Non-Ethanol Fuel

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not really ethanol related, but I stopped at the Shell station in Hollywood (old BubbaMart) to check the price of K1 kero.

:yikes:

$7.99/g. I used to buy 10 gallons with a roll of dimes from pocket change. Gotta see if my heater will use #2.
I quit using my kero heaters because of that and the limited availability. I used to buy it from two places just on 249 alone. None local now. I tried using #2 in my wick heaters and the burn zone on the wicks gets all charred and crudded up after some hours of burning and the heater gets stinky/smokey.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I quit using my kero heaters because of that and the limited availability. I used to buy it from two places just on 249 alone. None local now. I tried using #2 in my wick heaters and the burn zone on the wicks gets all charred and crudded up after some hours of burning and the heater gets stinky/smokey.
My heater is a vented unit with a real forced air burn chamber kinda like an oil burner, 40,000 BTUs. Heats the whole garage in no time. Manual specifically says only K1, but then says don't use fuel like gas or white gas, etc... Since the only real difference is purity and sulfur content, I think I'll try some #2 and check it for buildup after a few hours. Had this heater for nearly 25 years and have never had to service it.

images.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And back to non-Ethanol, I got a couple of gallons and ran an Ethanol content test, just because I was curious. Using a very non-laboratory method, it shows no Ethanol.

Note: don't leave gasoline in a plastic graduated cylinder. It will warp and melt. oops.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My heater is a vented unit with a real forced air burn chamber kinda like an oil burner, 40,000 BTUs. Heats the whole garage in no time. Manual specifically says only K1, but then says don't use fuel like gas or white gas, etc... Since the only real difference is purity and sulfur content, I think I'll try some #2 and check it for buildup after a few hours. Had this heater for nearly 25 years and have never had to service it.

View attachment 179697
That might be fine!. I'm sure you'll either report back or we'll be able to get a copy of the Fire Marshall's report..whichever..

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Got the snow thrower out of storage with the intention of purging the fuel system and replacing it with non-E fuel. I changed out 2 year old stabilized fuel with fresh stabilized fuel last fall. Very pleasantly surprised when I just dropped the bowl; not a bit of dirt, gel or rust. Drained the tank, the fuel was a bit dark. Filled it with the non-E fuel that I added Sta-Bil 360 to, as a fuel stabilizer, not an Ethanol concern. Started first pull. Greased everything, ran it dry, going back into storage. Next I'll do the Honda 3500 genny.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just FYI, the Sheetz non-E fuel dropped 1 cent to $4.00. I was sure it would have already been climbing.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think I'll try some #2
Ran the heater in the garage for about a half hour on #2 home heating fuel, not diesel from the gas station. On the highest flame setting, only noticed the tiniest bit of yellow in the tip of the blue flame. That may disappear with time, we'll see.

Did find an exhaust leak, kinda stinky starting up. Not sure I'll be able to find the high temp o'rings for it.