• ...neither

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • ...both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...players are decertifying their union which means they can sue under anti trust and the owners will probably lock out so...

You're sympathies with the players or the owners?

:popcorn:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
...players are decertifying their union which means they can sue under anti trust and the owners will probably lock out so...

:popcorn:

Neither......Hope they all end up in line for food stamps when all is said and done.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Bring on the SCABS and bring the Lombardi Trophy to Redskins Park ... again!

Rael

Supper's Ready
I'm much more on the side of the owners. Why should the players have a voice in how much money the owners make? Agree to play at a negotiated price, and do your job as a player. If you do well, you might negotiate better for the next contract. If you don't do that well in relation to the rest of your competition, good bye. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't understand how something that's happening in March is going to cancel a season that doesn't start August.

puggymom

Neither......Hope they all end up in line for food stamps when all is said and done.

Hubby was watching something the other night (I was not paying attention until that part) and it had a clip of Chad Johnson Ochocinco going through the Mc Donald's drive thru. After he orders he asked for an employment application. As he was driving through he turned to the camera and said something like 'who says I am not concerned about my career after football'. I laughed so hard. Not sure what this has to do with anything, it was just funny.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Bring on the SCABS and bring the Lombardi Trophy to Redskins Park ... again!

I bet I could find them some teachers who would agree to play for less than what the players are getting, as long as they get to throw in some youth leagues & teach some math or something... :roflmao:

Toxick

Splat

Sympathy?

My sympathy is in the dictionary between #### and syphilis.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I don't understand how something that's happening in March is going to cancel a season that doesn't start August.
Ever been involved in a trial? :lol: From this League article:
It could take a month for there to be a ruling on the union's injunction request, and antitrust judgments should take longer.

Even though the NFL is early in its offseason -- and the regular season is six months away -- this is hardly a complete down time. Free agency usually begins in March, and hundreds of potential free agents are now in limbo. Also this month, under a regular schedule, offseason workouts would start, and the owners meet to establish rules changes.

Plus, March and early April are when many sponsors and corporate partners renew their deals with the NFL, part of why the league says hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue now will be lost.

I did chuckle at this line from Goodell, "First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone." As Larry corrected me a while back, it's not a game, it's a business. I doubt anyone involved cares much about the fans. :coffee:

Otter

Nothing to see here
I'm much more on the side of the owners. Why should the players have a voice in how much money the owners make? Agree to play at a negotiated price, and do your job as a player. If you do well, you might negotiate better for the next contract. If you don't do that well in relation to the rest of your competition, good bye.

:yeahthat: Screw the players, they are paid handsomely and even if they have only a 4 yr career, they still will make more than 80% of the population in their lifetime. Bring in guys that wanna play, screw the union.

I find it repulsive that employees think they deserve more of MY profit when they are paid quite well as it is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:yeahthat: Screw the players, they are paid handsomely and even if they have only a 4 yr career, they still will make more than 80% of the population in their lifetime. Bring in guys that wanna play, screw the union.

I find it repulsive that employees think they deserve more of MY profit when they are paid quite well as it is.

Let' walk this out; it is said it is a $9 billion business. Obviously, no one pays into that to watch the owners. Except Redskin fans who have so given up hope that the only real entertainment is Owner Problem of the Week. So, other than us...

The players get something like 60% and there are about 2,000 players including practice squad, injured lists etc. So, we're looking at something in the neighborhood of $2.5 mil per player per year if we simply average it which is not the case. SO, to your comments about all the money the greedy players make;

Answers.com - What is the average salary of an NFL football player

The median salary in the NFL in 2009 was roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000. The Steelers have the highest median salary at $1.1 million, the Packers the lowest at $440,000. The Redskins have the highest payroll at $123 million. The Giants have the lowest at $76 million.
The average (arithmetic mean) NFL salary in 2006 was $1.4 million.
Source: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/mediansalaries.aspx?year=2007
Given that the average length of a Gridiron player's career in NFL is 3 years, average Green Bay salary of $440,000 means that after tax they earn less than $1 million total career earnings hampered by the fact there is nowhere else to play as Leagues have folded.
League minimums for years 1994, 1995, 1996.
$108,000, $149,000, $196,000. No guaranteed contracts.

The average Packer is not going to make more in those three years than most people in a lifetime. Not even close when you consider the massive tax disparity. That Packer might have $600,000 after taxes. Someone making $50k average over time is gonna take home about 75% of that and, over 40 years, we're looking at $1.5 mil over a lifetime.

What's that football player do if he didn't get much of an education an gave everything to the game, including his knees, his shoulders and maybe a dozen good concussions for good measure? He's gonna be you or me, at best, once he starts trying to catch up to us.

And his $600,000? How much went into normal living expenses let alone a nice house, car and trips and just stuff? Even if it's an average Steeler, he's got, what, maybe a million to carry him until he becomes us.

That is something, for sure, and he chooses that life. However, I am trying to make the case that for a typical NFL player, it ain't all that and there is no Manning, no Brady, no Super Bowl, without the cannon fodder.

And, as far as the players wanting more of the 'owners money' how many teams are for sale? How many teams even pay for their own stadiums?

Point being, I think there is room to care a bit more for the players.

:buddies:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Let' walk this out; it is said it is a $9 billion business. Obviously, no one pays into that to watch the owners. Except Redskin fans who have so given up hope that the only real entertainment is Owner Problem of the Week. So, other than us...

The players get something like 60% and there are about 2,000 players including practice squad, injured lists etc. So, we're looking at something in the neighborhood of $2.5 mil per player per year if we simply average it which is not the case. SO, to your comments about all the money the greedy players make;

Answers.com - What is the average salary of an NFL football player

The average Packer is not going to make more in those three years than most people in a lifetime. Not even close when you consider the massive tax disparity. That Packer might have $600,000 after taxes. Someone making $50k average over time is gonna take home about 75% of that and, over 40 years, we're looking at $1.5 mil over a lifetime.

What's that football player do if he didn't get much of an education an gave everything to the game, including his knees, his shoulders and maybe a dozen good concussions for good measure? He's gonna be you or me, at best, once he starts trying to catch up to us.

And his $600,000? How much went into normal living expenses let alone a nice house, car and trips and just stuff? Even if it's an average Steeler, he's got, what, maybe a million to carry him until he becomes us.

That is something, for sure, and he chooses that life. However, I am trying to make the case that for a typical NFL player, it ain't all that and there is no Manning, no Brady, no Super Bowl, without the cannon fodder.

And, as far as the players wanting more of the 'owners money' how many teams are for sale? How many teams even pay for their own stadiums?

Point being, I think there is room to care a bit more for the players.

:buddies:

You're neglecting the fact that these people have already been given a very high priced education, is that never going to be put to use?