my son to keep the inside fan on and not open the door until the steam was gone.

Tech

This going back 40 years, back then when smoke alarms first came out, they had a special battery that was easily replaced and cost about $50. When detector started using standard batteries the price drop and their use went up. I can get a new hard wired for the house with a light at about $10.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I wonder if CO2 detectors are included in the bill.

AlGore is the CO2 detector in this country.

I think you mean CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors rather that CO2 (Carbon Dioxide - a natural product of respiration but villified by AlGore and other Catastrophic Anthrogenic Global Warming idiots)