No place to put the Manure...

DQ2B

Blah, I've only got three and I'm at a loss with what to do with all the manure accumulating. What is everyone else doing? Can't imagine how all of you with big barns are managing!

Robin

Blah, I've only got three and I'm at a loss with what to do with all the manure accumulating. What is everyone else doing? Can't imagine how all of you with big barns are managing!

Small Tractor with 4 wheel drive.

Sparks

Had hubby plow (4x4 tractor as well) me a road to the manure pile. Can't get to the sawdust pile yet but I stockpiled sawdust in an empty stall last week. I'll have him plow to the sawdust pile over the weekend. Horses are behaving very well being stuck inside.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Rolling the 2 wheeled wheel barrow out until it gets stuck then dumping it into the tractor furrows. Luckily the snow is hiding it pretty quick, cause Hubs will NOT be happy with me when the snow melts. My game plan is to play innocent then beg forgiveness later. :lol:

devinej

they decided the manure pile was too risky, or rather the frozen swamp that lies in front of it, if he got this tractor stuck, then he doesn't have anything to pull it out with, so we started a new temporary pile near the barn, no tractor needed.

Eventer29

Ours is going in the indoor for now. Cant make it out to the pile or spread it in the spreader. It sorta works since I cant water the arena since the hose is frozen!

highnote

Had my husband drive his 4wd truck along the path to my "dump area" enough times to pack down a set of tracks... then I could wheel the wheelbarrow down the tracks. Works for me!

Wait4It..boom

we hand dug a quick path from the stall to the nearby fence. we've been dumping it there with the intention of throwing it over the fence as soon as the snow melts. needed a little something extra at the base of this particular fence anyway to keep water from coming back into the barn field and making a bigger sloppy mess when all this starts to melt.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
4 of the stalls I'm able to throw it out of the window next to the barn where it hides. 3 of the other stalls were relying on the wheel-barrow. Well, now it's full! I'm trying to turn out as much as possible and I'm throwing the soiled stuff into the back corners of the stalls until I'm able to remove it.

Tractors with 4-wheel drive work well, until they bottom out in 2.5 feet. That takes about 2 second after pulling immediately out of the barn! There's no chance in hale for the 4-wheeler. :jameo:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Not exactly a horsey person here, I have a small background in riding/owning a pleasure horse.......
Anyway, I ask for mature manure in the spring for my garden. Is there some service that hauls away manure to make mulch and such?

DQ2B

Not exactly a horsey person here, I have a small background in riding/owning a pleasure horse.......
Anyway, I ask for mature manure in the spring for my garden. Is there some service that hauls away manure to make mulch and such?

I wish. Nothing in S. md. area. There's a company in N. VA and something out of PA but nothing down this far. Can't even rent a dumpster for such use, I've checked.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I wish. Nothing in S. md. area. There's a company in N. VA and something out of PA but nothing down this far. Can't even rent a dumpster for such use, I've checked.

I wish I had a backhoe & dump truck. Would you consider renting equipment with some other farms and finding a dumping site?

CountryLady

luvmyponies
There are a few people in the somd area that will pick up manure.

HOWEVER, they will NOT shovel out your barn for you!:killingme

Composting manure is relatively easy, and can prove to be a money earner. :coffee: