NHL Lockout

Hank

my war
Looks like it's where it's heading.... :ohwell:

NEW YORK -- Labor talks between the NHL and NHLPA have stalled, making a lockout increasingly likely with the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire Sept. 15.

After three days of discussions this week, the two sides decided to recess Friday. The NHL and NHLPA have reached a standoff on the core economic issues and have no further talks scheduled at this time.

The impasse resulted after discussions Friday, when the NHLPA responded to the league's counter-proposal submitted earlier this week.

The critical issue preventing the two sides from forging common ground is the league's request for a decreased share of revenue for the players.

The players do not want to entertain any offer that requires them to make any absolute salary reduction.

The league's latest proposal asked the player to reduce their share from 57 percent to 46 percent. The union countered with a three-year system that featured multiple fourth-year options that would allow the players to snap back to the current share.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused the union of "stonewalling" and said he was disappointed by the direction Friday's events took. He also disputed NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr's assertion that the owners elected to recess.

"That's an unfair and inaccurate characterization," Bettman said.

Both sides said they are amenable to resuming discussions should the other have new ideas to present, but neither camp seems willing to budge at this point.

Hank

my war
Great. This went so well for both sides last time they did this.

You would think they would learn... I remember the NHL having to work hard to bring back that fan base... This is the wrong time for this considering they have been increasing profits yearly since recovering from that last debacle.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You would think they would learn... I remember the NHL having to work hard to bring back that fan base... This is the wrong time for this considering they have been increasing profits yearly since recovering from that last debacle.

jg21

What really ticks me off is that the owners basically got everything they wanted after the 04-05 lost season. Now that isn't good enough; they want more? Hey instead of crying poor, how about don't give 10 year contracts? I'm on the players' side on this one. I have faith that cooler heads will prevail.

Baz

This. ------------------>
What really ticks me off is that the owners basically got everything they wanted after the 04-05 lost season. Now that isn't good enough; they want more? Hey instead of crying poor, how about don't give 10 year contracts? I'm on the players' side on this one. I have faith that cooler heads will prevail.

I doubt the owners were thrilled with the 57% revenue split the players got. That number needs to come down, but the owners have to be realistic and not overreach the other way. Their 1st proposal was a bad joke.

I'm thinking there will be a delay to the season, but not a long one. Both sides have been doing well.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I doubt the owners were thrilled with the 57% revenue split the players got. That number needs to come down, but the owners have to be realistic and not overreach the other way. Their 1st proposal was a bad joke.

I'm thinking there will be a delay to the season, but not a long one. Both sides have been doing well.

Socialized sport. Don't see many owners in any league or sport selling and getting out.

Hank

my war

The owners are the ones signing these silly contracts... I mean, Christ, look at what the Wild did with free agents Suter and Parise and they are a so called "small market team"... If you want to cut spending, stop all these crazy contracts!! These contracts are what is driving the price of a player up! Of course the big losers are US, the fans and we are the ones that line everyone's greedy pockets!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I don't know a whole lot about this yet as I haven't researched it. So, just off the top of my head... a few thoughts.

I vaguely remember the last lock out and most of what I remember was huge disappointment that there was no hockey. I admit to being pretty much a girly-girl so the fact that I watch any sport at all is amazing. Hockey is my favorite. Yeah, I'll watch football if my Steelers are playing. Hockey, I prefer my Penguins but I've been know to watch the Caps because, darn it, it's hockey!!

I'd love to go to a game, but, I can't afford it. Teachers don't make mega bucks and we've just put 3 kids through college via loans so it's not looking good for the near future either. We haven't had a raise in 3 years and we're going into our 4th year with no contract. We're not allowed to strike or "lockout". In fact, I'm lucky to have a job.

I cordially invite any of those owners & players to walk in my shoes for a year. Perhaps then they would realize how good they have things from a financial point of view.

As for me, I'll continue to teach because "my fans" (otherwise known as my wonderful students) need me. I have enough money for my needs (as long as I can pay the bills), and every now & then a few smaller wants, and an older model television (not a big fancy flat screen) that does an adequate job of showing me where the puck is during the game...as long as there is a game out there.:coffee:

(You know, come to think of it, I may have gotten hooked on hockey when there was no football. Perhaps I can get back out of the habit...soccer anyone?)

Hank

my war
I don't know a whole lot about this yet as I haven't researched it. So, just off the top of my head... a few thoughts.

I vaguely remember the last lock out and most of what I remember was huge disappointment that there was no hockey. I admit to being pretty much a girly-girl so the fact that I watch any sport at all is amazing. Hockey is my favorite. Yeah, I'll watch football if my Steelers are playing. Hockey, I prefer my Penguins but I've been know to watch the Caps because, darn it, it's hockey!!

I'd love to go to a game, but, I can't afford it. Teachers don't make mega bucks and we've just put 3 kids through college via loans so it's not looking good for the near future either. We haven't had a raise in 3 years and we're going into our 4th year with no contract. We're not allowed to strike or "lockout". In fact, I'm lucky to have a job.

I cordially invite any of those owners & players to walk in my shoes for a year. Perhaps then they would realize how good they have things from a financial point of view.

As for me, I'll continue to teach because "my fans" (otherwise known as my wonderful students) need me. I have enough money for my needs (as long as I can pay the bills), and every now & then a few smaller wants, and an older model television (not a big fancy flat screen) that does an adequate job of showing me where the puck is during the game...as long as there is a game out there.:coffee:

(You know, come to think of it, I may have gotten hooked on hockey when there was no football. Perhaps I can get back out of the habit...soccer anyone?)

I drop $200 (including ticket) at a game easy! It's absurd!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Did anyone happen to catch that poor excuse for an apology that the NHL posted on Facebook today? Judging from the comments, I'm not the only fan who's disgusted with them.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Damn.

NBC Sports Network might as well shut down now....... well, at least until they get NASCAR in 2015.

Hank

my war
Wow, I sure had to dig deep to resurrect this one. If anyone still cares, Bettman has thrown another crappy offer at the players, along with his usual, thinly veiled threats if the players don't accept the offer and accept it now.

Apparently Don Fehr isn't impressed. :coffee:

Hope they come back soon because my Cowboys are suckin'!!

Honestly 50/50 sounds good to me and they would be able to get in a full season! Let's drop the damn puck!!!

Sweet 16

^^8^^
At least put some minor league or college hockey on in all the NHL time slots....

I heard a rumor they were going to broadcast KHL games but I don't know how or if they would do that.

I just don't like how the league sat on this offer for so long in order to pressure the players to accept quickly.....or else. Sick and tired of the league's (i.e. Bettman's) heavy-handedness in all areas.