NFL Playoffs

thurley42

HY;FR
Everyone care to re-evaluate the playoff system?:lol:

Why? I like the fact that the Saints got beat by a sub .500 division leader....now can the NFL please stop talking about how the Saints saved NO from Katrina....

but seriously, every division is represeneted. If your division is weak during the season, you still have to play the games in the playoffs...so everyone has a punchers chance..that is what the playoffs should be all about.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Why? I like the fact that the Saints got beat by a sub .500 division leader....now can the NFL please stop talking about how the Saints saved NO from Katrina....
That's what I meant.

Everyone was up in arms this week about a 7-9 team making the playoffs. You still have to play the game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Everyone care to re-evaluate the playoff system?:lol:

I think if you go 6-0, you won your damn division.

As for the rest, if record is supposed to matter, Nola should have been home. It is absurd to be 7-8 and get a home playoff game in a league where home matters so much.

Past that, congrats to Seattle for simply playing their hand hand as it was dealt and winning.

:buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I think if you go 6-0, you won your damn division.

As for the rest, if record is supposed to matter, Nola should have been home. It is absurd to be 7-8 and get a home playoff game in a league where home matters so much.

Past that, congrats to Seattle for simply playing their hand hand as it was dealt and winning.

I think if you can't be bothered to win a few more games outside your division, you get what's comin' to ya'.

Nola should have played better this season if they wanted to play at home. You are what you are and they're sitting.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think if you can't be bothered to win a few more games outside your division, you get what's comin' to ya'.

Nola should have played better this season if they wanted to play at home. You are what you are and they're sitting.

As I have been arguing, the NFL wants it two incompatible ways; the division matters (Seattle makes the playoffs) and the division doesn't matter, The Raiders did not make the playoffs.

As far as what happened this year, I could care less about Nola. I think it should be changed for the future. I'd be annoyed if a 10-6 Skins team had to go to Seattle. I think, if the NFL wants an 'every game matters' league, then, best record should host, especially if the want 18 games to matter. Seattle, someone, could be 7-11 and win their division and host a 17-1 team that happened to lose their division to an 18-0 team.

And the Raiders won the AFC West. They were 6-0. And it didn't matter so, it is totally inconsistent to make division matter and not matter at the same time.

BuddyLee

Football addict
As I have been arguing, the NFL wants it two incompatible ways; the division matters (Seattle makes the playoffs) and the division doesn't matter, The Raiders did not make the playoffs.

As far as what happened this year, I could care less about Nola. I think it should be changed for the future. I'd be annoyed if a 10-6 Skins team had to go to Seattle. I think, if the NFL wants an 'every game matters' league, then, best record should host, especially if the want 18 games to matter. Seattle, someone, could be 7-11 and win their division and host a 17-1 team that happened to lose their division to an 18-0 team.

And the Raiders won the AFC West. They were 6-0. And it didn't matter so, it is totally inconsistent to make division matter and not matter at the same time.

The Raiders didn't win the AFC West because they couldn't be bothered with the majority of the remaining 10 games on their schedule. Winning division games is important but not everything in a season.

Sorry Charlie.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Raiders didn't win the AFC West because they couldn't be bothered with the majority of the remaining 10 games on their schedule. Winning division games is important but not everything in a season.

Sorry Charlie.

6-0 isn't winning your division because of better overall win/loss but, 7-9 is a home playoff game over better win/loss. The NFL and the Snyders of the world are in good shape if fans think that makes sense. What doesn't after that?

:lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
6-0 isn't winning your division because of better overall win/loss but, 7-9 is a home playoff game over better win/loss. The NFL and the Snyders of the world are in good shape if fans think that makes sense. What doesn't after that?

:lol:

It's worked all these years with a growing fan interest. Quirky? Yes. Intriguing? Hell yeah.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's worked all these years with a growing fan interest. Quirky? Yes. Intriguing? Hell yeah.

It's not quirky when you beat everyone in your division, twice, and someone else wins the division because they beat some other teams and you have a lesser record and then, all of a sudden, winning the division trumps overall record and you get a home playoff game against a team with a better overall record. It's silly.

BuddyLee

Football addict
It's not quirky when you beat everyone in your division, twice, and someone else wins the division because they beat some other teams and you have a lesser record and then, all of a sudden, winning the division trumps overall record and you get a home playoff game against a team with a better overall record. It's silly.

I think it keeps the game interesting. Adds to the parity of the league and the unknown factor. Everyone was layin' the dough on the Saints. You still have to play the game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Impossible!

The 17-1 team would have had to lose twice at least to their division opponent (18-0).:lol:

Got me there! How about 16-2??? Point is still the same; division does not matter, as evidenced by the Raiders. Overall record does...for division. Then, all of a sudden, overall record doesn't matter, as evidenced by the Saints.

I think that is silly.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think it keeps the game interesting. Adds to the parity of the league and the unknown factor. Everyone was layin' the dough on the Saints. You still have to play the game.

You talk it terms of 'couldn't be bothered to win outside the division' yet, the Saints, clearly did and were not rewarded for it. The Seahawks, by your definition didn't much care about outside opponents and were rewarded for it.

Plenty of people made comments, including me, that it was no gimme going to Seattle. We, as Skins fans, know that as well as anyone. THAT is a home field advantage.

I see no problem with Seattle getting in. I think it is absurd for them, after having a losing season, to be rewarded with home field advantage.

thurley42

HY;FR
You talk it terms of 'couldn't be bothered to win outside the division' yet, the Saints, clearly did and were not rewarded for it. The Seahawks, by your definition didn't much care about outside opponents and were rewarded for it.

Plenty of people made comments, including me, that it was no gimme going to Seattle. We, as Skins fans, know that as well as anyone. THAT is a home field advantage.

I see no problem with Seattle getting in. I think it is absurd for them, after having a losing season, to be rewarded with home field advantage.

What would be really mind blowing would be if they beat the Bears and the Packers beat the Falcons.....NFC Championship game in Seattle...lol

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What would be really mind blowing would be if they beat the Bears and the Packers beat the Falcons.....NFC Championship game in Seattle...lol

Now see, when we take things out to their logical conclusion, it gets easier to see how dumb something is. That is the best case possible to argue that, if total record matters and division record does not, then, total record should matter more.

Well done! :buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
Now see, when we take things out to their logical conclusion, it gets easier to see how dumb something is. That is the best case possible to argue that, if total record matters and division record does not, then, total record should matter more.

Well done! :buddies:

To be fair to Seattle if they win this week they do get back to .500 :killingme

Otter

Nothing to see here
4 games this weekend, visiting team won 3 of them. Its obvious to me that Seattle is marching to the Super Bowl..:yay: :lol:

Beta84

They're out to get us
but seriously, every division is represeneted. If your division is weak during the season, you still have to play the games in the playoffs...so everyone has a punchers chance..that is what the playoffs should be all about.

Yeah, that's right...everyone has a punchers chance and that's what the playoffs should be all about. So since we're ok with sub .500 teams, why not make it a 32 team tournament with the same 1 and done knockout style? The regular season can determine seeding and nothing more. Might as well. Then we can all root for the underdogs!

If a division sucks, they don't deserve representation. Think about this. The NFC West was the worst division by far. It can be argued that the AFC West was the 2nd worst division in football. Now get this -- the NFC West and AFC West played each other this year. So these terrible teams were guaranteed to get some wins because they played not only themselves, but additional crap opponents, making 10 of their 16 games against mediocre/bad teams. That doesn't even include the potential crap games they played in their remaining 6 games. So even with all of that built in, the best they could come up with was friggin 7-9? No, they don't deserve to play in the playoffs.

Just because they won doesn't mean squat. First off, the Seahawks were a pretty solid home team this year so it's not as big of a surprise as everyone pretends. Second, any team can win on "any given sunday" so this victory could have happened with the Carolina Panthers too. Big whoop. It just happened to be in the playoffs when they didn't really deserve to be there anyway.