NO EXISS Horse Trailer for me!!

K

Katie

Well that is good to know because we will start looking for a trailer soon enough.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I don't believe that.....a horse that just bumps his head on the roof is going to put a hole in it....Even a 15.3 h horse would have to have to come up off the floor to hit the roof. I'm completely happy with my Exiss. JMO I posted that link in the horse trailer world site to see if I get any feed back on it.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
mingiz said:
I don't believe that.....a horse that just bumps his head on the roof is going to put a hole in it....Even a 15.3 h horse would have to have to come up off the floor to hit the roof. I'm completely happy with my Exiss. JMO I posted that link in the horse trailer world site to see if I get any feed back on it.
This woman is an Appy breeder, feel free to contact her directly from her website.
http://www.hdcappaloosas.com/

FWIW, call Exiss directly as well, and ask them the questions she claims they answered for her, just out of curiosity. ANd check the roof on yours, to see if the material is thinner than other areas. If nothing else, hopefully your inquiry will let them know she IS telling horse people what happened. This is NOT some sort of joke, or urban legend. She is for real.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
mingiz said:

I have the same trailer and we have also had that problem with the roof. My horse just popped her head up and put a small hole in the roof. It is true. I forwarded to her my story and she is going to forward it to Exiss. Hopefully, they will do the right thing and fix the problem. All in all, the trailer is very nice! They just need to reinforce the roof.

morganhorse

I just picked up my new trailer last weekend....glad I didn't go with Exiss

2000%20Sundowner%20Sunlite%20727%203HR%20Mid%20Tack.JPG

mingiz

Horse Poor
Busterduck said:
I have the same trailer and we have also had that problem with the roof. My horse just popped her head up and put a small hole in the roof. It is true. I forwarded to her my story and she is going to forward it to Exiss. Hopefully, they will do the right thing and fix the problem. All in all, the trailer is very nice! They just need to reinforce the roof.

Well I guess that I have been lucky with mine. The worst my horse does in the trailer is paw. Sometimes it sounds like she is literally tearing the wall & floor out. I'm sure all horse trailers have flaws in them, just have to find them the hard way sometimes.....

Morgan horse Nice trailer!!!! :yay:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Busterduck said:
WOW that's no coincidence. It has to be a defect as well as a serious safety issue. I guess going lightweight has it drawbacks when the mfg choses to skimp on supplies during production to lighten the weight of the trailer (which is what i'm guessing is the reason for thinner materials in this particular area of the unit), and i'm sure it's not reflected in the price.

fredsaid2

Aren't they sold as all aluminum trailers? Would they double up the aluminum layers to increase the strength? Some, like Hawk and Equispirit, have reinforced fiberglass roofs to get the lighter weight advantage. Maybe the issue in the Exiss is ceiling height, do they have options to increase the height?

mingiz

Horse Poor
This is a quote from the HTW forums about it.....

It looks real. A combination of unfortunate events.

The horse rears, his head hits at the edge of the vent opening. Like a chip bag with a nick, the aluminum tears at the vent.

I wouldn't blame the trailer. Aluminum is light, but its tensile strength is less than steel's. The broom handle comment is uncalled for.

I just can't believe a horse lifts his head and that happens especailly when the vents are in the center of the stall area. If the horse was in there with no extra room width wise. He would have to go up pretty good to hit near a vent. Now my trailer is a 96 not sure if the style ia any different. JMO..Not defending Exiss either just can't picture it.....

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I have had aluminum trailers for years...Sundowner sierra and a Gore and never had anything like that..but my horses act decent and I dont haul other peoples horses in my trailers as a rule..I think when you go with all alum for weight maybe you loose some strength...I really dont know..just never have seen that before.

R

riderup

The vents on my trailer (American Spirit) are in front of the chest bar in the ceiling. My horse would have to come up pretty high and over the bar to even get close. The fiberglass roof eliminates a lot of weight and is pretty sturdy.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
mingiz said:
This is a quote from the HTW forums about it.....

It looks real. A combination of unfortunate events.

The horse rears, his head hits at the edge of the vent opening. Like a chip bag with a nick, the aluminum tears at the vent.

I wouldn't blame the trailer. Aluminum is light, but its tensile strength is less than steel's. The broom handle comment is uncalled for.

I just can't believe a horse lifts his head and that happens especailly when the vents are in the center of the stall area. If the horse was in there with no extra room width wise. He would have to go up pretty good to hit near a vent. Now my trailer is a 96 not sure if the style ia any different. JMO..Not defending Exiss either just can't picture it.....

Actually that is exactly where mine has the tear. If you see how these trailers are configured, the vent is exactly where the horse's head would hit. Mine didn't get nearly as damaged as that picture. Just a little hole. The ceilings need a double layer of alum. IMHO. Interesting to know that this has happened to others and not just to me.

covekat

I had an Exciss 4 horse straight load, I bought it used, from a dealer out of state and was assured that it was in excellent condition. I happened to run into someone that recognized the trailer as one his friend used to own. That friend turned out to be my ex husbans cousin. This friend had told me that the trailer had had all sorts of structural problems. I called the ex's cousin, he told me that he got a FULL refund (the trailer was 2 yrs old) because the the floor had seperated from the frame, and became a springboard while his horses were in the trailer. We did noticed some old stress cracks but they had been welded. Turns out this trailer had been welded several times but kept cracking. I returned the trailer for a FULL refund also.

Last year we saw a horrible accident on 95 up near the Delaware line. An Exciss 3 horse slant had flipped(driver error) and one of the mares was ejected out of the roof. Needless to say, I would never own another Exciss trailer.

fredsaid2

This is quite interesting, Exiss issued a response to this incident on Horse Trailer World's trailer forum. I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer respond on an open forum.

Exiss response

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
fredsaid2 said:
This is quite interesting, Exiss issued a response to this incident on Horse Trailer World's trailer forum. I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer respond on an open forum.

Exiss response

They also sent that response to me personally because of the problems I have had with my exiss sport. Perhaps it isn't all Exiss trailers but both that lady who sent around the pictures and I have had the exact same problem with the roof. Mine wasn't as bad as hers but is all stems from the vents. Perhaps there is a seam problem? I have no idea but am disappointed about the way Exiss did respond. They didn't say ANYTHING about the roof problems.

Oh well. What can you do? Their customer service truly does SUCK.

covekat

I just wanted to mention that a very good welder told us the problem with our Exiss was that the ramp was to heavy for the frame to support. I'm not sure if it's this way with all the Exiss trailers.