NFL lays an egg...

F

faststrat02

mrweb said:
It is what it is, a win for the Steelers.

I agree. a win is a win. 5 yrs from now no one will remeber that the 'hawks played lol. I find it humorous that even though the 'Stones sucked at half time....CBS had the balls to "edit" out 2 of the songs.....I think america is still a lil "on edge" about justin and janet's wardrobe malfunction......

Otter

Nothing to see here
As more and more cameras are used for replays, the more griping there's gonna be.

I must be blind cuz I would swear that part of the ball definitely broke the plane of the goal line before Ben was hit and pushed back. Listening to Doc Walker on the ride home tonight, he swears the ball didn't get within 6 inches of the goal line.

The TD taken away from the Seahawks looked like Mikey Irvins signature pushoff that he used for years and got away with, I was glad they called it. When you have a receiver and defender going in one direction and the reciever puts on the brakes to reverse course and puts his hand on the defender to help him change course is a pushoff, I gaurantee you will create separation every time.

The BS penalty on Hasselbeck after the interception was truely bad. The holding calls, I can't really say cuz we only got one look at the replay from one angle. You hear every game how there is holding on every play, its always been something we've had to deal with. Reading on other boards about all these 'conspiracy' theories is laughable, the flag/flags were in the air before the outcome of the plays was known. If the pass(es) had fallen incomplete, no one would be even talking about these penalties.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
...he don't know me very well, do he?

Anyone wanna talk about Mark Brunell?

Yeah, he's retiring so he can be voted into the HOF in 2011. Right??

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

the flag/flags were in the air before the outcome of the plays was known

...and my complaint is that the game, not the referees, is why we all tune in, except you extreme law and order types.

There IS an infraction on every single play so, you ref them in an effort to only try call things that give a clear advantage.

Jackson was touched by the defender right before he pushed off; NO advantage, no call.

On BOTH the pivotal holding calls the defender was offside and on one the lineman about choked him out, good call.

The other the guy let go as soon as they made contact, bad call.

On Bens TD the ref was running to a spot, clearing looking to spot the ball and then changed his mind, TD! Like the Alstott play, bad call BUT right call on review because it wasn't indisputable.

Refs are human and anticipate plays sometimes. They are awesome in how well they do but 22 humans racing around on a single football play is damn hard to call everything right.

In any event, the reffing has gotten a ton of conversation; way more than normal.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Exactly!

otter said:
Yeah, he's retiring so he can be voted into the HOF in 2011. Right??

...and the only reason he's even there is because...blah, blah, blah, dumb Joe Gibbs and blah, blah, blah, Patrick Ramsey conspiracy and blah, blah, blah and...

Otter

Nothing to see here
One thing that Doc Walker mentioned that I didn't know is that the ref crew is made up of guys that have graded out as the best at their particular refereeing position. He thinks(and I agree) that they should grade each crew thru-out the season and put that unit in the Super Bowl rather than mixing and matching individuals that haven't worked with each other.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm all for that...

otter said:
One thing that Doc Walker mentioned that I didn't know is that the ref crew is made up of guys that have graded out as the best at their particular refereeing position. He thinks(and I agree) that they should grade each crew thru-out the season and put that unit in the Super Bowl rather than mixing and matching individuals that haven't worked with each other.

...what's the biggest cluster#### of the year?

The PRO BOWL.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
...what's the biggest cluster#### of the year?

The PRO BOWL.

Exactly, haven't watched it in years, I wish it would die a quick death. Kinda stupid to have a game with altered rules. I would rather the NFL make the pro-bowlers play softball against each other, I might watch that. Or have their own "Dancing with the Stars". That would be much more entertaining than watching guys going thru the motions of playing football.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Every year there is a Skin...

otter said:
Exactly, haven't watched it in years, I wish it would die a quick death. Kinda stupid to have a game with altered rules. I would rather the NFL make the pro-bowlers play softball against each other, I might watch that. Or have their own "Dancing with the Stars". That would be much more entertaining than watching guys going thru the motions of playing football.

...playing I cringe. The astroturf. The knees.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Waiting for the day when some star blows out his ACL and the owner sues the NFL for damages.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Extremeskins....

...bless their black hearts, brought up another call...

A player will be ruled in bounds if he touches the pylon at the goal line before going out of bounds. For example, a pass would be considered complete if one foot touches the pylon and the other foot is in bounds.

Jackson's no catch deep down the right side. What I saw was ball, left foot in, right foot hit pylon.

Catch.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
...bless their black hearts, brought up another call...

Jackson's no catch deep down the right side. What I saw was ball, left foot in, right foot hit pylon.

Catch.

I wondered about that also, but I'm betting that someone monkeyed with the rules in extremeskins.

donbarzini

otter said:
Waiting for the day when some star blows out his ACL and the owner sues the NFL for damages.

Half of that scenario has already happened. Patriots had a rookie RB(Stephens/Edwards?) from Georgia that was invited to the "rookie" game a couple of years ago. It's a flag football game played on the beach couple days before the pro bowl. Made a cut in the soft sand in the end zone and never played again. It was while Parcells was coach.