• Johnny Reb

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Damn good question

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
My mother's side were actually documented as being in Atlanta and one served as the pilot of a famous Ironclad warship for the South. My father's side was spread out more, but one prominent and directly traceable one fought at the Alamo (and there's a city in Texas named after him) and so I'd be willing to guess that side of the family was also Southern. So I voted Johnny Reb.

Given the choice in 1860, it would be very difficult for me to make up my mind. I suppose the slavery issue might have swayed me toward the North.

Good survey! :yay:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
elaine said:
I'm southern all the way. I was born in Florida, my mother is from Alabama and my pop is from North Carolina. I love everything that the south stands for, southern hospitality, southern drawl, mint juleps on the veranda, laid back afternoons in the sweltering heat. Men in light colored suits, women in fabric that caresses their curves. Spanish moss hanging from the limbs of trees, the scent of jasmine on the evening breeze. Salty foam on the ocean waves and sandy beaches sloughing away the edges. Pomp and circumstance interupted by a joke in poor taste and cigar smoke wafting through the room. The stroll through a friendly neighborhood, dotted with familiar smiling faces.....

:bawl: :sigh: I miss Carolina.

dustin

UAIOE
Didn't Maryland want to suceed to the Confederacy during the war but couldn't for one reason or another????

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I chose North. I chose North with a 2005 mind about slavery. I view the south with a lot of the wonderful represenations that Elaine brought forth, regardless of the era... but, now, having the knowledge that I/we do, I could not, in good conscience, ever choose to be a "Reb" in 1860. Ever.

fttrsbeerwench

PrchJrkr said:
South. Born in Virginia, raised in Southern Maryland.

May God bless his soul...

"Bless his heart"
He made me wanna eat grits again. :yum: :yum:

Gimme grits with gravy,
Gimme grits with cheese,
I'll take 'em when I can git 'em.
Just gimme some grits now please.
:lmao:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If it was 1860, I would be a repressed female who would be more concerend about her young'uns and what to serve with pheasant, and whether or not my sheets were starched enough, than what those silly menfolk were up to. :ohwell: And since I would have no political opinion, much less a thought of my own, and would be considered the property of my husband, no matter where I lived, I would have to pick none of the above. :shrug:

Ponytail

Yankee. The skiing just plain sucks in the South. Not to mention, when it DOES get that cold down yonder, between the southern twang and numb lips, there is NO way that I'd be able to understand a damn thing any of ya's rebels were talkin about. I wouldn't be able to tell if ya's were drunk, or freezing to death. :lol:

D

Dixie

elaine said:
I'm southern all the way. I was born in Florida, my mother is from Alabama and my pop is from North Carolina. I love everything that the south stands for, southern hospitality, southern drawl, mint juleps on the veranda, laid back afternoons in the sweltering heat. Men in light colored suits, women in fabric that caresses their curves. Spanish moss hanging from the limbs of trees, the scent of jasmine on the evening breeze. Salty foam on the ocean waves and sandy beaches sloughing away the edges. Pomp and circumstance interupted by a joke in poor taste and cigar smoke wafting through the room. The stroll through a friendly neighborhood, dotted with familiar smiling faces.....

and grits. You forgot grits.

gwa

Born and raised on the VA NC border, drinking good ole homemade corn whiskey, I do believe that I have some of Marcell, Udell and Clovis Ledbetter's blood in me. listen to CDB, Bocephus and Skynard

ocean733

Ponytail said:
Yankee. ...NO way that I'd be able to understand a damn thing any of ya's rebels were talkin about. I wouldn't be able to tell if ya's were drunk, or freezing to death. :lol:
:killingme When I first moved here, a friend (SOMD native) called and left a message on my machine. His accent is thicker than most here. I actually thought he was drunk.:otter:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
crabcake said:
:lol: I love Mimosa trees! NP had a ton of 'em in the yard of her last house, and I see about 20 new ones popping up through the ground at our house here. :smile: They're so pretty ... especially when they're in bloom with the hot pink blossoms.
We found and transplanted 3 to our yard here (had one in Goose Creek, S.C.); we moved them as seedlings from the woods. They're doing very well indeed!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now I'm definitely North because none of the things you Dixie Chicks are rhapsodizing about sound even remotely appealing to me. I'm an industry kind of person. I dig on the history of the steel mill and unions. I'm fascinated by old immigrant neighborhoods and Tammany Hall.

No mint julep for me, please - I'll have a Sam's. :cheers: