No Roseanne thread????

PsyOps

Pixelated
She said dumb #### and paid for her actions. As it should be.

I truly feel bad though for those who lost their gigs because of her individual comments. Some of those folks don't seem to have done much since the first round of the show.

That's not really what this is all about. If a company wants to punish someone for saying dumb #### that's fine. They're a private company and can take whatever action they feel is appropriate. What I (and most rest of us) see is a blinding double-standard. We've seen Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg say some pretty vile things on The View - things they had to apologize for - and they remain gainfully employed. We have the Samantha Bee's tweet, and she's being raved as some hero. Sally Fields even replied to it saying "I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a ####. ####s are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest." I provided a quote from Wanda Sykes (who quit working on the Roseanne show because of Roseanne's tweek; this before ABC cancelled the show), comparing Trump to an orangutan. Of course we don't even need to talk about Bill Maher and his profanity-laced show. All in the name of comedy right?

When you people on the left start holding your own accountable, the way you do people on the right, then I might take you seriously. Otherwise, your post is nothing but bigotry rooted in your bias.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
It is how it should be. That doesn't mean punishment isn't handed out equally, unfortunately, but that falls under the rights of the employer to hire and fire someone as they see fit.

Leave it to you not to see the double-standard. You're such a fair guy. :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
All in the name of comedy right?

That's another thing: comedians used to be actually funny. Now the bots are being told that vile political screeds and filthy name calling are "comedy". Standing on a stage calling the President's press secretary a liar, and calling the President's daughter a ####, is what passes for humor with those people. Doesn't have to be clever, it just has to be vulgar and profane and the bots will laugh their heads off as directed.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's another thing: comedians used to be actually funny. Now the bots are being told that vile political screeds and filthy name calling are "comedy". Standing on a stage calling the President's press secretary a liar, and calling the President's daughter a ####, is what passes for humor with those people. Doesn't have to be clever, it just has to be vulgar and profane and the bots will laugh their heads off as directed.

I honestly don't care what words they use in their comedy. If it draws an audience, good for them. I go back to the days of George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Cheech and Chong... All of them were filth, but funny as hell. Rarely did they get political; but they sure were profane. Today, comedians are just plain nasty and hateful. 'Comedy' is just a guise to justify their contempt and hatred.

But when it comes networks and employers firing people for saying something 'offensive' who holding a certain political position, while excusing those from their own side, then we do start getting into that realm of political/social butchery. Our media and entertainment industries literally own the dialog. They can and do control who is accepted and who isn't. And that's where our liberties die... when one side is shut completely down in favor of the other.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I honestly don't care what words they use in their comedy. If it draws an audience, good for them. I go back to the days of George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Cheech and Chong... All of them were filth, but funny as hell. Rarely did they get political; but they sure were profane. Today, comedians are just plain nasty and hateful. 'Comedy' is just a guise to justify their contempt and hatred.

I was thinking Lenny Bruce.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

But when it comes networks and employers firing people for saying something 'offensive' who holding a certain political position, while excusing those from their own side, then we do start getting into that realm of political/social butchery. Our media and entertainment industries literally own the dialog. They can and do control who is accepted and who isn't. And that's where our liberties die... when one side is shut completely down in favor of the other.

I was thinking Lenny Bruce.

As those comedians moved the shock value bar, now we need something stronger to shock us. Which is why "comedians" like Samantha Bee can stand on a stage and call people ####s and the bots will fall all over themselves laughing.

Just keeps getting better.

Her agent dropped Barr and 3 networks have removed her re-runs from the lineup.

Chris0nllyn

You, Chris, *say* you're a Libertarian. If that were true, you would be alarmed by this little cultural takeover by the Left.

My Libertarian ideals are clearly stated in my previous post. It may suck, but it's the right of the employer to hire and fire who they wish when they wish. Employment is a contract between a business and a person and you may want some level of governmental intervention in those contracts, but I don't.

Misunderstanding Libertarianism is no excuse for making false statements based on what you think I should do. Being a Libertarian has nothing to do with being outraged about a "cultural takeover" and if you're going to have the nerve to tell me to read up on something to understand it, you could at least do the same.

Chris0nllyn

Leave it to you not to see the double-standard. You're such a fair guy. :rolleyes:

I said it was unfortunate, didn't I? I agreed with you all how it should be but I "don't see the double standard"?

Look, I agree that Roseanne said something dumb and the left made a mountain out of a mole hill and that other people, on the left, say/said worse things and kept their job....but what are you looking for? Besides arguing with me because some of you can't seem to read my posts without some negative connotation, what would you like to see? Trump step in? A riot? What on earth is all this whining about Roseanne going to accomplish? Do you not believe in the right of an employer to hire and fire whom they wish for whatever reason?

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
So you're saying she didn't know about the spying on the Trump campaign and wiretaps, a la Watergate? I find that hard to believe.

I don't know what she knew or didn't know nor if there was actually any "spying on the Trump campaign". The accusation has been made but with no evidence to back it up.

My Libertarian ideals are clearly stated in my previous post. It may suck, but it's the right of the employer to hire and fire who they wish when they wish.

This may be true, but I feel the station went way overboard in cancelling the whole show and putting hundreds out of work for the actions of one person. A better alternative would have been to kill off Barr in the show, let the show continue for a while while it died on it's own, giving people an opportunity to make other arrangements.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller, Carol Burnett, Bill Cosby (sorry, the man WAS funny), Tim Conway, Abbot and Costello, Red Foxx, George Burns, Henny Youngman, George Burns, Rodney Dangerfield, Robert Klein, Don Rickles, Lily Tomlin, Steve Martin...and that's just a few. When comedy truly was "King".

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A better alternative would have been to kill off Barr in the show, let the show continue for a while while it died on it's own, giving people an opportunity to make other arrangements.

That's not how you make dramatic political statements or virtue signal.

Chris0nllyn

This may be true, but I feel the station went way overboard in cancelling the whole show and putting hundreds out of work for the actions of one person. A better alternative would have been to kill off Barr in the show, let the show continue for a while while it died on it's own, giving people an opportunity to make other arrangements.

And I agree. It sucks losing your job because someone you work with said something dumb in the hyper-sensitive climate we're in.

As I said early in this thread, my bet is the network boss already didn't like her (or maybe the whole show) and was looking for a reason. I believe the ratings of the show were pretty good and plenty of people watched it.