Nimby

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SmallTown
One thing that is always assumed is that when the term SMIB is used, it is a blanket word for everyone who is more than a 1st generation resident of the county. Not so. If you take offense to the term, then you need to look at why it offends you. Kinda like if you're 6'1" and weigh 175 pounds and someone blurts out "you're a fat slob", would you care? I think not. if they talk about SMIBS in front of you, then obviously you are not one of them so they are not making asses out of themselves one bit.

I have to disagree. I've lived here 22 years. NONE of the Raleys, Mattinglys, Abells, Gattons, Carrolls, Goughs or other local families that I know appreciate the word SMIB. In my experience, the word is ONLY used by newcomers as a term of contempt. If you think otherwise, try using the term in Pennie's Bar or Anderson's bar and see the reaction.

I've been at a few parties where someone started talking about SMIBs, not realizing that some of the people listening were from local families. Instead of making a big scene about it, they gently remind the speaker of their heritage and watch him or her get embarrassed.

Anyway, would you agree that calling someone "inbred," no matter where they're from, is not a good idea? As I posted in another thread, the real problem is the speaker's intent or ignorance.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tonio
...In my experience, the word is ONLY used by newcomers as a term of contempt. If you think otherwise, try using the term in Pennie's Bar or Anderson's bar and see the reaction.....
And if you do... The plus side is the "Emergency Room" is only a minute and a half from Pennies. Where more smibs can start patching you back up!

blueeyes76

i don't think you people that use the term SMIB so freely understand it's meaning. for clarification...Southern Maryland InBred. It IS an insult to us LOCALS.

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by blueeyes76
i don't think you people that use the term SMIB so freely understand it's meaning. for clarification...Southern Maryland InBred. It IS an insult to us LOCALS.

I don't take offense to the term. :cheers:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by jetmonkey
You should take offense whenever any group of people call another group of people names in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. They probably have a different name they call you behind your back that you DO find offensive, sxy. Or maybe you just put up with it, I don't.

Jet,

Why would I let one person or a group of person's name calling offend me? I'm and adult and can clearly stay clear of the elementary games, unlike others. :rolleyes:

I know who I am and what I am so therefore, others opinions of me do not matter. It's foolishness. SIMPLE!!!

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by jetmonkey
I guess you are a bigger person than I am. I am a small, petty individual prone to fits of pique when people touting themselves as educated and intelligent try to deride my home, my friends and my family. Small and petty.

Keyword today is O-P-I-N-I-O-N, not F-A-C-T. :cheers:

Azura

Originally posted by SxyPrincess

Jet,

Why would I let one person or a group of person's name calling offend me? I'm and adult and can clearly stay clear of the elementary games, unlike others. :rolleyes:

I know who I am and what I am so therefore, others opinions of me do not matter. It's foolishness. SIMPLE!!!

This is so true.. and it would be a much better world if everyone was as .. what's the word i'm looking for? Confindent? Unaffected? not sure, but you're totally right. And i have told myself before that i feel the same way.. you know Sticks and stones type thing..
But i always take the bait, i always play the game and that's what the people who use these terms want. They get no pleasure from someone like you who doesn't give a crap about what they say and who doesn't feel hurt by it.

We should all strive to rise above this sort of nonsense...

Of course, then this board might get a bit boring
:razz2:

I dunno.. point is, I don't like the word SMIB, I don't like the N word, I don't like a lot of things, but i guess like Sxy pointed out, it's MY decision how i let it affect ME

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Okay, I am not a local born county native. However, out of all the places within (and out of) the DC Metro are I choose St. Mary's to live. it didn't choose me. Therefore I accept the laws, rules and the unwritten word of the land. Just the way it goes. Now I do have and hour plus commute, but I think it is worth it to what and where I come home to. If you don't think so, move, you can always commute too.
I personally don't like it when someone insults my heritage and the fact that I am a hillbilly, Southern redneck etc etc. Now some things may be said in fun, but when the tone is insulting and the meaning derogatory I get pretty po'd. And when that happens, I am prepared to show you just what an ignorant redneck hillbilly can do to you. So I think the "SMIB" is along the same lines. Do not insult people just because they are local or different or have roots in the area. Continue to do so, expect to get beat down sooner or later.
As for the biking trails, I am originally from those beautiful and scenic Blue Ridge Mountians. We have plenty of nature trails for hiking and biking and necking - all maintained by Uncle Sam. And all things considered, they do a pretty decent job of it. However, that is there and we are talking here. Since I have been on trails around here (not just 4 wheeling), I have discovered I can't take my dog on some trails because they are strewn with broken beer bottles - glass everywhere, along with trash - I have seen needles, used condoms and a few really nasty things. There have been some strung out looking people on some of my walks that made me real happy I was carrying mace (and then later wonder if it would have done me any good). Do I think the deginerents who left these messes and scared me half to death are locals? No I do not, I think they are transplants kids who are looking for places to have some "fun". But do I want one of these nature trails running up against my back door - there ain't no way. I would protest like a son of gun. Am I local? Why yes I am. I live here. I call this area home. Am I born county native? No I am not.
Maybe those of you who have such strong issues with this county, really do need to consider looking into other areas to live. A commute could be worth it to have the ameneites you desire, and people who are likeminded surrounding you.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by migtig
Okay, I am not a local born county native. However, out of all the places within (and out of) the DC Metro are I choose St. Mary's to live. it didn't choose me. Therefore I accept the laws, rules and the unwritten word of the land. ...
:cheers:

H

Heretic

SMIB = Souther Maryland Imbreed

So unless your parents were related before they were married I don't see why you sould take offense.

I actually learned the term from a St Marys Naitive.

Anyways, Jetmonkey was the one that brought up SMIB's

L

lilbooboo

Our lesson for the day...

Don't call people SMIB's or other names.
It's just not nice!!!

L

lilbooboo

Re: lilbooboo

Originally posted by Sharon
You're BUSTED! :lol: It's just not nice. :biggrin:

(schmaltzy music up and under)
I think that I am a perfect example of how something negative can be turned into a positive, and how there are lessons to be learned from life (music swells) and how...now matter how bad the original intention, that something positive can come from it.
As a result, I, booboo, have dedicated myself to teaching those kinds of lessons on the internet....and..>EVERYWHERE!!!

Thank you, thank you very much...
:biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
lilbooboo/Elvis/the other

Originally posted by lilbooboo

(schmaltzy music up and under)
I think that I am a perfect example of how something negative can be turned into a positive, and how there are lessons to be learned from life
Lesson #1 --Take your meds even if you think you don't need them. You could turn into a self-killing psycho and hurt all 3 of you. :roflmao:

Cracka

I agree with Migtig's last post,exactly what I been thinking,...except for the dog part but only cause I don't have one.:cheers:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Heretic
SMIB = Souther Maryland Imbreed
So unless your parents were related before they were married I don't see why you sould take offense.
OK, so my husband is of the Ark & dove family and I am not... so what does that make my daughter?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
God how I've missed you, Jet! :kiss:

I'm not even from here originally but I would gladly smack the sh*t out of anyone who uses the term SMIB. And I'm sick of that tiresome old "there are white ******s too" excuse for using it. Whenever one of the come-heres uses that term, I immediately think "Redneck" and write them off.

That said, I'm into bike trails. Why force people to ride in the street, endangering themselves and causing a nuisance? No one says they have to run through people's backyards.

tater

Originally posted by migtig
I have seen needles, used condoms and a few really nasty things

:roflmao: @ "and a few really nasty things".

Whatever happened to the good ole days when the trails were only lined with nice arrangements of crack needles and assorted used condoms :frown:

:biggrin:

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by jaybeeztoo
SMIB's in St. Mary's County commmit beastiality (sp?)

Those aren't SMIBS.. Those are people with sick mental problems.. Should be called SMMIs, Southern Maryland Mental Issues. Since that really isn't really a Southern Maryland thing, just call them MIs.. Gotta have something to call people..
How many times has someone cut you off in traffic and almost caused an accident and called them an a$$hole? They don't look like an a$$hole.. Don't smell like one. But you still call them that..
I've seen women yell "b!tch" at other women drivers, but when I look over I see some lady driving the car, not a poodle.

I have heard people yell "you son of a b!tch".. His mother had nothing to do with the situation, leave her out of it.

You're the second person in line at a stoplight. The light turns green but the person in front of you just sits there. After a bit you honk your horn and say "come on idiot, go!". You have no idea about his/her educational background. He/she may have a masters degree in physics so there was some other reason for him not going.

We are ALL guilty of saying something about someone without fully knowing the person.