Nike To Endorse Michael Vick

Wow, that's quite a surprise - that it would happen this quickly. I'm not sure if it's a bad move or not, but there would certainly seem to be a fair bit of risk involved.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Wow, that's quite a surprise - that it would happen this quickly. I'm not sure if it's a bad move or not, but there would certainly seem to be a fair bit of risk involved.

The article touches on that point, but antagonisms and protests - have not been what many people had thought would happen. Lotsa talk about hundreds of protesters at the gates of the Eagles' stadium, never did materialise:

"Nike may have to endure complaints from animal activists angry with their alliance with Vick. But protesters have been minimal outside Eagles games thus far and Vick, who's working with the Humane Society of the United States, has said he wants to make amends for his participation in dogfighting.--"

He's on his way back to stardom, if McNabb falls.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I wonder why. He hasn't done anything yet, especially last week.

I'm talking about his future. He hasn't done anything yet, you are right. But think about his age; he's still a young guy, still has the moves, the speed, and he still has that arm. You can't deny, that given his potential starting role, in the near future, he could shine again.

Stranger things have happened, no?

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...as_barred.html

A fan from Delaware County said yesterday she was barred from Lincoln Financial Field before Sunday's Eagles game until she agreed to turn inside out a T-shirt critical of quarterback Michael Vick.
Kori Martin, 32, of Broomall, said she was wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "Losers fight pitbulls" on the front, with Vick's name and No. 7 crossed out. On the back, she said, were the words "You don't deserve a second chance."

BuddyLee

Football addict
I'm talking about his future. He hasn't done anything yet, you are right. But think about his age; he's still a young guy, still has the moves, the speed, and he still has that arm. You can't deny, that given his potential starting role, in the near future, he could shine again.

Stranger things have happened, no?
He's not that young in NFL years.

I see Philly doing the smart thing and trading his rights next season while they have the chance.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Nike makes shoes out of leather... Do you really think they are going to care about a couple of animal activists bitching about Vick?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Nike makes shoes out of leather... Do you really think they are going to care about a couple of animal activists bitching about Vick?

Nike has most likely "felt the pulse" of the animosity, the antagonism and the intensity of the threats that were supposed to have arisen, concerning Mike Vick's return to the NFL, and probably felt the time was right to offer him a new endorsement contract.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Wait a minute!!

On ESPN, I just saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen, it just flashed: Breaking News - Nike Denies Deal With Michael Vick...!

Wow! That was quick! Wonder what happened?

LordStanley

I know nothing
Wait a minute!!

On ESPN, I just saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen, it just flashed: Breaking News - Nike Denies Deal With Michael Vick...!

Wow! That was quick! Wonder what happened?

Someone didnt check their sources

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
yes... not meaning you :lol:

Another slant :lol:

Nike denies signing Michael Vick to sponsorship pact - ESPN

NEW YORK -- Nike said Thursday it does not have a "contractual relationship" with Michael Vick, a day after the quarterback's agent announced a deal with the manufacturer.
In a statement released Thursday morning, Nike said it has "agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike."

What are they saying? "We are gonna give him some Nike products to wear, with our logo on them, but he ain't gonna make no money from us". :lmao:

Nike: We Don't Have Contract With Vick

It looks like they just misinterpreted what Vick's agent said - perhaps he was intentionally misleading. This makes more sense. It just struck me as awfully quick for someone that prominent to risk that level of association. There's more downside to it than upside at this point.

Because of the widespread nature, and routine usage, of their products, Nike does have to take into account negative sentiments. It is different for them than with the NFL. People who want to go to NFL games aren't likely to decide not to because of Vick, and not many people who love football are going to stop watching because of Vick - the game is more important to them than how they feel about him. But, some people certainly would buy a different brand of sportswear because of how they feel. A particular brand is not more important to them than how they feel, and there are other options. It is easier to just buy a pair of Reeboks instead of Nikes, than it is to go protest outside a stadium - and Nike would no doubt suffer some of that.

At some point, there may be more business upside than there is downside for Nike, regarding and endorsement deal with Vick. I just don't think that's the case yet.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Well, you know what those old sayings opined:

"It's a dog eat dog world out there." "But, there are times it gives you great pause". (pun intended) :lmao: