Nice start to the season

Inkd

Thanks. He went about 85-90 yards maybe. Further than I had hoped. The exit was nice and took a lung, but he was quartering hard away and the entrance had to be back some to get a good angle.
This was with a G5 broadhead...which is my first deer with these. I have shot muzzy 100gr for years, but decided to give these a try. Not bad heads.

My doe did the same thing, I only got one lung and she didn't leave a blood trail at all, luckily I had a friend help me out. I used the G5 also, I shot one deer with them last year and didn't go to far but I double lunged her. Still wasn't a great blood trail though. I have some rage 2 blades that I use also and really like them but they are pricey. Alot of my friends use slick tricks and they seem to like them. Once I shoot myself out of rage and g5's maybe i'll give them a try.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Cool, I have a couple roasts in the freezer and my landlord has the pickling spices. Going to give it a try. Can it stay in there longer than 14 days?

I don't know, I've never left it longer than that. I would assume that eventually the meat would start to break down and go rancide.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Here's another yummy venison recipe. Got this out of a Pioneer Seed Cookbook years ago. We've played around with the spices some, but this is the basic recipe. It's a bit dense, the addition of some pork fat might be good.

The Tender Quick is really important for both these recipes - believe me, I tried it without once - yuck. Used to find it at McKays, recently I've ordered online.

Venison Summer Sausage

2 lbs ground venison
3/4 teasp garlic powder
1 teasp mustard seed
2 teasp peppercorns
1 tabls liquid smoke
3 tabls Morton's Tender Quick

Blend all ingredients together. Shape into rolls no larger than 2 1/2 inches round. Wrap in aluminum foil, with the shiny side in. Chill for 24 hours.

Pour 1 1/2 cups water in a broiler pan. Place rack on pan. Poke holes down one length of the foil. Place holes down on the broiler rack.

Bake at 325 degrees for 90 minutes; unwrap to cool.

Slice and serve on crackers with cheese.